Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Can stuck pixels lead to dead pixels?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's bad timing for me to notice this now, it being the last day I have in my return/exchange period for my new Toshiba Regza LCD HDTV, but I just noticed last night that there are about 3 stuck pixels in the display (very far apart from one another).

They're all showing up as blue on a black background. I've googled the issue and found that stuck pixels can even be fixed by tapping gently on the area to distribute the liquid evenly, but I'd rather not risk damaging my display since I can't notice these stuck from more than a foot or two away.

I just wanted to know if anyone knew whether stuck pixels like these could eventually lead to dead pixels, or even more stuck pixels in the same area.

If not, I'd be just fine leaving things as is, because a) it would be a nightmare trying to exchange it at Best Buy now, and b) for all I know the next unit may have the same if not more stuck pixels.

Anyone have any insight on this?
Old 01-08-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has anyone noticed a few stuck pixels here and there on their display? Just wondering if it is a pretty common thing to expect (which I think it is). I'm just nervous because today is the last day I have to exchange the tv and I am irritated that I only discovered them yesterday.
Old 01-08-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
must be an important question for you to ask it twice in the same forum in the same day.
Old 01-08-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
must be an important question for you to ask it twice in the same forum in the same day.
It is for me, since it is the last day of my return/exchange period. (Sorry, I know it's nothing compared to the Warner talk, but this forum is called HDTalk after all) Hey, at least I only opened one thread for it.
Old 01-08-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
Did you not read his topic? He has one day left in his exchange period. Cut him some slack.

To the OP, sorry, dude, but I have no idea. Hopefully you'll get an answer in time. Maybe try the DVD Hardware forum?
Old 01-08-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know what Toshiba's or Best Buy's policy is WRT stuck pixels in new products, but mine is simple. I have a zero tolerance policy. I bought a 22" PC monitor a few months ago that had a single stuck pixel, and I took it back to Circuit City and got a replacement, no questions asked.

If I were you, I'd have that set already in the car, and be on my way to Best Buy.

As far as the relationship between stuck and dead pixels, my experience has been that stuck pixels rarely if ever recover, so they are already "dead".