Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Casablanca HD DVD "Currently unavailable" at Amazon

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-08, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the first sign that the end is near for WB titles on HD DVD. When you call up this title the following is posted: "Warner Bros. has announced plans to discontinue its support of the HD DVD format after May 31, 2008."
I was hoping to find a deal on this title, but I'm a little late. I wonder how long it will take for other titles to follow?
Old 02-13-08, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or they are currently sold out. This happened a few weeks ago with The Kingdom and a few other discs. It will be back in no time, and has nothing to do at this point with Warner's decision.
Old 02-13-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It could. Didn't WB say they were not pressing new runs of the existing HD DVD titles?
Old 02-13-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Given how Amazon has displayed some titles in the past, I would tend to think this is just a stock issue at this point. I also find it hard to believe that Warner has run out of Casablanca's to send out.
Old 02-13-08, 07:16 PM
Banned

Down with OOP, yeah you know me!
Old 02-13-08, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The real question is - Will they press it on BD?

I know that we've all had this conversation about 34203 times in the past.

But how many copies of :

The Searchers
Bullitt
The Getaway
Forbidden Planet
etc.

were even pressed?

10,000, 50,000 copies?
Old 02-13-08, 07:34 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Pressed? How about sold...some as low as less then 1000 copies...
Old 02-13-08, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All I know is I have my copies of Casablanca, The Searchers & Forbidden Planet on my shelf, so I am good .
Old 02-13-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Quake1028
All I know is I have my copies of Casablanca, The Searchers & Forbidden Planet on my shelf, so I am good .
+1
Old 02-13-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
i would imagine the stock is just temporarily low/out because of the B2G1. this statement:
"Warner Bros. has announced plans to discontinue its support of the HD DVD format after May 31, 2008."
has been there since the Warner announcement for all Warner titles currently in and out of stock.
Old 02-13-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
It could. Didn't WB say they were not pressing new runs of the existing HD DVD titles?
I do believe they are not pressing anymore catalog titles as of the beginning of this year. What they have is what they have.
Old 02-14-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by True_Story1011
The real question is - Will they press it on BD?

I know that we've all had this conversation about 34203 times in the past.

But how many copies of :

The Searchers
Bullitt
The Getaway
Forbidden Planet
etc.

were even pressed?

10,000, 50,000 copies?
Unless George Feltenstein was deliberately misinforming Bill Hunt of the Digital Bits, they will be pressing Casablanca on BD and releasing it this year. He even reported that The Adventures of Robin Hood would be among the first of the Warner classics currently exclusive to HD-DVD to make its way to BD this year.
Old 02-14-08, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Unless George Feltenstein was deliberately misinforming Bill Hunt of the Digital Bits, they will be pressing Casablanca on BD and releasing it this year.
Old 02-14-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Unless George Feltenstein was deliberately misinforming Bill Hunt of the Digital Bits, they will be pressing Casablanca on BD and releasing it this year.
Works for me, too!
Old 02-14-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Same here.
Old 02-14-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I do believe they are not pressing anymore catalog titles as of the beginning of this year. What they have is what they have.
I can't find the reference, but I remember reading the same thing. The "exit strategy" that Warner was going to follow was that the titles that were already available on HD DVD would cease production immediately, but the titles already announced for the first half of the year would still see a release on HD DVD, although a delayed one.

Now, that doesn't mean that the Amazon situation indicates that there are no more Casablanca discs left. It could just be a restocking issue. But it does mean that when Warner's existing inventory runs out, that will be it.
Old 02-14-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmmm, interesting....now should I hang onto my sealed Casablanca....or trade it away...hmmmm.
Old 02-14-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad
I can't find the reference, but I remember reading the same thing. The "exit strategy" that Warner was going to follow was that the titles that were already available on HD DVD would cease production immediately
does anyone have a link for this? it's not in the warner press release and i haven't been able to find confirmation anywhere by doing a search.
Old 02-14-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank
does anyone have a link for this? it's not in the warner press release and i haven't been able to find confirmation anywhere by doing a search.
I wish I could find it. I am fairly confident that I didn't imagine it, but you never know.
Old 02-15-08, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Pressed? How about sold...some as low as less then 1000 copies...
oh, how did you come about that info?
Old 02-15-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by whotony
oh, how did you come about that info?
One of the saddest casualties of the format war have been some catalog titles. With potential customers split across both sides of the aisle, and most potential customers "waiting it out", there have been some catalog titles that have sold very poorly.

But I would really be very surprised if Casablanca was one of them. Was it?
Old 02-15-08, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wish I could find it. I am fairly confident that I didn't imagine it, but you never know.

it's here, post 34
Old 02-15-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I can't find the reference, but I remember reading the same thing. The "exit strategy" that Warner was going to follow was that the titles that were already available on HD DVD would cease production immediately, but the titles already announced for the first half of the year would still see a release on HD DVD, although a delayed one.

Now, that doesn't mean that the Amazon situation indicates that there are no more Casablanca discs left. It could just be a restocking issue. But it does mean that when Warner's existing inventory runs out, that will be it.
In addition, when HD DVD buyers notice the time for delivery is around two weeks, or the title is currently OOS, but is backordered, is a direct sign the warehouses are being liquidated. In the DeepDiscount HD DVD sale, many titles aren't available now, and are backordered, meaning the studio warehouse is being sent an order. Amazon usually says a backordered title is available in "1 to 2 weeks" or something. But when they say "unavailable", I'm pretty sure you won't see it being sold direct from Amazon, ever again. But many other places sell it--not to mention the sellers on Amazon are selling Casablanca sealed and brand new, so it's no big deal at this point. And even if say, Amazon is notified of a recently discovered box found in a warehouse, I'm not sure Amazon is going to sell something like HD DVD after they say it's unavailable. But I could be wrong. And we'll see if Casablanca is available again. I still haven't bought the movie myself, and I dunno, I never was a fan of it per se. But if it looks rather nice, I might go ahead and find a copy somewhere.

Hell, I guarantee you, we will have situations where you or maybe I will be flipping through some "$4.99" titles at Best Buy or Wal-Mart or wherever, and we'll see an HD DVD title or two for the same price. There will be many "gems" to be found all over the US in retail establishments. Maybe even a Pan's Labyrinth or Zodiac for $4.99. Somebody will post they found one and I can almost hear HD DVD owners starting up their cars and all heading to a local Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

Might even check Goodwill later this year.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 02-15-08 at 11:13 PM.
Old 02-15-08, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Hell, I guarantee you, we will have situations where you or maybe I will be flipping through some "$4.99" titles at Best Buy or Wal-Mart or wherever, and we'll see an HD DVD title or two for the same price. There will be many "gems" to be found all over the US in retail establishments. Maybe even a Pan's Labyrinth or Zodiac for $4.99. Somebody will post they found one and I can almost hear HD DVD owners starting up their cars and all heading to a local Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

Might even check Goodwill later this year.

If I can pick up titles that cheap, I will definitely buy some (and share the knowledge with my fellow 'Talkers, of course ). And if there is a $49 clearance on one of the player models, like the A30, I might pick up one or two, just to have as spares. After all, while I do expect to replace a few of my HD DVDs with their eventual BD counterparts (assuming that there's enough of a reason to double dip), I imagine that most of what I already have will be hanging around for a long while, so I may as well make certain that I have something to play them on.
Old 02-20-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.amazon.com/Casablanca-HD-...3548977&sr=1-2

Or they are currently sold out. This happened a few weeks ago with The Kingdom and a few other discs. It will be back in no time, and has nothing to do at this point with Warner's decision.
This guy is pretty smart .

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.