Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD DVD is near death... All articles, rumors, etc. HERE

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD DVD is near death... All articles, rumors, etc. HERE

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 12:05 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
They actually have a pretty good slate, especially for March. (I'd argue that they have the best slate of any studio on either format at the moment, honestly.)
Into the Wild, Things we lost in the fire, Bee movie, Jack Ryan Collection, and Kite Runner...Didn't realize there were that many titles scheduled to come out. Wonder how many we will actually see now?
Old 02-17-08, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to blind buy Into the Wild.

What do we know about European releases? Still on track? Probably too early to know, but I am ready to drop some coinage on Germany's Death Proof Steelbook release and T2.
Old 02-17-08, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Into the Wild, Things we lost in the fire, Bee movie, Jack Ryan Collection, and Kite Runner...Didn't realize there were that many titles scheduled to come out. Wonder how many we will actually see now?
Personally, I would just find it absolutely hilarious if "The Jack Ryan Collection" got pulled and dumped again....the whole saga behind that box set is such a joke, I think it would be a fitting end to it to just not ever be officially released (if Paramount does decide to pull the plug on any further HD DVD releases and go back to Blu due to Toshiba's decision)....
Old 02-17-08, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Because its an 8 month old "catalog" movie it won't sell anywhere near 100k.
It's been out for less than four months.
Old 02-17-08, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by abrg923
It's also not coming out on Blu-ray this coming Tuesday. He was making a point by picking an arbitrary number since there hasn't been an official announcement or anything.
Old 02-17-08, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It may not sell a lot because for the most part the majority of people who bought that title were probably format neutral anyway. Unless those people sell of their HD-DVD stuff en masse, I don't think you'll see a substantial number of people buy Transformers on BD.
Old 02-17-08, 02:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
It's also not coming out on Blu-ray this coming Tuesday. He was making a point by picking an arbitrary number since there hasn't been an official announcement or anything.

God Damn !!!....why don't you and Gizmo get a room already...the format war was lost a while a go...why don't you go pitch a tent and continue your circle-jerk in privacy of your own thread !!!...Jesus H. Christ !!!
Old 02-17-08, 04:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
It may not sell a lot because for the most part the majority of people who bought that title were probably format neutral anyway. Unless those people sell of their HD-DVD stuff en masse, I don't think you'll see a substantial number of people buy Transformers on BD.
I think that is underestimating the movie. Im going to buy 2 copies (literally) of transformers on Blu-Ray, since i plan on wearing out one copy due to the constant use it will receive. Every single PS3 owner i know is going to buy it, there are forum threads on tons of forums prepping to buy it. It will be a HUGE hit on blu-ray.
Old 02-17-08, 07:31 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by QuePaso
Im going to buy 2 copies (literally) of transformers on Blu-Ray, since i plan on wearing out one copy due to the constant use it will receive.
Wow, such a big fan for just an average movie, a big fan that wasn't willing to pay $99 for a HD-DVD player back in November to watch the movie when it was released. I know that you realize that you can't really wear the disc out with multiple replays, but I smelled the bs anyway.
Old 02-17-08, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggawhat
I got rid of my copy last month in anticipation of Paramount putting it out on Blu.

Even if I still owned it, I would have still picked up the BD just to see if the LFE was better.
Old 02-17-08, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Paramount also has Sweeney Todd on 4/1 and There Will Be Blood on 4/8. I hope Blu versions of those will show up soon after those dates.
Old 02-17-08, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by WMAangel
Personally, I would just find it absolutely hilarious if "The Jack Ryan Collection" got pulled and dumped again....the whole saga behind that box set is such a joke, I think it would be a fitting end to it to just not ever be officially released (if Paramount does decide to pull the plug on any further HD DVD releases and go back to Blu due to Toshiba's decision)....

