Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Aspect ratio question

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Aspect ratio question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-07, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aspect ratio question

So I finally got my five Blu Rays in the mail. I was excited to finally check out how much better Blu Ray looks compared to DVD, since the Devil's Rejects is my first double dip. I popped the Blu Ray into my PS3 and the DVD into my 360. It was hard to compare the two, because the Blu Ray filled my entire display, but when I switched over to the DVD it was playing in a square/full screen (despite being a widescreen copy). I toggled with the 360 display options, but nothing happened. I was fairly confused, so I popped the Devil's Rejects DVD into the PS3, and got something completely different. It played in a rectangle just a bit smaller than my entire display. Any idea what's going on with my settings?

Also, what setting am I supposed to have the upconverting option set to on my PS3?
Old 12-07-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Upconverting requires HDMI.

Seems like you had zoom turned on for the 360, or was it stretched? What TV are you using?
Old 12-07-07, 10:15 PM

The move itself (Devil's Rejects) is 1.85 : 1, which means usually it WILL fill your entire screen. You may see a very tiny thin strip, but most of the time it will fill the screen. this is usually due to the overscan that occurs. The settings you had on your XBOX seem to be off which is why you got a "box".
Old 12-08-07, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Check the settings on the 360 to make sure you don't have it set to display on a 4:3 TV.