HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Question about Blu-Ray and HDTV

Old 02-17-08, 02:25 AM
Cool New Member

Question about Blu-Ray and HDTV

Hey guys,

I'm buying a PS3 next week, and I'm looking forward to jumping on the Blu-Ray wagon. The thing is, there are a couple of things I'm concerned about and don't quite understand about Blu-Ray. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed on the back on Blu-Ray cases, the movies are in 1080p resolution. Does that mean that in order to watch the movie in high definition, you have to have a TV that supports 1080p, or does that mean that it goes UP TO 1080p? My HDTV is native 1080i and supports both 1080i & 720p and I'm worried about Blu-Ray pretty much being worthless for me. If I am forced to watch everything in 480p, there is no reason for me to waste the extra cash on Blu-Ray discs.

Can anybody shed some light on this for me? Thanks!
Old 02-17-08, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

No worries. The PS3 will output in 1080i (or 720p or any of the other usual resolutions).
Old 02-17-08, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You don't need to have a 1080p tv to watch high def movies. The PS3 will convert the signal to match your TV.

For the most part, the difference between 1080i and 1080p is negligible for most people anyway so don't worry about that.
Old 02-17-08, 02:34 AM
Cool New Member

Great, thanks guys. I heard that the PS3 was having issues with 1080i resolutions but I believe thats all been fixed in a firmware update by now. Thanks again.
Old 02-17-08, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're probably referring to how many 720p games won't output in 1080i. This is a problem for those with CRT displays because many of of them will only accept 1080i for HD input It's up to the game producer to provide the ability to scale to 1080i. Your set should be fine anyway if it's LCD, plasma, DLP, or LCoS.
Old 02-17-08, 01:03 PM
Cool New Member

Actually mine is CRT
Old 02-17-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FaintDeftone
Actually mine is CRT
Do you have Component and/or HDMI inputs in the back on your TV?

Either way you will need to buy the appropriate cables as the PS3 only include Composite (Red/White/Yellow). HDMI cables are $5 at monoprice.com and the PS3 Component Cables usually run about $20-$25 (they are special ones make for the PS2/PS3 connection)
Old 02-17-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FaintDeftone
Actually mine is CRT
Well, do you know if it will accept 720p input? If it can't, you'll be screwed for some of the games (which would display at 480p), but movies will still work fine. If you're thinking about buying a game, you'll want to carefully research it to see if it will scale to or render at 1080i/p.
Old 02-17-08, 11:19 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Drexl
Well, do you know if it will accept 720p input? If it can't, you'll be screwed for some of the games (which would display at 480p), but movies will still work fine. If you're thinking about buying a game, you'll want to carefully research it to see if it will scale to or render at 1080i/p.
Yeah, mine does 720p. I found this out when I hooked my 360 up to it the day I got the TV. I remember trying to decide which resolution I should use.

And yes, my TV has two sets of component inputs and two HDMI inputs. I'm working on getting HDMI cables now. I have an upconverting DVD player that I need an HDMI cable for too.

Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciate it.