Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will Best Buy let me do this?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 01-09-08, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got one of those mail coupon sets from BB today, one of them being the typical "12% off any item in the following categories" kinda deal. What struck me was that "HD DVD and Blu Ray Disc Players" was an eligible category.

Now, that being said, will they let me apply the coupon to a PS3 since it is a blu ray disc player? The back of the coupon has exceptions to the coupon, but the PS3 is not listed (such as apple products, bose, etc.)

So would they allow me to use this on a PS3, and take roughly $40 off?
Old 01-09-08, 11:03 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
No.

PS3 is a video game console. Just because it plays Blu-rays does not mean it qualifys. The same could be said for the Xbox 360 because it plays DVDs and the coupon is for DVD players.

Please keep in mind the profit on video game consoles in very low...as low as $10-20 per system sold, so they won't take 12% off a $400 system ($48). Sorry. I'd look harder at the coupon because usually it will say "excludes video game consoles/systems/hand helds" as well.
Old 01-09-08, 11:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
No.

PS3 is a video game console. Just because it plays Blu-rays does not mean it qualifys. The same could be said for the Xbox 360 because it plays DVDs and the coupon is for DVD players.

Please keep in mind the profit on video game consoles in very low...as low as $10-20 per system sold, so they won't take 12% off a $400 system ($48). Sorry. I'd look harder at the coupon because usually it will say "excludes video game consoles/systems/hand helds" as well.
Makes sense. Figured that might be true. Oh well.
Old 01-09-08, 11:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
But as always, the wording on coupons may or may not matter at any retail store. Only way to know for sure is to try.
Old 01-10-08, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 351 Posts
Be careful with BB coupons. I got a "get $20 off any three BD dvds". I went and looked and either they had sold out or pulled all their $15 sale one's and only had a few $19 ones and they were terrible.

I figured even with $20 off I could have done better with BOGO free at Amazon. Of course that is now over, but I think STILL cheaper at Amazon. For example, BB was selling a Harry Potter for $34.95 and Amazon has for $19.95.

I've had 3 bad buying experiences at B&M stores in a row. I'm beginning to avoid them at all cost.
Old 01-10-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Not where I live. BB = Ball Busters.