HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Why does DRV look better than HD-DVD or BR?

Old 12-04-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why does DRV look better than HD-DVD or BR?

When I switched from the 40" Sony to the 46" Sharp, I started noticing graininess. I didn't allow myself to regret the purchase because I was sure it was me and not the TV. Well I'm watching Return of the Jedi and it is 1000 times better than the HD movies I've seen (6 or 7) or the handful of HD-DVDs I've seen. I'm using a DirecTV HD DVR and the PS3 and XBOX HD-DVD player.

What could be going on? TV should not look better than BD or HD-DVDs.
Old 12-04-07, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I usually have the direct opposite problem. My HD Broadcasts never looks all that great -- the colors are never as bold and the image is softer. On HD-DVD/Blu-ray the image tends to be a great deal sharper, but at the same time you start noticing things like film grain a lot more.

Though with your problem specifically, I'm not sure, cabling/settings issues perhaps?
Old 12-04-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely make sure none of the display's "enhancement" options are one. Also make sure your contrast isn't cranked all the way up.

Most displays out of the box don't look nearly as good as they are capable of looking after a minor calibration.
Old 12-04-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW I'm using HDMI for everything. I'm using the same HDMI cable for the PS3 that I was using with the XBOX with the Sony. The TV I'm using is the Sharp Aquos 46" 1080p. I had the 40" Sony Bravia 1080p. Ironically the SD broadcasts look so much better now. SD looks better than BR If it wasn't for the stupid graininess. And I even updated the firmware to the latest.
Old 12-04-07, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
I usually have the direct opposite problem. My HD Broadcasts never looks all that great -- the colors are never as bold and the image is softer. On HD-DVD/Blu-ray the image tends to be a great deal sharper, but at the same time you start noticing things like film grain a lot more.

Though with your problem specifically, I'm not sure, cabling/settings issues perhaps?
Do you think it's the film grain that's bothering me? HD-DVD looked great on the Sony (I got the PS3 after I switched TVs).
Old 12-04-07, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well it depends on the content. My HBOHD recording of Return of the Jedi doesn't look grainy at all.

Name some HD DVD's/Blu-Ray's you've watched and tell us if you thought they were grainy or not.

Also, since you have HD DVD, I would highly recommend getting the DVE calibration disc on HD DVD. There are basic patterns in there that help you adjust your contrast, brightness, etc. You could be getting video noise from your settings that appears to be film grain.
Old 12-04-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hairspray, Seven Years In Tibet, 300, Die Hard I to name a few. I haven't seen a BD without graininess.

ROTJ DTV looks so damn beautiful. Sniff.
Old 12-04-07, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well 300 for sure has an intentional "grain" to it.

I haven't seen Hairspray or SYIT on my setup.

Which Die Hard did you watch?

I've only seen the first Die Hard Blu-Ray on my setup, and that did not look "grainy" to me.

Have you looked at your display's settings for the HDMI input your player is on?

You may have different settings on the HDMI input your DVR is connected to vs. the input your HD player is connected to. Also, depending on how your DVR outputs video, there's a good chance the same settings that make the DVR look good won't be applicable to the input with your HD player.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 12-04-07 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-04-07, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's different settings for the different HDMI inputs? :scratches chin: Eeeen-teee-resting. I lost my remote so once I find it I'll get on it (I use my DVR remote for the tv also).
Old 12-04-07, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
There's different settings for the different HDMI inputs? :scratches chin: Eeeen-teee-resting. I lost my remote so once I find it I'll get on it (I use my DVR remote for the tv also).
I assume there are. Every display I've owned has had the ability to save basic settings for each input.
Old 12-04-07, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mine doesn't seem to have individual settings.

I've noticed that it's mostly in the dark that the graininess shows. BR daylight shots look awesome (and the color is beautiful).
Old 12-05-07, 06:51 AM
Banned by request

Your TV definitely has individual settings. You're just not looking for them in the right place. I don't have your specific TV so I can't give you the right buttons to press, but you might want to ask a tech savvy friend to come over and help you do some basic calibration.

For what it's worth, I've seen both of those TV's and I much preferred the Sony. As for grain, are you complaining about film grain or digital noise? There's a major difference between the two. HD DVD and Blu-ray are formats that are quite good about replicating film grain while reducing digital noise.

Film grain is important because that's what makes an image on film. Film is a chemical process where light is captured on a negative strip filled with silver halide grains. These grains align themselves around the light in such a way that creates an image that can be replicated and projected. Some film stocks have more grains than others, which can result in a "grainy" image. Specifically, the phenomenon is visible to our eyes because film is a series of still images, and the grains do not always go to the same spots on the film for every still image. When put into motion, this results in the audience being able to see the movement of the grains from frame to frame, which looks to us like a thin sheet that covers the picture. But it's not covering the picture, it's actually making the picture.

