HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Which blu ray player should I keep?

Old 01-23-08, 02:39 PM

Which standalone blu ray player should I keep?

Ok so I have a sony bdp-s1 and a samsung bd-p1200 (yeah i know) and I recently got an 80 gb ps3 for Christmas. So now I'm toying with which player to keep as a second player for the bedroom. I like the PQ on both players but the Samsung seems to be a little bit better PQ wise and speed wise as far as loading discs (and I haven't encountered a disc yet that it won't play). The Sony will play pretty much everything and has great PQ as well but I'm also concerned about upconvert with my large catalog of standard DVD. The benchmark tests I've seen have all given the Samsung higher grades (as a BD player not a DVD player) than the Sony but I'm torn since I got both of them at a great price (less than $125 apiece). Thoughts, reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by allman7; 01-24-08 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-23-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Keep both.
Old 01-23-08, 03:01 PM

Well I want to keep both but I don't want to have a third machine collecting dust, especially since I've got the ps3 and it's upgraded to 1.1. I was thinking about ebaying one or giving one to my brother but I can't decide which of the standalone players to keep.
Old 01-23-08, 03:54 PM

Give one to me. Don't care which.

EDIT: Seriously though, it is a hard choice. By all accounts the Samsung is better but I'd tend to trust Sony more. See which one you could get the most for on ebay.

Last edited by Chicken Warrior; 01-23-08 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Forgot to say
Old 01-23-08, 03:57 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just judging from everything you've told us, the Samsung sounds like a keeper. Personally, I wouldn't have even considered purchasing a Samsung player though. I've had some bad luck with their shoddy disc drives.
Old 01-23-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd keep the Samsung. It has very high marks in terms of upconversion/DVD playing. See this shootout link . That Samsung is king, even rated better than the Oppos. Though I am sure people will debate that. I'm just trying to give you something to back-up a tough choice.

-beebs
Old 01-23-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What if -- God forbid -- one of your machines craps out on you? Sounds like you got a steal on both your standalone players. Would you be able to procure another one that cheap again? That's why I would keep it just in case. Maybe just "loan" it to your brother. Give it to him on the condition that you'll be taking it back if one of your machines unexpectedly dies on you.
Old 01-23-08, 06:59 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

People keep recommending the Samsung, but aren't the Samsung players having more problems with new releases not playing than any other brand? At least that is the impression I've gotten from reading various forums. Another alternative is to sell both standalones and get another PS3.
Old 01-23-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ I like Jim's idea best.
Old 01-23-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Take both back and get the Panasonic BD30k
Old 01-23-08, 11:41 PM

Heck, you could probably sell just ONE and get a PS3 (40GB). It'd be neat if both your players were compatible with the same remote and accessories.

But why keep one in case it breaks? If you can sell it now when prices are high, you'll make the cash you may need in the future to buy a back up if one 'craps' and still have some left over.
Old 01-24-08, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ps3 is the one that keep itself up to date to the new High-Def HDMI 1.3 that's coming out.
Old 01-24-08, 10:24 AM

Oh i definitely plan on keeping the ps3. Selling both and getting another ps3 is an idea i hadn't thought of. Selling them both while prices are high would probably net me enough to get another ps3 and more discs. Guess it's time to buy more storage. HA.
Old 01-24-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you only decide to ditch one, I'd go for the Samsung, as the Sony is much more likely to still be working later.