Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Easy
Completely wrong. I bought the $100 Tosh and a handful of discs to see the difference for myself on my 65" Mits calibrated with Avia. I found it to be slightly better but I wasn't very impressed. It certainly wasn't the orgasmic experience some claim.
I guess Warner did me a favor. I learned what I needed to know and it cost very little. Now I won't be tempted to run out and "buy blu" for that minor improvement.
Naturally, if costs fall to current dvd levels at some time in the future I may revisit that decision.
I guess if you feel comfortable going back to purchasing SD dvds then by all means do so. There is nothing wrong with that if you feel like there is minimal difference. My brother has a PS3 but hasn't felt the need to buy one Blu-Ray disc either. It all depends on the taste of the consumer and what is important to you. I can tell the difference from HD media to SD media not only in the visual quality but in sound. But to some people it really isn't that big of a deal. The same can be said about the opinions of different people on the subject of many things in this world. I do feel that some people that downplay HD now because Blu-Ray is the leader would be the same people parading HD had HD-Dvd pulled it out. Like those people that say that baseball isn't really that big of a deal but when the Red Sox win the series they're the biggest baseball fans in the world.
Old 01-06-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigDave
It's not about Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. It's about the format war. Prices dropped on both sides because of the format war. Each side put out a better product because of the competition.

Competition with SD DVD is apples and oranges. Both products can co-exist side by side. It's nothing like the competition between the two rival HD formats.
Ultimately this is not what the studios and retailers will want. They would prefer to put out their media on one format only. It would reduce production costs, clear shelf space and ultimately offer cheaper prices to the consumer. Hell, we might even have a Blu-Ray dump bin in the next few years (as some of the titles belong there now). As of right now there are still two choices for the consumer to decide between. SD dvds are in the game, but I can see them pushing HD hard for the next several years. As HD sets sales proliferate with the change of analog broadcasting, price drops, etc you will see this all come to fruition.
Old 01-06-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Yeah, its time....its time for one to die....and I hate saying that becuase I like HD-DVD so much.

But, the competition has driven prices down on discs and hardware. Its time for one to take off now.

IMO, this war has been good for HD formats. I still think they will not overtake DVD, but for a larger market, one must go away now.
Very well put.

For HDM to get a greater market share, one format had to go away. But at what cost? Taking R&D, manufacturing, marketing, paying off studios, subsidies on the PS3 hardware, and everything else into account, I don't think Sony will ever see profit on the Blu-ray. But I honestly think that they care less about that and more about winning this war (still hurts that they lost with Betamax).

The only way that I see Blu-ray enjoying DVD-like success is if it can somehow get players to below $200 and movie prices to $20 range. Can it do that? If so, when?

When DVDs were launched in the late 90s, it was greatly aided by the dot-com boom. We had all sorts of websites that basically gave stuff away. In 1999, I bought my first DVD player for $140 when the same player was going for $299 at Best Buy (from ValueAmerica.com; now defunct), bought my first 3 DVDs for $1 (from 800.com; now defunct; name sold to circuitcity.com), and bought the next 200 DVDs at
Old 01-06-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
If you are going to claim things as FACT, then you need to post support. That's what he does. He never frames things as opinions. He spouts off like they are accepted, published numbers and facts, when rarely are they ever.

It's not bashing him. It's calling him on it. His opinion is welcome. His discussion of facts is welcome. His spin is not.
I am extremely busy with paperwork today and tomorrow but will respond to your calling. So, from the points made in the post you address I would like to know which fragment Warner placed weight on isn't a fact?

a) December standlone sales in favor of BR (quote already provided)
b) Year software sales in favor of BR
c) Giving both sides a chance throughout the holidays
d) Looking at the bigger picture/international trends

Calling me out would entail stating a different opinion where what is written is rebutted. Your only comment was that my post is shit.

I don't consider that to be anything else than a derogatory remark and giving the sensitive nature of current developments and how some people are going through some very difficult times I decided not to respond. But you went on.

So, here's your chance to prove that I responded to -- a statement by GizmoDVD that WB simply took a check and avoided the holiday trend -- with a spin.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 01-06-08 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-06-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I guess if you feel comfortable going back to purchasing SD dvds then by all means do so. There is nothing wrong with that if you feel like there is minimal difference. My brother has a PS3 but hasn't felt the need to buy one Blu-Ray disc either. It all depends on the taste of the consumer and what is important to you. I can tell the difference from HD media to SD media not only in the visual quality but in sound. But to some people it really isn't that big of a deal. The same can be said about the opinions of different people on the subject of many things in this world. I do feel that some people that downplay HD now because Blu-Ray is the leader would be the same people parading HD had HD-Dvd pulled it out. Like those people that say that baseball isn't really that big of a deal but when the Red Sox win the series they're the biggest baseball fans in the world.
Well let me say this; when I started collecting DVDs I never had a movie collection. I have a decent size SDVD collection now (well probably small for this forum) and I enjoy being able to put in the old Schwarzenneger movies when I enjoy a good laugh.

