Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wewantflair
If you don't like what he's doing, why not go over to AVS and tell him yourself instead of hiding out behind smiley faces at DVDTalk? What exactly is the purpose of calling out members of other forums here?
I find it hilarious that reality just hasn't sunk in for him yet. For someone just last week proclaiming that a BD exclusive studio was going to go neutral among the other propaganda that he has spread, I think he's getting exactly what he deserves.
Old 01-05-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts
If you don't like what he's doing, why not go over to AVS and tell him yourself instead of hiding out behind smiley faces at DVDTalk? What exactly is the purpose of calling out members of other forums here?
Because he's likely already been banned there.
Old 01-05-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
Because he's likely already been banned there.
If you're talking about me, I've never registered at AVS. Sorry to disappoint you.
Old 01-05-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Guy ATL
My one and only concern: I wonder if this means Criterion will go Blu? (Assuming the war is truly over.) Just bought a bunch of their SDs... ah well, at least they'll upconvert.
I was thinking of this as well. Anything that gets Criterion going is ok with me. I can't wait to see their HD stuff.
Old 01-05-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,278 Posts
Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I was thinking of this as well. Anything that gets Criterion going is ok with me. I can't wait to see their HD stuff.
I'm sure this will accelerate their plans, but I still think it'll be a while before we see anything.
Old 01-05-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
I find it hilarious that reality just hasn't sunk in for him yet. For someone just last week proclaiming that a BD exclusive studio was going to go neutral among the other propaganda that he has spread, I think he's getting exactly what he deserves.
That's not the point. It's cowardly and bad form to do it here.
Old 01-05-08, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder what list price a Criterion Blu-ray would have? yeesh.
Old 01-05-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rdjam/hd now has started a petition for WB to "correct" the mistake that they made. He's up to 245 signatures!
Old 01-05-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,384 Likes on 943 Posts
If you're talking about me, I've never registered at AVS. Sorry to disappoint you.
not you
Old 01-05-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
What did he start? He is just stating facts.
No, he's not stating facts. And if they are "facts", he's provided absolutely no corroborative evidence.

In other words, the same old shit that nearly got him booted from the forum before.
Old 01-05-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts
That's not the point. It's cowardly and bad form to do it here.
You mean like all the Bill Hunt bashing?

Just calling a spade a spade....
Old 01-05-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 310 Likes on 232 Posts
Originally Posted by theflyingdutch
Pro-B left this particular forum on his own volition because of the incessant bashing by a few in this very last thread page.
And they're back to bash again. Sour grapes.
Old 01-05-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And bashing Hunt would be "cowardly and bad form" how?
Old 01-05-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
You mean like all the Bill Hunt bashing?

Just calling a spade a spade....
There's a difference between taking an article that was published and criticizing its author and calling out a forum poster on a different forum. If you want to mock Rdjam, be my guest, but man up and do it in his thread on AVS or HDD. To do it here, where he doesn't post, is bad form. Since Bill Hunt doesn't have a dedicated forum, and is a professional industry analyst, forum posts critiquing his published articles are to be expected.
Old 01-05-08, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 01-05-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts
Old 01-05-08, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
And they're back to bash again. Sour grapes.
If you are going to claim things as FACT, then you need to post support. That's what he does. He never frames things as opinions. He spouts off like they are accepted, published numbers and facts, when rarely are they ever.

It's not bashing him. It's calling him on it. His opinion is welcome. His discussion of facts is welcome. His spin is not.
Old 01-05-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More stuff from David Vaughn on AVS:

"And you are right...it wasn't a slam dunk. For people celebrating for Blu-ray, it could just as easily have gone the other way...yes it was that close. There was an agreement in principle between Toshiba, Fox and Warner, but FOX pulled out at the 11th hour and went to Sony with their intentions. To Sony's credit, the did whatever it took to get Fox and Warner (although Warner is denying any type of incentives...if you believe this, I have a bridge for sale if anyone is interested). For the record, I think "incentives" are perfectly acceptable and a part of doing business.

Let's look at this from a business perspective. Is Toshiba harmed by losing HD DVD? Yes, but not to the degree that Sony would be if Blu-ray died. Sony has literally bet the farm on Blu-ray with the PS3. The PS3 isn't considered a successful game machine (yet), and if Sony lost Fox and Warner after the Paramount defection, that would have been the end of Blu-ray and possibly the end of Sony as we know it.

In the end, the studios chose Blu-ray for their own reasons and they feel it is the best for their companies. As a fan of HDM, I'm fine with the decision and I support it. I have owned both and had good experiences on both."

A few other things from Dave:

-He said that during the HD DVD negotiations, Microsoft was not present at the table. It was only Toshiba with WB and Fox.

-We may hear Paramount's plans in the next 7-10 days.

-He suspects that the first manufacturer that releases a cheap dual-format player is....Toshiba.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 01-05-08 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-05-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
have to say I am very surprised at this news, and it's timing.

I was really expecting an HD DVD exclusive announcement, and not this soon.
Why?
Old 01-05-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 310 Likes on 232 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
If you are going to claim things as FACT, then you need to post support. That's what he does. He never frames things as opinions. He spouts off like they are accepted, published numbers and facts, when rarely are they ever.

It's not bashing him. It's calling him on it. His opinion is welcome. His discussion of facts is welcome. His spin is not.
He can say whatever the hell he wants. You either believe it or you don't. There is one thing I believe that he said and that is in the end Blu-Ray would be the chosen HD format. He made a choice and stood on it and that seems to have pissed off a lot of people on this board. The funny thing is that there are people on here that only back HD-Dvd and feel that it is 100% ok but when someone backs only Blu-Ray that they are out of their mind or simply wrong. I do not understand this logic. I bought both formats because there are movies on both I wanted to have. I have over 40 hd-dvds but in no way to do I feel sad, although I could justifiably feel that way, because those movies are here to stay. However, I will just continue to expand my Blu-Ray library and I am glad that it is finally settling the dust on this war of pride and power. Funny thing is that MS seems to have left HD-Dvd standing at the alter when they could have done something to possibly determine a different outcome.
Old 01-05-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No surprise here. New Line confirms they will follow WB to Blu-only.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/05...blu-footsteps/
Old 01-05-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
He can say whatever the hell he wants.
He sure can. And when it's bunk, he'll be called on it. But don't call it slamming him.
Old 01-05-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
More stuff from David Vaughn on AVS:

Let's look at this from a business perspective. Is Toshiba harmed by losing HD DVD? Yes, but not to the degree that Sony would be if Blu-ray died. Sony has literally bet the farm on Blu-ray with the PS3. The PS3 isn't considered a successful game machine (yet), and if Sony lost Fox and Warner after the Paramount defection, that would have been the end of Blu-ray and possibly the end of Sony as we know it.
This is to a word, exactly my thoughts on this. Stop reading my mind Vaughn.
Old 01-05-08, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
This is to a word, exactly my thoughts on this. Stop reading my mind Vaughn.
100% agree. That was a perfect summary. Sony was going to do whatever it took to win because of the high risk. I actually think Toshiba may become the dual format player in the future. They're the only ones that made HD DVD. So this would allow them to keep their HD DVD customers happy while at the same time being able to make a few bucks from the BD crowd. Whether or not this happens, I have no clue. But it makes sense to me.
Old 01-05-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

David Vaughn is no insider, he's merely a reviewer. IMO he's connected enough to come up with early Nielsen numbers (and is definitely a good read), but that's about it. Any of his other stuff may be right, and it may be wrong... so I take all his 'inside info' with a very large grain of salt. For all I know, he's getting everything from the same people who are filling rdjam's head with mush. JMO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.