Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Harry Potter" HD-DVD Audio Issues

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 12-29-07, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone else was having the same issues...

I sat down today to watch the first four "Harry Potter" flicks on HD-DVD, and right away the problems started. I'm using the HD-XA2 player and the Onkyo TX-SR605; the player is set to bitstream the high-def audio, and the player is capable of decoding these bitstreams.

However, when I attempted to watch "Sorcerer's Stone" with the TrueHD track, the player would not produce any sound. It kept acting as though it were searching for the signal. I then attempted to watch "Chamber of Secrets" using TrueHD, and had the same problem. "Prisoner of Azkaban" and "Goblet of Fire", though, played just fine, with rich audio that was very pleasing.

I looked at the back of the packaging for all four movies, and realized that the first two movies have Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 EX tracks, while the latter two only have Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 tracks with no EX decoding. The TrueHD tracks on all four discs are not listed as EX tracks, so I'm wondering why the TrueHD tracks would not play on the first two movies.

Has anyone else run into a similar problem? I really hate having to send the audio to the receiver via PCM; I know it sounds the same, but to me, the volume level when sending audio as bitstream does make a difference.
Old 12-30-07, 02:10 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I've also been watching the Harry Potter films with my A1 and the 605. I have it set to PCM, though, and they all worked fine. I did notice that some of them offer EX and the others don't.
Old 12-30-07, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
With my player decoding the TrueHD I had no issues with the first HP. I don't have a receiver that can decode so I can't test that.