HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Just bought Song Remains the Same on BD!

Old 01-25-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just bought Song Remains the Same on BD!

I was at Zia Record Exchange in Las Vegas today on my lunch hour, scanning through their Blu-ray selection. They had one copy of Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same, which doesn't even have a release date to the best of my knowledge (I was extremely bummed when it was delayed). I snapped it up immediately.

Quite a find...Hopefully, I'll have time to watch it this weekend and will post my impressions.
Old 01-25-08, 04:31 PM

I have an extra copy on blu I was gonna keep sealed. If anyone is interested, pm me.
Old 01-25-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It wasn't officially released, but it isn't hard to find.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...eo&dcaid=17900
Old 01-25-08, 04:32 PM

what's the deal with this release? it was re-called? i thought it did come out.
Old 01-25-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Choking-Hazard
what's the deal with this release? it was re-called? i thought it did come out.
Last I read there was some kind of audio dropout issue during one of the songs for a few seconds.

Maybe OP can verify if he gets any dropout.
Old 01-25-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Every Blu-ray copy on the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack only has a few minor audio dropouts. Something went wrong when they mastered the BD because the HD DVD doesn't have the dropouts(an identical encode).

This title seems to be in some sort of legal/licensing limbo. Whatever stock is in stores is it until the various issues get settled.
Old 01-26-08, 12:38 PM

How does this look?If I remember right it looked pretty terrible when I saw it in the theater years ago.
Old 01-26-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So its out for both formats right now? Maybe I should pick one up...just in case.
Old 01-26-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Last I read there was some kind of audio dropout issue during one of the songs for a few seconds.

Maybe OP can verify if he gets any dropout.
I watched about half of it last night and didn't get any dropouts. My receiver cannot do uncompressed audio though, so I was listening to the DD5.1, not the TrueHD soundtrack.

Video quality ranged from average to pretty poor (particularly the outdoor scenes).
Old 01-26-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lastyear
How does this look?If I remember right it looked pretty terrible when I saw it in the theater years ago.
For an older movie, it doesn't look to bad.
Old 01-26-08, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought the BD from BestBuy.com, think you can still get it there. Haven't watched the whole thing yet, so I can't say about the drop-outs. PQ and AQ are both good, but IMO The Last Waltz from (I believe) the same year is much, much better (PQ, AQ, & film).
Old 01-26-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
I watched about half of it last night and didn't get any dropouts. My receiver cannot do uncompressed audio though, so I was listening to the DD5.1, not the TrueHD soundtrack.

Video quality ranged from average to pretty poor (particularly the outdoor scenes).
The Dolby Digital track has no dropouts on any copy.
Old 01-29-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I posted the exact time in another thread here, but it dropped out once right towards the beginning of the drum solo in Moby Dick for about 3 seconds. I never had it confirmed from anyone else that they had the same problem though. And the DD 5.1 was fine at that part. Don't know what legal issue there would be, since the dvd version was released the month before this was cancelled.
And the video is very good for a concert that old. The orginal dvd wasn't bad, but this is even better. The TrueHD sound is definitely the highlight though.