Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter/Order of the Phoenix HDDVD vs Blu (DVDBeaver)

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 12-03-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The guy rated the video (HD-DVD specifically, but it's identical on both) as the best he has seen.

HD DVD Version vs. Blu-ray Version

Warner’s HD DVD and Blu-ray editions of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix are NOT identical even though the studio usually employs the same video and audio encodes for most of its dual-format releases. Harry Potter 5 showcases the strengths AND weaknesses of both formats.

1) The HD DVD has an “In-Movie Experience” video stream that also allows branching to additional “Focus Points” featurettes, but the Blu-ray only has the “Focus Points” featurettes without the other video clips. Clearly, Warner did not want to risk disappointing Blu-ray consumers who have hardware incapable of generating a second video stream.

2) The “Trailing Tonks” featurette is in standard definition on the HD DVD, but it is in high definition on the Blu-ray.

3) The HD DVD does not have the “The Hidden Secrets of Harry Potter” documentary, but the Blu-ray does. This documentary is NOT on the SD DVD side of the HD DVD because the SD DVD side is identical to Disc 1 of the two-disc SD DVD set. (The documentary is on Disc 2 of the two-disc SD DVD set.)

4) The HD DVD has Internet connectivity features, but the Blu-ray does not.

5) The Blu-ray has numerous audio and subtitle options, but the HD DVD only has English, French, and Spanish.

The differences between HD DVD and Blu-ray boil down to two issues. From a software standpoint, HD DVD is superior to Blu-ray, but from a capacity standpoint, Blu-ray is superior. I know that the HD DVD camp has talked about a triple-layer 51-gig disc, but until that becomes a reality that can be purchased by consumers, that configuration is as much of a pipe dream as the Blu-ray camp’s claims about improved security via BD Java.

We’ve seen these problems elsewhere. The 300 HD DVD relegates the joint audio commentary to the SD DVD side, which means that those of you with the non-combo disc lose the audio commentary. Meanwhile, the 300 Blu-ray has the audio commentary but does not have the IME video commentary offered by the HD DVD. The Blood Diamond HD DVD has an IME track; the Blu-ray forces you to watch featurettes independent of the movie. The Terminator 3 HD DVD has an IME track; the forthcoming Blu-ray uses the brute force of its extra storage space to create a fake IME track (the picture-in-picture frame is simply hard coded in addition to the movie without the PIP). Blu-ray doesn’t even have the theatrical cut of Troy because of the IME problem. The A Clockwork Orange HD DVD release is a two-disc affair while the Blu-ray is a one-disc affair. As Warner pushes both formats to their limits, one can see how wasteful and idiotic it was for the two camps to refuse to create a single product that combines the best of both worlds.
So it sounds like the Blu offers more features but the HD is more "cutting edge". Good times.

Edit: Full Article: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...phoenix_hd.htm

Last edited by RichC2; 12-03-07 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-03-07, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Isn't the Hidden Secrets of Harry Potter an A&E documentary?
Old 12-03-07, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
yes it is.
Old 12-03-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
I believe it is. From what I've read about the footage in the HD-DVD's IME feature, it's all available on the Blu-ray release. So I'll go ahead and get that version since it'll also include the documentary as well as featurettes and deleted scenes in HD. Plus I prefer PCM audio over Dolby TrueHD.
Old 12-03-07, 10:37 AM

So the question is.

If I don't care about the extras and just want the best video/audio xfer which one to get.

I run audio via optical and will do so for a long time so the HD Audio doesn't really matter.

Thoughts?
Old 12-03-07, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by cisman
So the question is.

If I don't care about the extras and just want the best video/audio xfer which one to get.

I run audio via optical and will do so for a long time so the HD Audio doesn't really matter.

Thoughts?
Aside from the dialog normalization WB allegedly uses on their Dolby TrueHD tracks, the video and audio for the movie itself should be identical on both the HD-DVD and Blu-ray releases.
Old 12-03-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So the question is.

