Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD DVD officially dead. Universal and Paramount going Blu.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD DVD officially dead. Universal and Paramount going Blu.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 05:17 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frozenhamster
I don't even get the animosity toward Bill Hunt. The guy called it, way before anybody seemed willing to, because the stats clearly showed that bluray would have the better chance at winning. At first I wasn't sure to believe him, but by November I realized there wasn't a chance, even with the Paramount defection, that bluray was going to lose it. I bought a PS3 mainly as a bluray player over the xbox 360, which was my preferred choice, because I listened to Bill Hunt.

He knew his stuff and he called it right. I have him to thank for setting my mind at ease enough to jump in on bluray even before the format war was over. Since that time I have enjoyed many great bluray releases and I clearly made the right choice.

Anybody who complains about Bill Hunt's journalistic integrity is being silly. He isn't a journalist. He simply gives his opinion and thoughts about dvd and anything related to it. All he tried to do by staunchly supporting bluray was help dvd fans and consumers make an informed decision about their next steps into the high-def market.
I'm with you, but good luck arguing this to most people. It's a tough crowd out there...

I am so relieved this thing is over! Sony/BDA needs to release some positive statements about HD-DVD and the excellent competition it provided, as soon as possible. They won this thing, but at times they seemed to be leading by the skin of their teeth. Who could overlook such a valiant effort by Toshiba, when they clearly didn't have much momentum behind them to start with? Universal showed loyalty, and even though I've been waiting on them to go Blu, there's really something to be said for that as well. Then of course there's the Paramount deal that almost evened the war out (just ask Howard "Stalemate" Stringer). As a Blu-ray supporter, HD-DVD was a pesky competitor, but it simply couldn't be ignored!

I don't know about anyone else, but the rise, fight, and fall of HD-DVD will vividly remain in my memory, unlike the Betamax's and Divx's of the world. Today I have nothing but high praises for Toshiba and HD-DVD, but I'm not neutral- I'm 100% Blu and it's a beautiful thing!
Old 02-19-08, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been a Blu-ray supporter since late 2006, when I purchased my 20 gig PS3 from Wal-Mart for the low low price of $500. My original plan was to wait until the format war was over, but when I saw the PS3 sitting there on the shelf, I decided I'd buy it, then let it sit for a week before I opened it. In the meantime, I spent a lot of time at all the media forums (here, HTF, AVS) reading about the pros and cons of each format. Just from a technological standpoint, I liked Blu better, and at the time, had the hunch that it would eventually win, but would be awhile.
Anyway, I finally went ahead and cracked the box of the PS3, and haven't regretted it since. I still mostly watch titles I rent from Netflix, but have bought around 25 or so titles as well. Even if it's an incomplete format (still), I've been greatly impressed with it.
Early this year, after the Warner announcement, and the subsequent firesale on HD-DVD players, I also picked up a Toshiba A30 player. I figured that as a format, it would hang on for at least most of 2008, and I would just rent titles I wanted to see from Netflix. That plan went out the window of course, so now I have an HD-DVD player with 3 titles (300, The Bourne Identity, and Zodiac), that I'll probably put on eBay as soon as I can't rent HD titles from Netflix anymore (I'd like to at least get through S1 of Battlestar Galactica, which I haven't seen yet). I have to say I haven't been terribly impressed with the durability of HD-DVD discs... 3 of the 5 discs I've received from Netflix have had issues.

In any case, I'm very happy this format war is over. I'm hoping we see announcements from Paramount/Dreamworks and Universal announcing their move to Blu, and hope that all the studios start to step up their release schedule, and for some studios, drop the MSRP on new titles (I'm looking at you, Fox!). I don't really expect Blu-ray to take over from DVD, but I think it'll be more than just a niche product, too.
Old 02-19-08, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I think will Bill Hunt, people didn't hate so much of what he said as how he said it.
Old 02-19-08, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Glad I didn't get caught up in this HD DVD/Blue Ray hype.
+1
Old 02-19-08, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Well, I bought an HD-DVD player duing the Amazon sale last Christmas, and I don't regret my decision. For around $150 I got a perfectly good upscaling DVD player that can also play some high-def movies, plus 10 free HD movies. Sure, I won't be able to buy any new movies in this format, but I take a Buddhist view of these things. Nothing is meant to last forever, although more than 2 months would have been nice.

Still to quote another bit of entertainment that died much too soon, "I may have been on the losing side. I'm still not convinced it was the wrong one."
Old 02-19-08, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally Posted by Truffaut Fan
Ding Dong, the witch is dead!!
Did Hillary drop out of the race? Opps, sorry...wrong forum.
Old 02-19-08, 07:06 AM

Hey, after a few years of this back n forth we're entitled to do the blu-ray happy dance.

HIP HIP BLU-RAYYYYYYYYYYY!
Old 02-19-08, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Frozenhamster
I don't even get the animosity toward Bill Hunt. The guy called it,
Please, we all called it when the format war started. However, many of us took the chance on HD DVD and it was a chance worth taking with the lower cost and Blu-ray's terrible 2006. HD DVD battled much harder than many of us thought it would when this war began.

I have zero regrets and will continue to use my remaining HD DVDs.
Old 02-19-08, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
How many standalone BluRay players were sold (so far)?

