Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Who wants to guess on the next price drop for PS3?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-08, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see it happening because they don't have to. It would be nive, but i think it already dropped once since it launched.
Old 01-29-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Sony has already publicly stated they have no plans for a price reduction on the PS3 at this time.

[No, I don't have a link]
Old 01-29-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've posted in another topic that means absolutely nothing.

48 hours before the last ps3 price drop The president of Sony in Japan said that there was no plans (in fact insisted on it really) for a price reduction when the circuit city ad had already been leaked all over the internet for about a week before the last e3 conference.

The video game manufacturers rarely announce a price drop more than a day before it happens so the competition has little time to react or beat them to it.
Old 01-29-08, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, I don't really take corporate speak seriously either.

That said, I'd be surprised if they drop the price again this year. Maybe in the fall they might, but I doubt it.

We should see some bundles though, and they'll of course start including the Dual Shock 3.
Old 01-29-08, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm mainly waiting for the dual shock 3 if they don't do a price drop.

However, I am hoping for a price drop with the dual shock 3 bundle.
Old 01-29-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I could see a price drop in November for the 2008 Holiday season, but probably not before.
Old 01-29-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I read from Afterdawn that Sony found new ways to make the Blu-ray laser... This means cheaper BD drives of course. As for price drop, let's see.... maybe another $50-$100 by this summer ?

Of course, there will be new SKUs and more bitching... Oh, $300 PS3, what? No BC? F-that...
Old 01-29-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
It will depend on how many they sell over the coming months. If they're not moving product, they'll drop it sooner rather than later. Just keep track of sales numbers to find your answer.
Old 01-29-08, 09:29 AM

The rumored $299 drop this week obviously didn't happen, which isn't too surprising as it seemed awfully generous on their part and the timing would've been strange. Still, a $300 price point is the only way I'm biting, so here's to hoping it's not too far in the future. Alternately, I'd happily pick up a full-featured standalone at that price (I'd prefer to have a standalone, really...), but unfortunately both of these scenarios seem rather unlikely.

Last edited by Cosmic Bus; 01-29-08 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-29-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm guessing there will be another price drop. The Business Week article said Sony is now breaking even on the PS3 (well if you just count manafacturing costs and exclude marketing, etc), they are stuck in last place as a console and need a boost.

I can see a drop late this year for the holidays.
Old 01-29-08, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
As long as it drops the costs of other BR players, I'll be happy.
Old 01-29-08, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Perhaps around E3? (May)

By then they should be ramping up their mini BR laser production.
Old 01-29-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
I think that the most likely scenario is a change in specs and bundles more than an actual price drop. Something along the lines of 120GB model w/o a game selling for $450 (as a replacement of the 80GB model).
Old 01-29-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If they hit $299 before a good 1.1 BR player hits $250, I'll bite.
Old 01-29-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The problem for me with the PS3 is the Bluetooth Remote. I have a Harmony and refuse to once again deal with multiple remotes.

Yeah I know there are aftermarket workarounds, but thats about another $75 to the cost. I would rather have a stand-alone all said and done.
Old 01-29-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by chanster
The problem for me with the PS3 is the Bluetooth Remote. I have a Harmony and refuse to once again deal with multiple remotes.

Yeah I know there are aftermarket workarounds, but thats about another $75 to the cost. I would rather have a stand-alone all said and done.
AMEN brother!
Old 01-29-08, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by chanster

or just $14
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-...1641722&sr=8-3
Old 01-29-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was waiting for a price drop from sony but I guess is not going to happen

I have to buy one tomorrow because I don't know if they are going to continue the
5 free blue ray promotion.
Old 01-30-08, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
I think that the most likely scenario is a change in specs and bundles more than an actual price drop. Something along the lines of 120GB model w/o a game selling for $450 (as a replacement of the 80GB model).
According to this rumor that might be the case. Basically the rumor says that they're phasing out the 80 GB, bundling in the DS3 w/120 GB at the same price as 80 GB. Probably rearranging the included games/BDs as well.

And I agree that the PS3 remote isn't the best...but mainly because the screen doesn't light up. I watch stuff with lights out, and my 360 remote has cool glowy features. Why couldn't Sony spring for some?
Old 01-30-08, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by naevity
I have that, and while it's a nice inexpensive solution, it's still lacking. It doesn't have a real stop button, the Top Menu button (it's actually the pop-up menu), the colored buttons, the PS button, and things like audio, subtitle, and angle. Those special buttons come in handy on import discs where you may otherwise have to wade through a non-English menu to change the audio track or turn off the subtitles.

It limits you to what can be done with the controllers (minus the PS button of course). While that's enough to do most things but turn it on or off, it would still be nice to have a complete set of functions. It also configures itself as controller 1, which can be a little annoying for those of us who actually play games on it.

I wish Sony would just end this once and for all and come out with a dongle package. Include the necessary firmware update on a CD. They could sell it for just as much as the Bluetooth remote.
Old 01-30-08, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I'm saying $299 for the 40GB...for the holidays, and a new higher GB model to take over the $399 price.
Old 01-30-08, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
I have that, and while it's a nice inexpensive solution, it's still lacking. It doesn't have a real stop button, the Top Menu button (it's actually the pop-up menu), the colored buttons, the PS button, and things like audio, subtitle, and angle. Those special buttons come in handy on import discs where you may otherwise have to wade through a non-English menu to change the audio track or turn off the subtitles.

It limits you to what can be done with the controllers (minus the PS button of course). While that's enough to do most things but turn it on or off, it would still be nice to have a complete set of functions. It also configures itself as controller 1, which can be a little annoying for those of us who actually play games on it.

I wish Sony would just end this once and for all and come out with a dongle package. Include the necessary firmware update on a CD. They could sell it for just as much as the Bluetooth remote.
hear hear... try that on the X360 hd-dvd add-on... it's a lot more worse! The only good thing is the light up buttons. As you can see, there's no subtitle button even.
Old 01-30-08, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since I just bought one, the price should drop at any moment.
Old 01-30-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Subgeniusguy
Since I just bought one, the price should drop at any moment.
Only after your 30 days are up.
Old 01-30-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by naevity
Inadequate.
Doesn't power on/power off the unit due to the USB connection.

Some guy at AVS is selling an aftermarket part for $50 which will do it (well you also temporarily need a PSP too) which is what I was talking about in terms of $75 (with shipping). Don't forget the hassle of trying to find a PSP to use temporarily.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.