Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Reuters/USA Today: Warner Bros. will back only Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Posted this on another forum:

Just use NEUVIEW or any filtering software, author your own movies and make the best source possible on your own. Please HD-DVD supportes, go out in panic and sell all your software. I'll gladly go buy it cheap. Don't let these idiots tell you what you have to see and in what way, take a stand and create (or buy) your own HTPC. That's the wave of the future, streaming video and online content. physical discs are like DVD-A & SACD. They'll fade away. i got tired of buying these formats and ended up creating my own surround sound music. The same will happen with movie content on discs. I will keep on buying HD-DVD and expect great bargains with this panic mode. in the end is the movies that we look forward to, not the brand or format. If they don't look good, make them look good. Off to ebay....
Old 01-04-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I posted earlier (but I guess in a flurry of posts it got ignored), I would expect HD DVD support to become a feature set in most BD players. Why? Now that they've won, each company has to attract potential customers. There are more than 500,000 HD DVD customers out there. That's more than ALL non-PS3 BD customers in the marketplace. How else do BD companies attract these people?
Old 01-04-08, 09:07 PM

Any chance Toshiba will release a firmware update to change my A3 into a Blu ray player?
Old 01-04-08, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
You'll see proof pretty soon. Various insiders are already confirming it. Fox was going to go Neutral, but bailed at the last moment by a check from the BDA. Warner followed.

Oh well. This sucks as now Sony control all HDM, and we will soon be enjoying $40 MSRP movies, no BOGOs and Profile 1.1 players. Ugh.
Pure FUD speculation from a person who hates BD because he hates Sony.
Old 01-04-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by druryd
Any chance Toshiba will release a firmware update to change my A3 into a Blu ray player?
Old 01-04-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey. Half a billion is half a billion. All is fair when the mighty green is shown.

http://formatwarcentral.com/index.ph...-from-the-bda/
Old 01-04-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's utterly bizarre that people think they need to start returning/selling HD-DVD discs and players based on some announcement. This isn't DIVX folks...they will keep working. Someone actually said they were glad for combos (?!?!). With this kind of attitude why did you buy into either of the HD formats in the first place? Is this just a herd mentality or what?
Old 01-04-08, 09:10 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by wewantflair
As I posted earlier (but I guess in a flurry of posts it got ignored), I would expect HD DVD support to become a feature set in most BD players. Why? Now that they've won, each company has to attract potential customers. There are more than 500,000 HD DVD customers out there. That's more than ALL non-PS3 BD customers in the marketplace. How else do BD companies attract these people?
I imagine Dual Format players will still be somewhat of the norm n the next few months. You now have close a million people with a "dead" format with discs. Do you really think they want to go out and buy another player? Dual Format makes the most sense as they could still watch the movies they already purchased.

Samsung and LG sales will pickup in the next few weeks. Hopefully we see other CEs as well. If this is really the end for HD DVD (and it seems to be), then Dual format is where I want to go.
Old 01-04-08, 09:11 PM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts
Many of those are already dual owners, and the crowd to go after is the DVD only people anyway.
Old 01-04-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny seeing a Blu Ray commercial on Universal HD channel while I watch Jericho.
Old 01-04-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
Many of those are already dual owners, and the crowd to go after is the DVD only people anyway.
The point is that the discs exist, and CE manufacturers want to move players in quantity. What better way than to attract those who already show a proclivity toward spending money on HDM?
Old 01-04-08, 09:13 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by theflyingdutch
Don't turn this thread into a "hahah you suck red ants" thread. We have all been handling ourselves fairly well.

However, you still have to look at what is going on with Blu-ray.

You have an unfinished "spec" of a machine, and you have studios like Fox who think barebones MSRP $39.99 is a fair price for movies. How many of us refuse to by said movies unless they are BOGO? Will BOGOs continue? Will the "Buy a Blu-ray player get X movies free" continue? Will we see the price of all future Blu-ray players jump up to the $500+ mark? Lots of "ifs" that we don't know yet.
Old 01-04-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Damed
Hey. Half a billion is half a billion. All is fair when the mighty green is shown.