Now I have a DVD movie collection but I rarely buy anymore. I just haven't seen anything in the theaters that screams to me "must buy" to me...so I have pretty much stopped buying.

I did buy a A2 player, but even with all the deals on software, I probably have about 8 titles...I enjoy the HD picture, but I'm not going through my catalogue to rebuy everything...either in HD DVD or Blu Ray. Upconverted SD are good enough for me.
Old 01-06-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
Is this the fastest growing thread in dvdTalk history?
Old 01-06-08, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
It's not about Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. It's about the format war. Prices dropped on both sides because of the format war. Each side put out a better product because of the competition.
even if HD-DVD goes away Sony's still in a war with MS & Nintendo, so the price of the PS3 will continue to come down and drag down the prices of other BR players along with it
Old 01-06-08, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
I am extremely busy with paperwork today and tomorrow but will respond to your calling. So, from the points made in the post you address I would like to know which fragment Warner placed weight on isn't a fact?

Calling me out would entail stating a different opinion where what is written is rebutted. Your only comment was that my post is shit.

I don't consider that to be anything else than a derogatory remark and giving the sensitive nature of current developments and how some people are going through some very difficult times I decided not to respond. But you went on.

So, here's your chance to prove that I responded to -- a statement by GizmoDVD that WB simply took a check and avoided the holiday trend -- with a spin.

Pro-B
I still don't see how you're pushing this viewpoint when by all accounts WB was extremely close to dumping Blu-Ray. That, if nothing else, proves that it wasn't about any supposed sales or numbers advantages as it was about WB's desire to dump one format in an attempt to jump-start the HDM market.
Old 01-06-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,702 Likes on 1,060 Posts
Originally Posted by GorillaX
even if HD-DVD goes away Sony's still in a war with MS & Nintendo, so the price of the PS3 will continue to come down and drag down the prices of other BR players along with it
You think so? Because I don't.

Hell, the PS2 still hasn't dropped below $100. Sony doesn't have any reason to drop the PS3 anytime soon.
Old 01-06-08, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist

Pro-B
I'm beyond done listening and responding to you. IMHO, you have added nothing but negativity to this forum as a whole since the whole format war took off. Between your poorly disguised spin posted as facts, your posting of opinions as facts, your postings of "facts" with no corroboration, and your thinly veiled insults of members, I do not find you to be a positive influence to this forum.

As a result, I'm putting you on ignore. I suggest you do the same. I have wasted more time than necessary reading and responding to your postings, and I'll join the numerous other members who realized this sooner than I did and have done the same.
Old 01-06-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Draven

Hell, the PS2 still hasn't dropped below $100. Sony doesn't have any reason to drop the PS3 anytime soon.
I believe they do have a reason to drop the price. Now that one war has been won, the PS3 has a lot of damage control to do in the video game race.
Old 01-06-08, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I'm beyond done listening and responding to you. IMHO, you have added nothing but negativity to this forum as a whole since the whole format war took off. Between your poorly disguised spin posted as facts, your posting of opinions as facts, your postings of "facts" with no corroboration, and your thinly veiled insults of members, I do not find you to be a positive influence to this forum.

As a result, I'm putting you on ignore. I suggest you do the same. I have wasted more time than necessary reading and responding to your postings, and I'll join the numerous other members who realized this sooner than I did and have done the same.

No, you should just start a thread stating your "retirement" plans.
Old 01-06-08, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
To everyone talking about HD (be it HD-DVD or Blu) and price of players relegating to a niche market, need I remind you that DVD started out the same way?

When it started, most people didn't know what DVD was. DVD was for enthusiast movie buffs, and that market was already being served by laserdisc, which wasn't going anywhere because the picture and sound quality of lasers was just as good. And, in comparison to the general cost of living between then and now, players were just as expensive (if not more so) as hi-def players are now.

However, despite its flaws (DVD was only good for watching movies and you couldn't record TV), first year sales of DVD were greater than the first year sales of all other consumer electronics... combined. And despite that early success, it wasn't until just about ten years ago that that DVD really became the dominant home video medium.

It's only been about two years, give HD some time. Rome wasn't built in a day.