Oh I'll never get that damn set. I was able to pre-order it from MTV on Blu-Ray using a coupon and free shipping (back when MTV had that deal). I thought I was getting a great price. Alas it was cancelled and I couldn't even reuse the coupon. So I ordered it on HD DVD from FYE. between the coupon and rebate, I figured it was a pretty good price. Again cancelled. Threw in a hail mary order on DVDEmpire. Cancelled. I'll never get that damn thing, and everytime I try I seem to get a worse deal on it.
Old 02-17-08, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
If the Jack Ryan set makes it out on Blu, I'll have an HD DVD set available for sale.
Old 02-17-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sweeney Todd and There Will Be Blood will be available on bluray as imports if they decide to release it which I'm certain is going to happen.
Old 02-17-08, 08:48 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PerryD
Wow, such a big fan for just an average movie, a big fan that wasn't willing to pay $99 for a HD-DVD player back in November to watch the movie when it was released. I know that you realize that you can't really wear the disc out with multiple replays, but I smelled the bs anyway.
Why should i spend more money to buy a movie in HD i knew would one day come out on the format i already own anyway? That is silly. You sir, are silly. And i am buying 2 copies, i love the movie so much, HUGE transformers fan when i was a kid (had so many of the toys, watched the tv show everytime it was on the air). So yah, i do plan on watching it quite often, and i want 2 copies. Is there an issue with that?
Old 02-17-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Music
Does quoting it and calling it FUD help?
Yes.
Old 02-17-08, 11:07 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
And i am buying 2 copies, i love the movie so much So yah, i do plan on watching it quite often, and i want 2 copies. Is there an issue with that?
I own the movie in high def and have used it for demo purposes, so I do think the movie is worth owning. I don't believe for a second that you are buying 2 copies, rather you are just saying this hoping to create some sort of anticipation of this title among blu-ray owners to generate higher than expected sales when this title is eventually released. Good luck with this effort.
Old 02-17-08, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Personally, if I were to get a Blu Ray player (which is a possibility depending on new models/profiles and pricing), I think I'd keep my HD-DVD version unless I can find the BD one on the cheap (ie < $15). Getting lossless audio is not worth the "upgrade".
Old 02-17-08, 11:12 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by abrg923
It will take Paramount 60-90 days to get it released, so 8 months would be about right. Its still a catalog title, regardless of how big it was at the box office. Any movie 2-4 weeks after release has a huge drop off of potential sales, hence why we normally will see price reductions on them on DVD.
Old 02-17-08, 11:17 AM
Suspended

I think that is underestimating the movie. Im going to buy 2 copies (literally) of transformers on Blu-Ray, since i plan on wearing out one copy due to the constant use it will receive. Every single PS3 owner i know is going to buy it, there are forum threads on tons of forums prepping to buy it. It will be a HUGE hit on blu-ray.

Ok, you do know you really can't wear out a DVD (or Blu-ray), right?

Plus, with that extra coat protection it should be durable for at least 10 years of constant playback! My Best Buy has had the same 'Batman Begins/Paramount' Blu-ray demo disc running for almost 2 years straight.

As I stated before, WE are a minority. Just because you and a couple dozen buddies from Blu-ray.com are going gaga for this movie does not mean an instant 100k sold. It is now a catalog title that is available for under $10 on DVD at almost every other store. The HD DVD has been on sale numerous times, including this past week in a BOGO. Everyone that really wants this movie already has it. The only people buying it would be Blu-ray fans, people that need the PCM track (which is still rumored, along with this title), and P.O.ed HD DVD fans.
Old 02-17-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts
Im going to buy 2 copies (literally) of transformers on Blu-Ray, since i plan on wearing out one copy due to the constant use it will receive.
Please let me know how a BD "wears out".

Every single PS3 owner i know is going to buy it, there are forum threads on tons of forums prepping to buy it.
Of course, some PS3 owners like me already purchased it on HD DVD (cheap). I have no intention of rebuying it on BD.
Old 02-17-08, 11:24 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by cultshock
Please let me know how a BD "wears out".
I was worried about HD DVD wearing out, so I bought 12 copies of Cat People on Amazon. By my last count, I own 22% of all copies sold in the USA!
Old 02-17-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
Of course, some PS3 owners like me already purchased it on HD DVD (cheap). I have no intention of rebuying it on BD.
It was actually a title I picked up free and I have no intention of buying it again on BD.
Old 02-17-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
If I went with Blu Ray, the only titles I intend to rebuy are those damn combo discs, namely Bourne Ultimatum (when Uni goes BD) and Ocean's 13.
Old 02-17-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
cute gif,

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.