HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Rocky Balboa on Blu

Old 01-20-08, 10:30 PM

Rocky Balboa on Blu

Just watched my first BluRay on my PS3, Rocky Balboa. While I thought the video quality was better then DVD, I was not blown away by the quality. (Although certain clips looked pretty damn good, like the aerial shot of Vegas.)

I have it hooked up via HDMI and I have a 37 inch 1080i TV. I've seen really sharp programming on cable. So is it just the Rocky movie not being super sharp?

Thanks!
Old 01-20-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished renting this one and thought it looked fantastic. I think the lighting for much of the movie is kind of dark so maybe that was why it didn't pop for you, but this movie looks great and definitely looks HD. I think the movie uses film up until the Vegas stuff which is done with HD cameras to give it that TV look.

Good movie too BTW.
Old 01-20-08, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agreed. I thought it really came alive with the TV style coverage in Vegas, but the rest looked really crisp and clear too.

...perhaps a bit too crisp at times, Stallone's face-veins were starting to freak me out man.
Old 01-20-08, 11:46 PM

I loved the movie, maybe I'm just being too picky because of the dark scenes. I have Spider Man 3, but I want to wait to get 2 before I watch it, lol.
Old 01-21-08, 04:07 AM
Suspended

I think Rocky is one of the best transfers ive seen, the grain is just perfect and the detail is very sharp throughout. Of course, the HD Cam footage is also just outright gorgeous to boot.
Old 01-21-08, 08:10 AM
Banned

*bumps Rocky Balboa up netflix list*
Old 01-21-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ThomaMon
I loved the movie, maybe I'm just being too picky because of the dark scenes. I have Spider Man 3, but I want to wait to get 2 before I watch it, lol.
Parts 1 and 2 are only available in the boxset that was released last October. These will likely be released separately, but no one knows for sure. Maybe for the holidays this year?
Old 01-21-08, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rocky Balboa was the first Blu title I rented, and I agree: the transfer is impeccable. Count another vote on this being one of the format's best transfers.