This is different from video, which is comprised of pixels. Pixels are meant to be clear, and if for some reason they get out of sync, the result is digital noise, which IS obscuring the picture. Typically a good HD transfer will retain the grain inherent to the film without introducing video noise. A lack of grain is not always a good thing, as removing those fine grains from the image results in lower detail overall. Many DVD's use noise reduction filters, leaving a smoother but less detailed image. This is why many people are surprised when they see HD DVDs and Blu-rays for the first time, as the grain that was missing on the DVD is suddenly visible. Broadcast HD of any kind is really not a good benchmark for quality, as they are limited by pipelines and other problems inherent to transmission.
Old 12-05-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
One of the best HD movies I've ever watched was iRobot, which I recorded on my DVR right after I bought my TV. The close-ups of Will Smith were stunning. I have, since then, seen some comparable movies, but iRobot still leads the pack for me.
Old 12-06-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well this is interesting. I finally rehooked the 360 and Seabiscuit looks unbelievable. No graininess. I wonder if the 360 HDMI cable is supposed to make the PS3 look bad? :conspiracy theory brewing:. Have to check the PS3 with another HDMI cable.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 12-06-07 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-06-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hahah that would be amazing.

I'm using a cheap 15 foot Monoprice HDMI cable and have yet to run into a problem
Old 12-06-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well this is interesting. I finally rehooked the 360 and Seabiscuit looks unbelievable. No graininess. I wonder if the 360 HDMI cable is supposed to make the PS3 look bad? :conspiracy theory brewing:. Have to check the PS3 with another HDMI cable.

I seem to read a lot about "tempermental" HDMI cables. Keep us updated.
Old 12-06-07, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

MI:1 HD-DVD looked good. Conspiracy theory gaining ground.
Old 12-06-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Starting to sound like a bad setting in the PS3. Was the PS3 on the same input as the 360 is now?
Old 12-07-07, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sounds like user error...
Old 12-07-07, 02:03 AM

Sounds like you don't have your PS3 to set to 720/1080i/1080p what your TV is. In your PS3 you have to go in to the system menu and set your resolution. It's probably on 480i/p by default.
Old 12-07-07, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What is the exact setting I'm supposed to change? Because I have quality set to automatic and the TV tells me it's an 1080p signal (on DirecTV it switches between 480p and 720p, so it's working, and shows 1080p when I'm watching HD-DVD). Watching The Fifth Element BD and there's the graininess again. At least I'm not blaming the TV anymore. This is with a different cable. The captions look crisp as does the FBI logo. Movie - graininess hell

I still hold hope for BD. Until then I'm stuck watching HD-DVD only. The difference is night and day (and it shouldn't be, which is why I still hold hope).

BTW Troy HD-DVD looked awesome - no graininess. So far NO HD-DVD has had graininess and ALL BDs have.

Last edited by GatorDeb; 12-07-07 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-07-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What is the exact setting I'm supposed to change? Because I have quality set to automatic and the TV tells me it's an 1080p signal (on DirecTV it switches between 480p and 720p, so it's working, and shows 1080p when I'm watching HD-DVD). Watching The Fifth Element BD and there's the graininess again. At least I'm not blaming the TV anymore. This is with a different cable. The captions look crisp as does the FBI logo. Movie - graininess hell

I still hold hope for BD. Until then I'm stuck watching HD-DVD only. The difference is night and day (and it shouldn't be, which is why I still hold hope).

BTW Troy HD-DVD looked awesome - no graininess. So far NO HD-DVD has had graininess and ALL BDs have.

That is the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard. There is obviously a problem with your setup. Before you write off an entire format, I suggest getting to the root of the problem.
Old 12-07-07, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who wrote out an entire format? That's why I'm still here asking questions about what to do.
Old 12-07-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who wrote out an entire format? That's why I'm still here asking questions about what to do.
Which Fifth Element disc are you using? The first release was supposedly a piece of crap. Sony released a remastered version, and you can trade it in if you have the old version.

EDIT: Also check and see what your BD settings are on your PS3. Then check your settings on your TV while playing a BD to make sure the settings on the TV haven't changed. I had a similar problem with some HD channels looking kind of strange. It was because the TV had different settings in place for a 1080i signal compared to a 1080p signal. A little calibration and everything was good to go. Hope this helps...

Last edited by Anubis2005X; 12-07-07 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-08-07, 12:59 AM

What could be going on? TV should not look better than BD or HD-DVDs.
Boy I'm glad u posted this as I feel exact same way!
I have over 60 Blu-ray & 2 HD DVDs and known are better than HD TV.
Especially network stations, ABC, NBC, CBS. Damn Letterman & Leno is flawless!
I only have indoor antenna & I truly feel the HD TV channels puts rings over DVDs!

Yes I have high end setup & using HDMI cable from my Blu-ray player.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.