Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Netflix chooses Blu-Ray, dropping HD DVD from Rentals.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Netflix chooses Blu-Ray, dropping HD DVD from Rentals.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-08, 08:34 AM
Political Exile

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts
I got Beowulf and Assassination of Jesse James on HD-DVD from Blockbuster Online shipped yesterday. My local Blockbuster store (Danada Blockbuster in Wheaton IL) stocked 3 copies of American Gangster (and multiple copies of other new releases like Brave One, Bourne Ultimatum, The Kingdom, etc). I had been using Netflix off and on since the beginning, but it's hard to believe how crappy they are treating their HD-DVD customers.
Old 02-26-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Deftones
Just a bump up. Netflix says they are ramping Blu Ray stock. That is good news.
I wonder if that explains why I finally received Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End after being on my queue for 6+ weeks with "Very Long Wait". (And after all that, it certainly wasn't worth the wait!)

Now if I could just get Superbad...
Old 02-26-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by steebo777
Beowulf in my queue was removed completely as an HD DVD and replaced as a DVD. Same with Into the Wild. WTF?
Netflix said it would net get anymore new release HD-DVD's in after their BD announcement a few weeks back. Since those two are just being released now, they're not getting them in.
Old 02-26-08, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also got Assasination of Jesse James on HD from Blockbuster shipped yesterday.

After many months with Netflix for HD, I say good riddence for dumping HD like this. It would have faded out on its own. Hell, with as many cancellations as there has been with HD, even Blockbuster won't be getting many more HD new releases in (to no fault of their own).
Old 02-26-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sbelli
Hell, with as many cancellations as there has been with HD, even Blockbuster won't be getting many more HD new releases in (to no fault of their own).
What HD cancellations?

Are you referring to specific titles, or stores cancelling affiliations?

I'm fairly certain there were far more blu titles delayed/cancelled than there ever were HD, but I could be mistaken. I just don't remember that being an issue.
Old 02-26-08, 09:53 AM

^^ I was just referring to the fact that there are only a few more HD DVD titles slated to come out and some of them, such as "There Will Be Blood" have already been cancelled. I suspect things like "I Am Legend" and the "Bee Movie" may follow the same route.

Prior to the Warner Brothers and Toshiba annoucements, yes, there were fewer cancellations on HD DVD than there were Blu-Ray. But now that the end is near for HD DVD, the few titles that are left may be cancelled. That's all I was referring too. As a result, that's why BB may get very few new HD DVD releases in as well.
Old 02-26-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
....I suspect things like "I Am Legend" and the "Bee Movie" may follow the same route.
I'm set up for HD DVD as my preferred format. In my queue, I Am Legend, now shows as Format: DVD.

Cross another one off the list.

Edit: Bee Movie not available as HD DVD either.

Last edited by BuckNaked2k; 02-26-08 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-26-08, 07:55 PM

Since they made the announcement the wait times for blu-ray has gotten a lot better for me.
Old 02-26-08, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ I was just referring to the fact that there are only a few more HD DVD titles slated to come out and some of them, such as "There Will Be Blood" have already been cancelled. I suspect things like "I Am Legend" and the "Bee Movie" may follow the same route.

Prior to the Warner Brothers and Toshiba annoucements, yes, there were fewer cancellations on HD DVD than there were Blu-Ray. But now that the end is near for HD DVD, the few titles that are left may be cancelled. That's all I was referring too. As a result, that's why BB may get very few new HD DVD releases in as well.
TWBB hasn't been cancelled.
Old 02-27-08, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Quake1028
TWBB hasn't been cancelled.

It has on HD DVD