"We do wonder if FOX was just playing the HD DVD side, while having no intentions of ever switching."
Old 01-04-08, 09:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by theflyingdutch

According to a trusted source that was close to the negotiations, Warner and FOX were working on a deal to go Exclusive to HD DVD as recent as last week. Our source tells us that Warner was only willing to go to HD DVD if FOX would go with them. Their thinking was if they just went to HD DVD by themselves, it would not end the format war. Early this week FOX was paid an undisclosed amount to remain exclusive to Blu-ray. With the FOX deal falling through, Warner had no choice but to accept the BDA’s $500 Million offer to go Blu-ray exclusive. We do wonder if FOX was just playing the HD DVD side, while having no intentions of ever switching.
This info is coming from MULTIPLE people as well on many different forums. Many who are considered "insders" to some degree.

Edit: Many who have known for several days what was going on but couldn't speak about it. C

Last edited by Gizmo; 01-04-08 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-04-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder what those in Europe and Japan think about this.
Old 01-04-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Exactly, GizmoDVD.
Old 01-04-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I definitely believe that is what we are going to see happen. Especially since isn't Paramount supposed to remain exclusive to HD DVD for at least 12 more months? What about Universal, who knows how long they will hold out. The longer HD DVD is produced, the more dual format players we are going to see released.
Old 01-04-08, 09:17 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Cow
I doubt "many". 90k bought the $99 A2 from Wal-Mart in one day. Those people may have been starting a collection of HDM movies. How many received them as gifts over the holidays with several discs?

This is going to be a pretty big issue in the next few weeks and I am curious to see how the BDA handles it.
Old 01-04-08, 09:17 PM

Extremely disappointing anouncement, particularly since Warner had always been so supportive of HD-DVD (at least until Steve Nickerson left the company a few months ago). I did my part, especially in regards to picking up many of their classic catalog titles, but it wasn't enough. Ironically, I received another random, unbilled delivery of HD-DVDs from Warner this afternoon. Thanks...?

Sony certainly doesn't have any incentive to go about lowering the prices on their players at this point, so until Blu comes into a reasonable price range, which is unlikely to happen until 2009 at the earliest, I'll be stepping out of the high def game.

Last edited by Cosmic Bus; 01-04-08 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-04-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

This info is coming from MULTIPLE people as well on many different forums. Many who are considered "insders" to some degree.
It only takes one person to start a shitstorm and a few people to report it before it becomes the "truth". If the Blu-Ray camp did "buy" WB then so be it. It is all fair in love and HDM. Ask Paramount about that. If this is what it takes then I am glad it ends sooner than later.
Old 01-04-08, 09:21 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
It only takes one person to start a shitstorm and a few people to report it before it becomes the "truth". If the Blu-Ray camp did "buy" WB then so be it. It is all fair in love and HDM. Ask Paramount about that. If this is what it takes then I am glad it ends sooner than later.
Payments are fine. I don't really care. However, for people that were pissed about Paramount taking it, its seems to be all fine and dandy even though Fox/Warner took it as well. Thats whats troubling.

In the end, HD DVD is/was a great format. I'll still continue to buy titles for it until it dies.
Old 01-04-08, 09:21 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Haven't read the whole thread yet, but damn! I had just bought a HD player and 20 or so HDs. All but two are unopened, so I could still return everything I guess.

But then, I don't have an upconverting DVD player, so maybe just keep my A3? Darn, just remembered that I have the 360 add-on as well. Decisions......
Old 01-04-08, 09:23 PM

The way I see it is, it's not the end of the world. Honestly now. Like it's been said, it's not like my X-Box attachment (or any HD for that matter) will just cease to work in 6 months or a year or whatever. It just becomes the intensely supported niche within a niche.

Also if this whole Fox/WB/Toshiba/BDA stuff is true, I smell lawsuits and studios going back and forth for a long time yet.

The war is not over. It's just begun.
Old 01-04-08, 09:23 PM

I still haven't forgiven Warner for the snapper case.
Old 01-04-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Payments are fine. I don't really care. However, for people that were pissed about Paramount taking it, its seems to be all fine and dandy even though Fox/Warner took it as well. Thats whats troubling.

In the end, HD DVD is/was a great format. I'll still continue to buy titles for it until it dies.
What's troubling about it? If it is true then why are so many people in the HD-Dvd camp going wild since they were part of this same type of mess less than six months ago? Again, if it took a buyout to end it then I am fine with that. And I am glad that it ended in Blu-Ray's favor as I see more upswing with this format than with HD-Dvd. I enjoy both of them but this really couldn't go on forever.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.