When a single HD format is all there is, DVD will start being phased out. Studios will gradually stop producing them. In about ten years (if that) DVD will be relegated to the status that pre-recorded VHS tapes are now.
Old 01-06-08, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Draven

they didn't need to with the PS2 cause it was #1, the PS3 however has been losing very badly to the Wii & Xbox 360
Old 01-06-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Jon2
To everyone talking about HD (be it HD-DVD or Blu) and price of players relegating to a niche market, need I remind you that DVD started out the same way?

When it started, most people didn't know what DVD was. DVD was for enthusiast movie buffs, and that market was already being served by laserdisc, which wasn't going anywhere because the picture and sound quality of lasers was just as good. And, in comparison to the general cost of living between then and now, players were just as expensive (if not more so) as hi-def players are now.

However, despite its flaws (DVD was only good for watching movies and you couldn't record TV), first year sales of DVD were greater than the first year sales of all other consumer electronics... combined. And despite that early success, it wasn't until just about ten years ago that that DVD really became the dominant home video medium.

It's only been about two years, give HD some time. Rome wasn't built in a day.
The difference being that dvd had a ton of advantages over VHS (mostly those of convenience, not to mention lower prices) which are what helped it succeed. The HD formats have none of those conveniences over dvd, just image and sound - it is no more convenient a format than dvd, in fact, it's less convenient due few people having the equipment necessary to get the most out of the format.

When a single HD format is all there is, DVD will start being phased out. Studios will gradually stop producing them. In about ten years (if that) DVD will be relegated to the status that pre-recorded VHS tapes are now.
I'm pretty sure we'll have a new format more superior/convenient than HD/Bluray by then.
Old 01-06-08, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts
New article on Yahoo with quotes from Toshiba:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080106/..._show_hd_dvd_4

Surprisingly, this is in the article:

"Warner said its decision to drop HD DVD was based on consumers' preference for Blu-ray."

Not sure who from WB is saying that, but I think that goes to show they at least partially looked at software and hardware sales for the decision.
Old 01-06-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
[QUOTE=namja]When DVDs were launched in the late 90s, it was greatly aided by the dot-com boom. We had all sorts of websites that basically gave stuff away. In 1999, I bought my first DVD player for $140 when the same player was going for $299 at Best Buy (from ValueAmerica.com; now defunct), bought my first 3 DVDs for $1 (from 800.com; now defunct; name sold to circuitcity.com), and bought the next 200 DVDs at
Old 01-06-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
New article on Yahoo with quotes from Toshiba:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080106/..._show_hd_dvd_4

Surprisingly, this is in the article:

"Warner said its decision to drop HD DVD was based on consumers' preference for Blu-ray."

Not sure who from WB is saying that, but I think that goes to show they at least partially looked at software and hardware sales for the decision.
Do you think they WOULDN'T mention this in a press release? They have to sound like they are for the consumer. Duh. If they didn't, HD would be packing its bags today.

Btw, this is in their press release on 1-4-08.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 01-06-08 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-06-08, 02:53 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Blu-ray discs better sell at $10 a piece, or this victory Sony is celebrating, isn't going to happen, and Blu-ray will just drag its feet along for several years, gaining little momentum. I think that's the reality.

Truth be told, my HD spending is going to take a dive. Because I will NEVER pay $20 for an HD title again without a BOGO attached to it. No fucking way. Not with the obvious lifespan of electronics these days and value depreciation. Will I pay $20 for a 4-disc DVD edition with a shitload of extras? You bet I will.

Do we really think lower prices are coming or the same prices we've been used to? Best Buy, Circuit City, Amazon, DeepDiscount, DVD Planet, DVD Empire (ok, they've never had deals period), and whoever else, are looking at their bottom line, and they are going to be as ruthless as Sony has been. In other words, they make more money with DVDs. Not Blu-ray. Sony is now under more pressure than they've ever been before. Now that the war is apparently over, Sony is gonna have to pull this entire HD thing on its own. Any problems with Blu-ray, Sony is gonna have to foot the bill to keep itself alive. Can Sony continue to do this indefinitely? Of course not.

So, I don't have a bright outlook for HD right now. In the next few years, I don't expect Blu-ray owners to buy movies like they have. Maybe a few here and there for the titles they REALLY want. But bird-picking titles sure isn't going to give HD a shot in the arm, is it. Nope.

Once again, I hope I'm wrong, but this latest curveball by Warner Brothers may have sealed their own fate and delayed HD's acceptance. We should have stayed NEUTRAL for at least another few years for everyone to purchase more titles, stocking up on our collections, and buying more players.

