Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

In what order should I watch the 5-disc Blade Runner BD?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 170 Posts

Didn't know whether to put this on DVD Talk, HD Talk, or Movie Talk, but since this is the Blu-Ray and it may have additional content, here it is.

In what order should I watch this? I haven't seen the movie in over a decade, and the only thing I remember is that
Spoiler:
Harrison at the end turns out being a Replicant

So in what order should I watch them?

Thanks!
Old 01-31-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I watched the final cut on HD DVD last week. Amazing. Now I want to catch up on the other cuts.
Old 01-31-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i have this same question.. I am going to watch this movie next week, never seen it, really dont know much about it at all, except its great SciFi.... Which version should I watch first?
Old 01-31-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thought you asked this question in the BR thread?
Old 01-31-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watch the Final Cut because it's the best. Then I would go in order from earliest to most recent. So go with the workprint, then the US and European theatrical versions, then the first director's cut. The documentary is 211 minutes long -- that's what I felt like watching immediately after seeing the Final Cut though. Watching all these cuts strung together in marathon sessions would kind of get boring though IMO.
Old 01-31-08, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by MBoyd
I thought you asked this question in the BR thread?
I don't think I've ventured into the BR thread
Old 01-31-08, 12:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Unless you're a hardcore fan (like me), then watch the Final Cut first as it's the most definitive, then the documentary, then the theatrical cut to get the full picture as to why this movie has gone through it's many incarnations. If you can survive those, the try the Workprint after to see it in its raw form. then the other two cuts in whichever order you decide to. The differences are pretty subtle.
Old 01-31-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd view the workprint first. The video quality on it is pretty good, compared to the previous DVD releases. That way, when you view the other cuts, you'll be absolutely blown away by the HD makeover the film has received.

So far, I have only had time to watch the workprint myself, but that's only because my workprint HD-DVD disc was scratched from being loose, so I had to make sure it was playable.
Old 01-31-08, 01:58 PM

Does everyone agree with Debs spoiler tag? I've never been sure about that?
Old 01-31-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 336 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Brewc
Does everyone agree with Debs spoiler tag? I've never been sure about that?
the "director's cut" (which is what i assume she saw) strongly implies it, but it is still ambiguous enough to be open to interpretation. i believe ridley scott has stated that's what he intended though (Deb's conclusion, that is).
Old 01-31-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

kefrank's answer sums it up.
Old 01-31-08, 04:04 PM

I watched it with my girlfirend who had never seen it, and I elected to show her the Final Cut first, since I think it is the best version. We skimmed through the International Theatrical cut afterward just so I could show her the differences.

She said afterward that she felt she would have enjoyed it much more if she'd seen the theatrical cut first, because she felt the narration would have really helped her to follow the plot. I could somewhat see her point in that I have seen the movie many times, and saw the theatrical cut first, so obviously, I have no trouble following the plot, knowing the terminology and so on. For her, it was hard to follow what was happening at points.

Despite the strong disdain many people have for the narration and ending of the theatrical cut, I think I would recommend to someone who had never seen the film at all to watch the International Theatrical cut first, and then the Final Cut. You'll probably like the Final Cut better if you watch the International Theatrical Cut first. The 1992 Director's cut need not be watched at all, unless for the sake of completion. It is substantially the same as the Final Cut aside from lacking some spit and polish. And the US theatrical need not be watched except for completeness sake as it is substanitally the same as the International Theatrical, less a few violent shots. I've never seen the workprint.

Last edited by MrDs10e; 01-31-08 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-01-08, 07:56 AM

I too, bought it as a blind buy with all the hype it produced. I watched the Final Cut first. I really think I should have watched the workprint or theatrical beforehand. Since it does include the VO and explains it just a little better if you have no idea what the movie is really about. Once you know what the VO's include, watching the omitted FC is far more enjoyable and looks great on Blu-Ray.
Old 02-01-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
If you like your hand being held, the theatrical cut. (aka - if you don't watch a ton of movies)

If you like good pacing and know how to read scenes, the final cut.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-01-08 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-03-08, 01:00 PM
Cool New Member

Normally I would say the theatrical version, because it's the official version. But the final cut is superior in all ways. The added effects are really subtle and not obvious like the Star Wars special editions. It's really just the best version. These are the reasons:

-Better more ambiguous ending (The most obvious/important improvement)
-No narration (thankfully so)
-The lip syncing with Harrison at the fish market has been corrected
-The sky has been corrected to match when the bird flies away
-Joanna Cassidy's face has been digitally added to match
-The fire in the begging has been digitally corrected.