Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

They ripped us off with the 5th Element!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-08, 01:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just watched the HDDVD version of the 5th Element and can't believe there isn't even O-N-E freakin' extra on this disc! Now I am going to have to buy the standard dvd just to see the extra featutres.

This is bullshit. Why didn't the studio add any extras for the HD-DVD? And in your opinion is it worth buying the standard dvd just to see the extras? Are they any good?
Old 02-08-08, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I didn't know it was available on HD-DVD or did you buy it from another country?
Old 02-08-08, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe you got the wrong version? They probaly re-release it again with PIP, and other HD interactive extras

I don't care for extras so

Last edited by Knives; 02-08-08 at 03:50 AM.
Old 02-08-08, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
I didn't know it was available on HD DVD or did you buy it from another country?
My thoughts exactly. This was one of the few nagging titles that caused me to go purple.
Old 02-08-08, 07:12 AM

I apologize. I meant to say Blu-Ray not HD-DVD. I've been watching so many movies on both formats lately I got confused

anyway it's still BS...why not put the extras on the standard def dvd, onto the BR version?
Old 02-08-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I liked the movie. I'm not much of an "extras" man.
Old 02-08-08, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OutRun2
I apologize. I meant to say Blu-ray not HD DVD. I've been watching so many movies on both formats lately I got confused

anyway it's still BS...why not put the extras on the standard def dvd, onto the BR version?
I agree. If they're going to charge a premium for HD, they should port over everything from the definitive version. I don't even care if the extras are in SD.
Old 02-08-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sort of a novice to HDM, but isn't it the consumer's responsibility to check what is included with a product BEFORE purchase? I mean caveat emptor aside, it isn't like the case said it included the extras nor is it billed as any sort of Special Edition (let alone the ULTIMATE EDITION about whose extras I'm sure you're upset about it not having). Looks like you'll be double-dipping when Sony does the Blu-ray SE. In the meantime, might I suggest you rent the 2nd disk from Netflix or something to see if it is worth the gripe?
Old 02-08-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I apologize. I meant to say Blu-Ray not HD-DVD. I've been watching so many movies on both formats lately I got confused

BS that you bought into willingly.

Anyone who bought this title at even $19.99 was pretty silly. It's been discounted at Amazon, and has been part of numerous B1G1.
Old 02-08-08, 09:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
i got the remastered BD when it was on sale at Fry's for $14.99, but I knew full well it was the movie only. I already have the Ultimate Edition DVD, so I'm good with the extras for now. yes, I think the DVD with the extras is worth getting since we got screwed out of having them on the BD. But I think most knew in advance that was going to be the case. I don't mind having movie only BD's, so long as the price remains decent, say the $14.99 range.

Now my main gripe is Fox with those idiots releasing bare bones only BD's that are $34.99, like Kingdm of Heaven. I'm just glad Fry's has a sale on that one as well.
Old 02-08-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The movie, picture and sound quality is all that matters.
Old 02-08-08, 09:47 AM

Ya Kingdom of Heaven was a rip. Better off keeping the 4 disk set.
Old 02-08-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
BS that you bought into willingly.

Anyone who bought this title at even $19.99 was pretty silly. It's been discounted at Amazon, and has been part of numerous B1G1.
That was my thought as well. I don't remember exactly how much I paid, but I got mine on one of Amazon's sales for a bit less than $19.99, so I would hardly call it a premium priced title.

Plus, the product page at Amazon (as well as the back of the case if you pick it up at a B&M) both clearly show that there are no extras. Anyone buying the title has ample opportunity to make an informed decision as to whether it is worth the price to them.
Old 02-08-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
The BD has the trivia track from the special edition DVD. Its not much but its an extra so the disc isn't barebones.
Old 02-08-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, regardless of whether he should have known or not, it is a legitimate complaint. They used 33GB of the disc, so they had more than enough room to include the extras that were on the DVD. Thankfully, they've been including the extras on more recent titles, so hopefully this policy is over.
Old 02-08-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to Triple/Quadruple/Quintuple/etc Dip.

They are running the DVD playbook. They know which titles sell well to early adopters based on DVD, and they know they can get you to buy this one again with an "Hi-Def Ultimate Edition" later on.

Personally, I don't mind this practice. I can wait, or sell the previous version.

-beebs
Old 02-08-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I agree. If they're going to charge a premium for HD, they should port over everything from the definitive version. I don't even care if the extras are in SD.
While I agree that they should have ported over all extras from the last SD-DVD, you can't tell me that the OP didn't realize there were no extras until he actually bought it and put it in his player. The consumer does have some obligation to be responsible for his/her own purchases. There are plenty of website with reviews that cover special features on HDM in detail (this one and highdefdigest.com to name a couple). Also, if there are special features included, they tend to list them on the back of the case.

I have strayed away from this and Cast Away among others due to the fact that I can see them being double- (and in the Fifth Element's case triple-dips on Blu-ray). No thanks. I buy my discs fully-loaded and rent the rest!

Last edited by Dane Marvin; 02-08-08 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-08-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got this for $7 so no big deal, and I WONT double dip!!!
Old 02-08-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

There are so many hi-def movies like this (sans extras or only with partial extras) it seems silly to single out 5th Element.
Old 02-08-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
While I agree that they should have ported over all extras from the last SD-DVD, you can't tell me that the OP didn't realize there were no extras until he actually bought it and put it in his player. The consumer does have some obligation to be responsible for his/her own purchases. There are plenty of website with reviews that cover special features on HDM in detail (this one and highdefdigest.com to name a couple). Also, if there are special features included, they tend to list them on the back of the case.
I wasn't defending his lack of knowledge on what he was buying, just slamming the practice of not including all the extras from the most definitive version available.

As another poster pointed out, it's a freakin' 50GB disc: fill the damn thing up already!

I kept the super terrific deluxe version I had for the extras, and bought the BD for the PQ/AQ.
Old 02-08-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 503 Likes on 255 Posts
I'm still holding out for Goodburger BluRay.
Old 02-08-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
I paid 10 bucks for the remastered BD on Amazon. Considering how great it looks and sounds, I don't feel ripped off at all.

As time goes on, I'm finding the average disc extras less and less interesting anyway. These days, I'm at the point where I'd rather spend the extra time watching another film, (or doing something else with my limited free time) unless there is some must see extra, or if it's a film that I'm so obsessed with, that I must know every single detail about it (which is rare). As long as the picture and sound are as good as they can be, I'm usually satisfied.
Old 02-08-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
There are so many hi-def movies like this (sans extras or only with partial extras) it seems silly to single out 5th Element.
Agreed

There are even import HD/BD discs that have little to no extras.
Old 02-08-08, 09:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Welcome to HDM. Lack of extras, no extras, high prices....sigh.
Old 02-08-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
High-Def. Awesome picture. Great sound. Did I mention awesome picture? And, and great sound?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.