Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Navigating DVDs on a PS3

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Navigating DVDs on a PS3

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-08, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Navigating DVDs on a PS3

Does anyone know where there are instructions as to which buttons on the controller do what when you are watching a DVD on a PS3? I was fiddling with a BR disc last night and was having a tough time getting to the main menu (it just started playing the movie after I put it in). Internet search didn't give me much either, and the manual really sucks.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-18-08, 10:59 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assuming you mean the Sixaxis controller, the square button brings up the menu. The triangle button will bring up a menu that has features of a remote. R1 will skip to the next chapter and L1 goes back a chapter. R2 fast forwards - first at 1.5x speed, then some faster speeds (10x I think). L2 reverses at a fast speed. The Start button is used to Pause and restart a movie. The X button can usually be used for the same thing. The Select button will show statistics such as whether the encoding is AVC/VC-1/MPEG-2, audio format, bit rate, and time remaining in the movie. It's different than you're used to so it can be confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy.
Old 01-18-08, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Excellent. First reply answered it! Gotta be a record. Many thanks, Jim!
Old 01-18-08, 11:43 AM
Banned

I highly recommend the Bluetooth remote. Has the typical buttons you would expect to find a remote for a DVD player.
Old 01-18-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cardaway
I highly recommend the Bluetooth remote. Has the typical buttons you would expect to find a remote for a DVD player.
I second. Once you get the hang of it, the PS3 controller works fine and becomes intuitive. But I still love the convenience of the bluetooth remote (and having to point it at the TV is a nice feature.)
Old 01-18-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I second. Once you get the hang of it, the PS3 controller works fine and becomes intuitive. But I still love the convenience of the bluetooth remote (and not having to point it at the TV is a nice feature.)
fixed
Old 01-18-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Exactly the reason why I picked up the Remote with the 40 GB bundle right away. I'm not even considering using the SixAxis for watching movies.
Old 01-18-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the sixaxis is definitely workable, but the Bluetooth remote was an immediate purchase with my PS3. It's much more intuitive and easy to use with it's dedicated and labeled buttons, obviously. It goes on sale for $20 once in a while.
Old 01-18-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The sixaxis works, but I really like the Bluetooth remote. Granted I realize it isn't a perfect solution for people with Harmony remotes.
Old 01-18-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that the sixaxis remote works differently on Disney Blu-rays than on other titles?

Specifically, the L/R "arrow" buttons for REW and FF do not work when a Disney title is playing. Instead, you need to go to those lower front buttons with your index fingers in order to access these functions.

Otherwise, I have gotten used to this device as a remote, despite never having played video games.