Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner Workprint picture quality question

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-08, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gonna ask this here since the 5 disc was only available on HD dvd and Bluray.

Did anyone else notice a greenish/blue haze on the top and bottom of certain scenes? I noticed this when Deckard is meeting with Holden in his office and other times when it was much lighter. I know they did the best they could with the workprint in restoration however this looks like a flaw in either the transfer or could be the hardware I am running which seems really odd.

I do have an old bootleg DVD of the workprint shot from a vid camera to reference but I think that really wouldn't help me much.

thanks
Old 01-09-08, 12:43 PM

I do recall it having a greenish haze in some parts. It's supposed to look rough though.
Old 01-09-08, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by mike2
I do recall it having a greenish haze in some parts. It's supposed to look rough though.

Bah!!! Ok thanks. Man you would think they could fix that. Its so distracting and its throughout the movie. Being how anal Ridley is I am really surprised that it was ok to release this. Its beyond looking rough IMO. It looks like a color burn on the top and bottom.
Old 01-09-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It IS supposed to be a workprint, so if there are flaws, they're supposed to be there.

Last edited by RockyMtnBri; 01-09-08 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 01:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Chaka
Bah!!! Ok thanks. Man you would think they could fix that. Its so distracting and its throughout the movie. Being how anal Ridley is I am really surprised that it was ok to release this. Its beyond looking rough IMO. It looks like a color burn on the top and bottom.
In Ridley Scott's introduction, he mentions that the transfer was taken from the last known print of the workprint, and while they cleaned it up as best they could, it's still in rough shape.
Old 01-09-08, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
In Ridley Scott's introduction, he mentions that the transfer was taken from the last known print of the workprint, and while they cleaned it up as best they could, it's still in rough shape.
Yeah I saw that. Trust me I am a nut regarding Blade Runner, read Future Noir a handful of times and bore my wife with all this Blade Runner nonsense. I did expect it to look very rough and grainy but to me it looked like a bad color burn throughout only on the top and bottom. So I had to ask since I couldn't find anything online regarding what to actually expect with the Workprint version other than the disc mishaps for some.
Old 01-09-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chaka
Gonna ask this here since the 5 disc was only available on HD dvd and Bluray.
The five-disc was also available on standard DVD.
Old 01-09-08, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The five-disc was also available on standard DVD.

Really??? I thought the only way to get the 5 disc (workprint) was to buy the HDdvd or Bluray version.

my bad, just realized they did offer the case set
Old 01-10-08, 06:44 PM

I think in Ridley introduction to the workprint, he warns us that it's "rough" lol. We also get to see a little more of Sean Young so that is always acceptable!
Old 11-08-12, 01:27 PM

Re: Blade Runner Workprint picture quality question

I'm personally a huge fan of the greenish blue hazy light leaks in the workprint, when combined with the low color- golden color rough transfer and darker shadows gives the film a very vintage look filled with silhouettes, heightening the atmosphere and mystique of Blade Runner.
Old 11-08-12, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Blade Runner Workprint picture quality question

...hrm.