As it is, HD has barely gotten its foot in the door, and already a shitload of people are hesitant to get into it because of what WB did. They think, "Who's to say Blu-ray won't fold 5 years from now?" And I can't give them a good answer, to be honest, because I don't really know.
I agree. I won't be buying many catalog titles in the future as I have been spoiled by BOGOs, so they sure as hell better continue. Even with new releases, the prices drop faster then their DVD counterparts. 3 weeks after POT3 launched, it could be had for 60% of its original "sale" price on numerous websites. Its almost ridiculous how spoiled we are now. If these types of sales don't continue, I will simply rent or download through XBL instead. I won't pay $35 for I, Robot.
Old 01-06-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do you think they WOULDN'T mention this in a press release? They have to sound like they are for the consumer. Duh. If they didn't, HD would be packing its bags today.

Btw, this is in their press release on 1-4-08.
Well I just though it was worth emphasizing considering many here seem to believe it was only money that made WB decide for Blu-Ray. Sure money was a huge part of it, but it wasn't the only part.
Old 01-06-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blu-ray discs better sell at $10 a piece, or this victory Sony is celebrating, isn't going to happen, and Blu-ray will just drag its feet along for several years, gaining little momentum. I think that's the reality.

Truth be told, my HD spending is going to take a dive. Because I will NEVER pay $20 for an HD title again without a BOGO attached to it. No fucking way. Not with the obvious lifespan of electronics these days and value depreciation. Will I pay $20 for a 4-disc DVD edition with a shitload of extras? You bet I will.

Do we really think lower prices are coming or the same prices we've been used to? Best Buy, Circuit City, Amazon, DeepDiscount, DVD Planet, DVD Empire (ok, they've never had deals period), and whoever else, are looking at their bottom line, and they are going to be as ruthless as Sony has been. In other words, they make more money with DVDs. Not Blu-ray. Sony is now under more pressure than they've ever been before. Now that the war is apparently over, Sony is gonna have to pull this entire HD thing on its own. Any problems with Blu-ray, Sony is gonna have to foot the bill to keep itself alive. Can Sony continue to do this indefinitely? Of course not.

So, I don't have a bright outlook for HD right now. In the next few years, I don't expect Blu-ray owners to buy movies like they have. Maybe a few here and there for the titles they REALLY want. But bird-picking titles sure isn't going to give HD a shot in the arm, is it. Nope.

Once again, I hope I'm wrong, but this latest curveball by Warner Brothers may have sealed their own fate and delayed HD's acceptance. We should have stayed NEUTRAL for at least another few years for everyone to purchase more titles, stocking up on our collections, and buying more players.

As it is, HD has barely gotten its foot in the door, and already a shitload of people are hesitant to get into it because of what WB did. They think, "Who's to say Blu-ray won't fold 5 years from now?" And I can't give them a good answer, to be honest, because I don't really know.
Quit being so dramatic. The format war should have never happened in the first place. Blu-ray is going to take the natural steps DVD took when it first came to the market place.

I'm not sure why you keep mentioning Sony since there is more than one company supporting Bluray hence the BDA. If there are issues, it will be handled by the BDA.

About your concerns about never buying a title without a BOGO, did you have the same approach with dvd? Most of you guys complaining about prices going up, you are the same ones buying 5 or 6 titles on release week and spending 200 to 300 dollars or more during the DDD sale. You're actually getting more for your money with hi-def but yet you have no problem spending more to to take a step back with dvd. Just doesn't make sense.
Old 01-06-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think BOGO's can last forever, but they should definitely be used to convert the masses where possible.

BDA should also try to get places like Best Buy to take a little bit more off their everyday prices. Seems like the majority of HDM titles at Best Buy, the supposed biggest seller of HDM, are only $5 off list. That's ridiculous.
Old 01-06-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This is where I have been over the last year. After The various B1G1 free, and the GCU deals last year, I try not to buy titles for more than $15. That is, unless it's something I really want like Blade Runner ect ...
Old 01-06-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Well I just though it was worth emphasizing considering many here seem to believe it was only money that made WB decide for Blu-Ray. Sure money was a huge part of it, but it wasn't the only part.
Well, I have to disagree, because if WB looked at the figures, HD DVD had a large consumer base as well, and they would have been advised by their own people, that HD DVD consumers are not going to automatically convert to Blu-ray, and their consumer base is going to actually decline over a year or so. Which is why I am most certain Sony is subsidizing their manufacturing and Blu-ray costs for a year or two, until WB can get back on their feet.

This was never about what the consumer wanted. If it was, they would have gone neutral for another year at the least.
Old 01-06-08, 03:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Quit being so dramatic. The format war should have never happened in the first place. Blu-ray is going to take the natural steps DVD took when it first came to the market place.
You're right. HD DVD is the true successor as what was voted on and approved. Sony had to be the rebel once again and try things there own way. Looking at there track record we know how poor they have been with other formats.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.