Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player is $79.99 at Amazon

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-08, 02:29 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Amazon's Gold Box deal of the day is the Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player for $79.99 shipped.
Old 02-06-08, 02:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-HD-DV...7D3C6RF8389EC5

Includes 5 free dvd's too. Hot deal
Old 02-06-08, 02:53 AM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts
Plus you get King Kong in the box for a total of six free HD-DVDs.

Since I already own KK and almost all the movies on the rebate, I'm planning to sell them on eBay. Hopefully I can break even on the discs and walk away with a free player.
Old 02-06-08, 05:29 AM

It was saying that it was sold out for about 20 minutes then they came back up for sale again.. I have a question: If you already bought one of these way back in August of 2007 and sent in for the free movies, can you still get the free movies from this deal? It says one per household, but I did the deal before this one. Has anyone been successful doing this? If yes then It would be totally worth it just for the movies alone.

Last edited by VAMPYRE XX; 02-06-08 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-06-08, 02:47 PM
Cool New Member

I thought about getting four of these and selling them on ebay, but in the end it's just not very profitable. The demand for them is underwhelming. But it now prices are around $99 but the time you pay the listing fees it's only a gain of 15 bucks, if that.
Old 02-06-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not bad....this recently just dropped to $129.99 across the board also (according to Major Nelson's website)

OOS on Amazon now.
Old 02-06-08, 03:42 PM

They're back on amazon for 79.99
Old 02-06-08, 03:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sold out already.
Old 02-06-08, 04:02 PM

Got one, finally. It showed 1 in stock, but as soon as I ordered it, it said it was out of stock and moved it to my saved items. For S&G, I kept moving it out of my saved items--and it finally stayed in the cart. I ordered it immediately and it's due to ship on 2/14, arrival on 2/20.

Then, buyer's remorse set in! What do you guys think? I can't cancel the order, but I can refuse delivery at no cost. I have an HD-A1 in our home theater, but I got this for my gaming setup and/or to hook up to my PC. Now, I'm feeling kind of guilty about spending more money on HD-DVD even though I'm holding out and haven't bought Blu yet (I'm amazed at the state of the players and specs).

Would you guys keep the drive or refuse shipment if you already had an HD-A1?

It seemed like such a good buy that I had to jump on it. I don't have King Kong, nor did I get the 5 free earlier (bought an open-box HD-A1), so I don't have any of the movies except Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Stupid buyer's remorse!
Old 02-06-08, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, what value do you place on the 6 movies you're going to get?
Old 02-06-08, 05:25 PM

Good question.

Option 1:
Aeon Flux, Babel, The Italian Job--I'd go for Italian Job--really enjoyed that movie and would probably buy it (~$15)

Option 2:
The Hulk, Pitch Black, The Thing--not a fan of PB--would probably take The Thing ($10)

Option 3:
Charlie, Swordfish, Full Metal Jacket--I own Charlie, I heard Swordfish was terrible, so probably FMJ. ($8)

Option 4:
Firewall, Frighteners, U2--U2? ($10)

Option 5:
Black Rain, Darkman, Troy--Troy, assuming it's DC? ($10)

King Kong? Not sure. There's some value to me to the remote, though. Overall, I guess I'd put the movies in the $50-$60 range in terms of value to me, plus maybe $15-20 for the remote.

Sorry for the length of this response, but that was a good exercise--I'm leaning toward keeping it. Any input on my title selections?
Old 02-06-08, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by rworrell
Got one, finally. It showed 1 in stock, but as soon as I ordered it, it said it was out of stock and moved it to my saved items. For S&G, I kept moving it out of my saved items--and it finally stayed in the cart. I ordered it immediately and it's due to ship on 2/14, arrival on 2/20.

Then, buyer's remorse set in! What do you guys think? I can't cancel the order, but I can refuse delivery at no cost. I have an HD-A1 in our home theater, but I got this for my gaming setup and/or to hook up to my PC. Now, I'm feeling kind of guilty about spending more money on HD-DVD even though I'm holding out and haven't bought Blu yet (I'm amazed at the state of the players and specs).

Would you guys keep the drive or refuse shipment if you already had an HD-A1?

It seemed like such a good buy that I had to jump on it. I don't have King Kong, nor did I get the 5 free earlier (bought an open-box HD-A1), so I don't have any of the movies except Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Stupid buyer's remorse!
Why can't you cancel the order right now? Does it already say "preparing your items for shipment?" If it does not, you can still cancel.
Old 02-06-08, 08:26 PM

Hey guys, been reading the forums here for a long time but wanted to let you know that I jumped on the 360 HD-DVD player on Dec 18th when it came with the Bourne Trilogy HDs free. I just emailed Amazon and asked if I would receive any kind of price adjustment due to the price today and even stated in my email that I was outside the 30 day window. I didn't expect anything but to my suprise I got an email within an hour saying that I would be credited $100! So I got the player, King Kong, Bourne Trilogy plus the 5 mail in titles for $80 shipped! Pretty sweet deal if you ask me! Just wanted to let you know in case any of you ordered recently and were wondering about an adjustment. Take care
Old 02-06-08, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by ozzfan84
Why can't you cancel the order right now? Does it already say "preparing your items for shipment?" If it does not, you can still cancel.
Ozz: yes, it does say preparing and won't let me cancel. I called earlier and asked if they could cancel it, considering it won't ship until 2/14 and they said no. They said I could refuse delivery--I said I'm not home during the day, could I refuse via a note to the deliveryperson and they said yes.

I am leaning toward keeping it, but I wanted to answer your question--would you refuse delivery, btw?
Old 02-08-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Do you think Amazon has lost confidence in the HD-DVD format now that Warner is Blu-ray only? Maybe Amazon is trying to get rid of their inventory of 360 add-ons before no one will buy them anymore?
Old 02-08-08, 09:48 PM

HD-DVD is going to be with us for a while. I think the strategy now is to make HD-DVD a more affordable format than blu-ray and that way they can at least up the percentage of sales. Blu-ray is obviously the top choice and has won every week of sales so HD-DVD needs some way to compete. This is what we want. Competition is good for us consumers. It brings the prices down because the companies are competing for our business and lower prices are good. Amazon just puts stuff on sale so people will buy it. ....and it works... Don't read into it like it's a fire sale, because HD-DVD is just becoming more affordable and closer in price to standard DVD since it's the only way they can compete with blu-ray, a more powerful format.
Old 02-08-08, 11:39 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Back at $140 and only used ones left for $80 now. So it's $130 across the board anyway? I've been thinking of jumping into the HD-DVD/BD arena. Been planning on waiting till the war was won by one or the other, but if I could jump in for $80 with 5 movies I'd do it.

Last edited by DAC; 02-08-08 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-09-08, 11:56 AM

I posted earlier about getting in on the $80 deal but having some doubts...now I have doubts no more. I'm stocking up on HD DVD and will stick with them for the forseeable future. There are definitely deals to be had out there on HD DVDs right now--I'm going to enjoy them until they either stage a comeback or I'm forced to go Blu.
Old 02-09-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best buy deal still smashed this deal!
Old 02-10-08, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by True_Story1011
The best buy deal still smashed this deal!
No kidding, I'm very pleased I got mine then.