Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Criterion

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Criterion

Now that Toshiba is going to cease production of HD-DVD.

What's the timetable for Criterion to start releasing it's catalog of films on Blu-ray? (maybe by the end of 2008?)

Criterion releases are the only SD-DVD's I still purchase.
Old 02-19-08, 01:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
let me ask another (fun) question to the masses here:

what are your top five wish list titles

1) Playtime
2) The Last Emperor
3) Fanny and Alexander
4) The River
5) Black Orpheus

Last edited by Giles; 02-19-08 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-19-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love the upcoming Ice Storm on BD so I don't have to buy the SD version. But I doubt that's possible for a March title.
Old 02-19-08, 01:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
I want every single Kurosawa title released as soon as possible, accepting that it's going to take Criterion awhile to ramp up on this. But yeah... the Kurosawa films should be first... IMO.

edit: did not mean that to sound like "get off your lazy asses, Criterion!". More like "when you are capable, make these a priority... please!"

Last edited by Dan; 02-19-08 at 01:34 PM. Reason: tone
Old 02-19-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope day and date with DVD happens, but I don't know. Might be more likely to see a just few of the biggest most popular titles first. Can Criterion sustain 3 types of products? Blu, DVD and their Eclipse line? Would we get Blu Eclipse movies unrestored?

But a big x2 on Playtime Blu Ray. Hell yeah!
Old 02-19-08, 01:49 PM

If Criterion were to go Blu, I would think that the first titles that they would release would be-
Seven Samurai
Ran
Brazil
Playtime
Wes Anderson Films *Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums,The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. Since Criterion has the rights to all the extras and I don't see Disney putting them on Blu anything soon at all I think that Critieron would put them out to make some extra $$$ and see how sales would do.*
The Seventh Seal
Thats about all I can think of that I would think Criterion would start off with if they were going to start making Blu Ray discs.
Old 02-19-08, 01:54 PM

Quote from a Q & A on Criterion's site.

Will Criterion be releasing its catalog in Blu-Ray or HD DVD?

We know this is a concern for many of our customers, but we honestly don’t think consumers should have to take a stand in a format war. That said, we know how good our films can look in high definition because we’ve been doing all our mastering and restoration in HD for years. But the format war has as much to do with patent licenses and pressing plants as it does with putting gorgeous images on your screen. At this point, any solution that would let consumers upgrade with confidence would be a step in the right direction, and as soon as that solution emerges, we’ll be there.
Old 02-19-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Which would I buy? Too many Criterion titles to even list.
Old 02-19-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Here a question for you all:

Since Blu-Ray typically has 20-33% high list price than its DVD counterpart, would you still be willing to buy Criterion Blu-Ray's if they see the same kind of markups?

For instance, something like House Of games or Days Of Heaven has a $40 list and sells for $25-$30. Would you buy a Blu-Ray of it for more than that?
Old 02-19-08, 02:29 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts
As a Canadian, I'd easily pay $40 CAD for a single title. Maybe $50 CAD... if it qualifies on my complete subjective "worth-it-o-meter".
Old 02-19-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Since Criterion prides itself on exclusive extras, I would imagine that they will take their time putting out titles on Blu-ray, so that they can develop new, interactive features previously impossible on DVD. they ought to be the one company that will push the envelope in doing truly innovative things with PiP, BD-live, and other interactive content.
Old 02-19-08, 02:37 PM

I think my maximum price I would pay for a single disc would be $40 - (maybe) $50. At $50 blind buys would stop. And at either price point I would be very selective of titles I'd replace.
Old 02-19-08, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank
Since Criterion prides itself on exclusive extras, I would imagine that they will take their time putting out titles on Blu-ray, so that they can develop new, interactive features previously impossible on DVD. they ought to be the one company that will push the envelope in doing truly innovative things with PiP, BD-live, and other interactive content.
I used to assume Criterion meant quality. But then I was severely disappointed with their release of the Red Shoes which IMO left a lot to be desired in picture quality. Same with the release of Sid & Nancy which looked just as if the only thing they did was convert the laserdisc release over to DVD.

So , I dunoo... I really don't see them as that big a deal anymore. I'm more excited now if we get a remastered major studio release of a classic more than I am getting a Criterion release.
Old 02-19-08, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by whomod
I used to assume Criterion meant quality. But then I was severely disappointed with their release of the Red Shoes which IMO left a lot to be desired in picture quality. Same with the release of Sid & Nancy which looked just as if the only thing they did was convert the laserdisc release over to DVD.

So , I dunoo... I really don't see them as that big a deal anymore. I'm more excited now if we get a remastered major studio release of a classic more than I am getting a Criterion release.

and now you have The Last Emperor where the OAR was compromised from it's 2.35:1 image cropped to 2.20 due to the demands of the director of photography and not Bertolucci himself... shame, shame, shame....
Old 02-19-08, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by whomod
Both of those releases were laserdisc ports, and both were released over eight years ago.

But I know what you are saying: I don't know if I can bear to sit through "There Will Be Blood" because that "Parallax View" DVD is kinda shitty.
Old 02-19-08, 03:05 PM

I can give them a pass on RED SHOES and SID AND NANCY since those were early titles from 98/99 and definitely were LD transfers.

Sad about THE LAST EMPEROR. I hadn't heard that. At least it's not as far off as APOCALYPSE NOW is at 2:1
Old 02-19-08, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by theWitcher
Both of those releases were laserdisc ports, and both were released over eight years ago.

But I know what you are saying: I don't know if I can bear to sit through "There Will Be Blood" because that "Parallax View" DVD is kinda shitty.
I'm not sure if you're trying to be snarky there but it really isn't the same thing.
Old 02-19-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Favorite Criterion titles? I don't know but Charade and The Third Man pop to mind. I may be waiting a long time on those, however.
Old 02-19-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
and now you have The Last Emperor where the OAR was compromised from it's 2.35:1 image cropped to 2.20 due to the demands of the director of photography and not Bertolucci himself... shame, shame, shame....
Actually the image was cropped to 2.00:1....shame indeed.

Crazy, old cinematographers should be kept away from their films.

Last edited by BuckNaked2k; 02-19-08 at 06:35 PM.
Old 02-19-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Red Shoes is one of the first titles I'd buy barring it was a brand new HD transfer.
Old 02-19-08, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k

oops, that's right I was going with the alternate 70mm aspect ratio (2.20) and not the new cropped ratio number - anyway the new cropping still sucks
Old 02-19-08, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k

Thanks. Cancelling my pre-order.
Old 02-19-08, 09:27 PM
Banned

Just give me Contempt.
Old 02-19-08, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
As much as I want to upgrade a lot of Criterions I have no doubt their pricing will prevent that. I will upgrade the ones I really love like Third Man and Seven Samurai first and work on the others as I get the money.
Old 02-19-08, 10:15 PM

I suppose people with any shred of taste can concern themselves with high-definition DVD now.

Mostly kidding, of course, but it's nice to see a thread without all the childish "format warrior" prattle!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.