Thoughts?
It sounds like you'd be fine with either one. The only other reason I could see to go with the BD is if you don't like or don't care about the combo.
Old 12-03-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In terms of audio/video quality, they'll be essentially identical... go with what matches the cover better.

To note, the HD-DVD does apparently have a few clips not on the BD, but they're likely negligible at best. The BD still has docus not on the HD.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-03-07 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-03-07, 11:17 AM

I guess price will be the biggest issue here then.

I personally have always favored HDDVD but I fear combos will hurt them more than help. With the $5.00 increased cost in situations like this I'm going to go with my cheapest option being most likely BR here.
Old 12-03-07, 11:21 AM

actually the DVDbeaver webarticle made it easier for me to purchase the BR than the HD - thanks!
Old 12-03-07, 11:24 AM

Actually now that I see via the Bargain area of this forum that Target is pricing them at equally at 29.99.

So now with the HDDVD you get the added benefit of the standard version of the movie for traveling etc.
Old 12-03-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This movie has a lot of appeal to kids, so the HD DVD combo sounds like a great idea in this case.
Old 12-03-07, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed, this is one of the few Combos I can completely understand.
Old 12-03-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I guess price will be the biggest issue here then.

I personally have always favored HDDVD but I fear combos will hurt them more than help. With the $5.00 increased cost in situations like this I'm going to go with my cheapest option being most likely BR here.
Not this time. Warner apparently realized that combo pricing was a problem and is releasing these discs at the same price: $35.99 MSRP.

Amazon link to the Blu-ray Disc

Amazon link to the HD DVD combo

DVD Empire link to the Blu-ray Disc

DVD Empire link to the HD DVD combo

I believe that this was reported to be the last combo disc produced by WB. Anyone know if that is true?

With these differences between the HD DVD and BD versions, I suppose that completists will need to get both.

Last edited by lizard; 12-03-07 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-03-07, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

IME and Network connectivity for me. Could careless about losing a documentary and/or an extra feature in HD vs. SD.
Old 12-03-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Doughboy
I believe it is. From what I've read about the footage in the HD-DVD's IME feature, it's all available on the Blu-ray release. So I'll go ahead and get that version since it'll also include the documentary as well as featurettes and deleted scenes in HD. Plus I prefer PCM audio over Dolby TrueHD.
+1.
Old 12-03-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going Blu on this release. Sounds like both will be good, but I want the extra documentary and PCM.
Old 12-03-07, 01:20 PM

The A&E Docu was completely disposable for me. Especially since this confirms that Blu doesn't have ALL the IME videos/features. That and the fact that movie 4 also has an exclusive IME track is making me want to go HD.
Old 12-03-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder how much these will go for in stores? Seems Target is not selling the boxset...maybe just BB and CC?
Old 12-03-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going with the BD version of HP5. I can listen to the PCM via the Panny and the BD extras are in HD.
Old 12-03-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'm going with the BD version of HP5. I can listen to the PCM via the Panny and the BD extras are in HD.
Is it ALL the extras are in HD or just one of the Docs.?

The “Trailing Tonks” featurette is in standard definition on the HD DVD, but it is in high definition on the Blu-ray.
It appears to be only THAT one extra...but who knows. Warner has been very iffy on details in general on these sets.
Old 12-03-07, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The doc is missing and Trailing Tonks is only on the SD side of the HD-DVD release.

Those two things aside, the HD-DVD has more interactive features and (apparently) contains a few short clips not found on the Blu.
Old 12-03-07, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Is it ALL the extras are in HD or just one of the Docs.?
A featurette and the deleted scenes are in HD on the Blu-ray version.
Old 12-03-07, 04:06 PM

Myself I'm thinking about HDDVD. Not sure yet if the audio is going to matter for me. And now that it is even in price the combo is a big benefit.
Old 12-03-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It shouldn't matter (the audio), there is really no difference between PCM and TrueHD, both are "uncompressed" formats, PCM is just constant bitrate which doesn't make it better.

That said, I guess it depends on your receiver.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.