Last edited by tonyc3742; 02-19-08 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-19-08, 07:23 AM

I guess the question now is, how long will the remaining studios put out HD DVDs? Or will they stop immediately due to this announcement?

There were still a few releases like "I Am Legend" that I was looking foward to.
Old 02-19-08, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Q: Any plans to adopt Blu-ray?
A: No plans at all, not at this moment.
At this moment?

Yeah, you can bet they will have Blu player out by 4thQ. No doubt. They are not going to announce that HD DVD is dead and annouce their upcoming Blu Ray plans on the same day!

The press release states that will continue to "Support" HD DVD owners. I don't know what that means, but it doesn't look completly unlikley that Tosh will make a BR player that supports HD DVD.
Old 02-19-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sbelli
I guess the question now is, how long will the remaining studios put out HD DVDs? Or will they stop immediately due to this announcement?

There were still a few releases like "I Am Legend" that I was looking foward to.
If you're into HDM, you might as well continue to support it through Blu-ray. "I Am Legend" has several Blu-ray exclusive bonus features on it. Though to answer your question, I can see Warner releasing all the HD-DVD titles that they've already begun pressing. I would be more certain of getting "IAL" on HD-DVD than "Twister".
Old 02-19-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Now that HD-DVD is officially phased out, let's hope that the new Blu-ray player chipsets will drastically reduce the cost of players so we can get Profile 2.0 (BD-Live) players under US$250 by this fall.
Old 02-19-08, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With HD-A3 price going down to $100 and it being a great upconvert machine, I just may get one. HD movies can be had for $10 and they are dropping with people getting rid of their collections and stores clearing out. Now is the time to start a collection like what happened with Laserdisc. There is some great stuff currently in HD that has not yet been put on BRD. I've been thinking about getting a machine and the 2+5 free and clean up on some of DDD sales on HD with another $100 or so. I've been thinking about this for a week and still have not decided. Note: I already have a BR machine and about 40 movies.
Old 02-19-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't regret getting an A2 back when they dropped to $100, plus I got 10 free movies with it. Do I wish this would've turned out another way? Sure. But I invested in a PS3 in January to prepare for the day to come. And it has. At least I can still enjoy HD movies that aren't available in BD yet.
Old 02-19-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Needless to say I'm happy with the news and look forward to getting Para/Uni titles on Blu. However, with the Toshiba announcement I just went and ordered an A3 from Amazon along with the three HD-DVD's I can't wait to have brought over to Blu, The Thing, The Breakfast Club and Dawn of The Dead (2004). Everything else I will wait on.
Old 02-19-08, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
Needless to say I'm happy with the news and look forward to getting Para/Uni titles on Blu. However, with the Toshiba announcement I just went and ordered an A3 from Amazon along with the three HD-DVD's I can't wait to have brought over to Blu, The Thing, The Breakfast Club and Dawn of The Dead (2004). Everything else I will wait on.
Agreed! Didn't realize how much Paramount and Universal actually controlled until I was forced to consider titles that until now would never make it to Blu-ray. Serenity NOW!
Old 02-19-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Both Blu Ray and HD DVD make the Google top 100 trends.

http://www.google.com/trends/hottrends
Old 02-19-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Come on Paramount. Get yr blu-rays sorted out before There Will Be Blood is due.
Old 02-19-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jericho
I think will Bill Hunt, people didn't hate so much of what he said as how he said it.

Exactly.
Old 02-19-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully, there will be a mass selloff of HD-DVD titles now that I can scoop up. Too bad there was such a poor selection of titles.

I just hope that there is a cheaper Blu-ray player on the horizon.
Old 02-19-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
When this war began, I was really on the fence about what I wanted. On the one hand, I have a strong disdain for Sony (crappy products, high prices, impossible customer service) and it seemed early that HD-DVD was going to dominate.

Gradually as this continued, Blu-Ray was showing major advances (Profile 1.1/2.0, "scratch proof" disc, 50 GB of storage), which as a techno geek intrigued me. So I went into Best Buy and checked out a demo of both. To me it became clear Blu-Ray was the better option...but HD-DVD had some nifty tricks (U-control and the like). Then when the muckraking started, you could see both camps were reaching at straws. The prices of HD-DVD dropped and that to me signaled the end.

So now after not making a move, I can safely say I will go Blu once Paramount/Universal announce Blu titles. And that will let prices on players drop (I hope) and I am all set.
Old 02-19-08, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just heard the news of Toshiba officially euthanizing the HD-DVD on this morning's news. Now the ever-present red "stand-by" light on my HD-A3 just stares back emptily at me, taunting me.
Old 02-19-08, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I didn't and don't like Bill Hunt simply because he has a holier than thou attitude on everything he writes. It isn't so much what he writes, it's how he writes. He's annoying.

That all said, bummer, but as long as BD stays alive, I'm a-ok.
Old 02-19-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I was in a Walmart last night and they FINALLY have a Blu Ray display and the one I frequent most often. They used to just have two small shelves that would hold about 3 discs as their selection. The only HD title I saw there was Ocean's 13 (I think).

The Best Buy I visit was definitely low on stock on the HD DVD, so I guess they already started the non-restock process.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.