Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Samsung BD-P1200 problems with Die Hard and Pirates

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 12-06-07, 12:36 AM

I am very frustrated!!!!

I've had my Samsung BD-P1200 for 6 months now, all the firmware has been updated and until recently I have had no problems. The last 2 BluRays I have bought will not play.

I bought Live Free... Die Hard last week. I put it in the player, it looks like it is loadng then ... nothing. All that happens is my text display on my player keeps scrolling SLIDESHOW over and over and over. Can not get it to play no matter what I do.

And then...

Today I buy Pirates of the Carribean: At Worlds End. I put it in the players. After what seems like a million previews and advertisements it finally gets to a simple menu screen with a skull and crossbones graphic and two choices:Play Movie or Total Menu. I have tried choosing either option but no matter which option I pick the disk seems to be loading and then bang! I am back at the skull and crossbones graphic but this time there are no choices or buttons to select and the skull and crossbones is acting like it is waiting for me to do something. It keeps making comments inferring that I need to hurry up and make a choice. But.. there is no choice to make and I cannot hit any button to get out of the cycle.

I have tried selecting either Play Movie or Total Menu, both immediately when it shows up and also waiting until it is done saying its thing.

Its almost like the disc isn't programmed correctly.

I looked over the titles of all the threads and saw no one else having problems with the Pirates disk.

And yes, like I said before, I have updated my firmware and have checked multiple times at several sites and through the player software that it is up to date.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-06-07, 11:13 AM

FYI The problem is the latest update. Pirates worked on the 1200 with the previous update. Can't tell you how I know this, but I do.

It loaded fine on the previous FW version, but the newest one actually causes issues. I would assume Samsung will come out with a update that will fix both issues.
Old 12-06-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm having the same issue with Pirates 3 on my PS3. I can play the trailers, but when it comes to the menus, it blacks out. Bill Hunt (yes, i'm one of 3 people who still look at his site from time to time) said people have been emailing about the issue.

"A few readers have e-mailed us this evening to report having trouble getting Disney's new Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End Blu-ray Disc disc to work on Sony's PlayStation 3. Apparently, it sometimes hangs after the trailers as it's trying to load the menus. The disc works just fine on the Panasonic BD-10A here in the office, but we've reported the issue to Buena Vista. If you're having trouble, we suggest you call their tech support number at 1-800-723-4763 (it's also printed on the disc label)."
Old 12-06-07, 11:27 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of Java encoded discs.

Hope I don't have any issues with my copy of At World's End with my PS3 when it arrives today. (fingers crossed)
Old 12-06-07, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I'm having the same issue with Pirates 3 on my PS3. I can play the trailers, but when it comes to the menus, it blacks out. Bill Hunt (yes, i'm one of 3 people who still look at his site from time to time) said people have been emailing about the issue.

"A few readers have e-mailed us this evening to report having trouble getting Disney's new Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End Blu-ray Disc disc to work on Sony's PlayStation 3. Apparently, it sometimes hangs after the trailers as it's trying to load the menus. The disc works just fine on the Panasonic BD-10A here in the office, but we've reported the issue to Buena Vista. If you're having trouble, we suggest you call their tech support number at 1-800-723-4763 (it's also printed on the disc label)."
Go to BD/DVD settings and turn OFF the 1080p 24hz setting. Reload the disc, it will work!
Old 12-06-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never had the 1080p setting on as my tv only goes to 1080i.

As for the jave encoding issue DKNY75 mentioned - wasn't Pirates 1 and 2 also java-encoded? I've never had an issue with those.
Old 12-06-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't have any issues playing At World's End on my own PS3.
Old 12-06-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I didn't have any issues playing At World's End on my own PS3.
+1
Old 12-07-07, 11:02 AM
Cool New Member

There is a work-around for Live Free or Die Hard for the Sammy 1200. Load any other blu-ray, let the movie start, remove disc and then put in Die Hard. Plays fine on mine after this.
Old 12-08-07, 01:26 AM

I have Samsung 1000 and cannot play "Live Free or Die Hard". I have newest filmware!
Old 12-08-07, 10:19 PM
Cool New Member

Similar problem happened with the first 2 Pirate movies when they came out. http://www.thinktechno.com/2007/05/2...ribbean-discs/
Old 12-08-07, 10:46 PM
Banned

Typical Samsung.
Old 12-09-07, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Typical Samsung.
Samsung has been a bit behind the other companies when it comes to Java related firmware updates. Eventually you should have a update that works. It just sucks having to wait/wonder how long it will be before the next update.

This is one of the reasons I bought a PS3!
Old 12-09-07, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Its sad that 3 weeks later many people still can't play Live Free. Did Samsung ever fix the issues with Day After Tomorrow?

Edit: Looks like the Samsung 1400 is $299 just about everywhere over night. I wonder if Samsung is just selling off its SA stock to get ready for the Dual Format player coming out? They are having way too many issues with all there SA players.

Last edited by Gizmo; 12-09-07 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-09-07, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by trubiet
Samsung has been a bit behind the other companies when it comes to Java related firmware updates. Eventually you should have a update that works. It just sucks having to wait/wonder how long it will be before the next update.

This is one of the reasons I bought a PS3!

I returned my Samsung player. Only reason I bought it was because my PS3 was getting repaired by Sony and I needed to watch some BLU films. Terrible player.
Old 12-11-07, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Seth Gecko
There is a work-around for Live Free or Die Hard for the Sammy 1200. Load any other blu-ray, let the movie start, remove disc and then put in Die Hard. Plays fine on mine after this.

Thanks for the tip Seth Gecko on the Live Free Die Hard disk. I can now watch it. Still no luck with the Pirates disk though.

Hard to believe that Samsung allows this to happen.
Old 12-29-07, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am having problems loading Die Hard on my Samsung BD-P1000. It makes it to the circular loading simble and just keeps spinning in circles, never actually loading the menu. I have let it load for an hour tonight because I went upstairs and forgot about it. Any other problems with the 1000?

As I'm typing this I did get Died Hard 2 to load and the opening scene where he gets the ticket looks spectacular!!
Old 12-29-07, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

EEEWWWW!!! William Sadler doing naked karate in front of a mirror...