Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

New Walmart secret sale 12-7 specials include A2,A3 and PS3's

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

New Walmart secret sale 12-7 specials include A2,A3 and PS3's

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-07, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Essentially, it is. If you get five HD DVDs priced at lease $20 each, the player is $100. If you get five close to $30, then the price approaches $50. This is an excellent deal.
I understand. It's not even that this isn't a good deal, but we already bought a PS3 for Christmas (with the 10 free movies at WalMart), so shelling about another $200 for another DVD player (albeit with movies) probably won't go over real well. I could probably swing $100 without getting in too much trouble...

If we hadn't already gone way overboard for Christmas, I'd pull the trigger in a heartbeat...
Old 12-03-07, 01:16 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
At my local Walmart, I'll be lucky if the cashiers even know about the 40 gig sale.
Exactly, unless the computer won't ring through properly with an 80GB + $50 GC. It may need manager approval and that could kill the deal right away. Worth a shot, especially at Wal-Mart
Old 12-03-07, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I think I'm going to jump on the A2. Good thing is this is my Christmas gift from my wife to me, so I'm not opening it until then. I'll keep an eye out for a better deal, and if I find one, I'll just jump on it.
Old 12-03-07, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I wouldnt place the value for the 5 free Blu-Rays or HD-Dvds at more than 15 dollars each. I realize that retail they would sell for more than that but you have to consider if you would actually go out and buy some of these titles if they weren't given to you. Out of the 10 free Hd-Dvds and Blu-Rays I selected I would say there are only 3 of them that I really wanted to have in my collection anyway. But if you can find that HD player deal for between 100-200 or get the added 50 dollar gift card for the PS3 then it makes the deal feel a bit better.
Old 12-03-07, 05:47 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I wouldnt place the value for the 5 free Blu-Rays or HD-Dvds at more than 15 dollars each. I realize that retail they would sell for more than that but you have to consider if you would actually go out and buy some of these titles if they weren't given to you. Out of the 10 free Hd-Dvds and Blu-Rays I selected I would say there are only 3 of them that I really wanted to have in my collection anyway. But if you can find that HD player deal for between 100-200 or get the added 50 dollar gift card for the PS3 then it makes the deal feel a bit better.
eBay the movies (when you get them) and you should have no issues getting $12-$15 for each depending on the movie. I did that with all of the 5 from my HD DVD set as I already had then, or had no interest in them.
Old 12-03-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk God

I could give a rats ass about most of them, but there are a couple that I liked. I'm more interested in the 5 HD-DVDs that I can pick from.
Old 12-03-07, 07:25 PM

The bad thing is all 4 Walmart's around me have maybe 20 and thats a maybe 20 titles in HD DVD available so its highly unlikely i would be able to find 5 in store titles to pick that are halfway decent and besides,i already have all the disc they carry now,Walmart is poor in selection when it comes to HD DVD but maybe its just my Walmarts.I did pick up the A2 when it was $98 at the last secret sale as well as Blood Diamond,Full metal Jacket deluxe version and backdraft btu they did not have all the titles that were available that day for $14.99 so i see the same thing happening again.It is a good deal for new HD DVD owners but not for existing owners in my opinion.I just do not see them ahving a large choice of selections and if so,they will probally be titles nobody really wants.
Old 12-03-07, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ace749
i bought the A2, at the beginning of November when it was $99, Does anyone think if i take the receipt in, that they might let me pick up 5 free HD movies on this sale? Is it even worth a shot?

I don't know if it matters, but I bought my A3 from BB 2 weeks ago for $199, and went in tonight w/ my receipt and their ad and got my 3 free.

So it may be worth a shot, what is the worst that can happen?
Old 12-04-07, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I disagree. These 5 free are ones that you can select. I am sure I could go in and pick out five titles that I wouldn't mind having, and they would all be at least $20 at WalMart. You have to go by actual cost, not what you "perceive" the value to be. I COULD say that a POTCMC is only "worth" $15 because it has been on BOGO so many times, but I couldn't get it for $15 at WalMart.
Old 12-04-07, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by GameOver
It is a good deal for new HD DVD owners but not for existing owners in my opinion.
Exactly. All of these deals are aimed at new adopters.
Old 12-04-07, 08:26 AM

I disagree. These 5 free are ones that you can select. I am sure I could go in and pick out five titles that I wouldn't mind having, and they would all be at least $20 at WalMart. You have to go by actual cost, not what you "perceive" the value to be. I COULD say that a POTCMC is only "worth" $15 because it has been on BOGO so many times, but I couldn't get it for $15 at WalMart.
You don't "have to go by actual cost" if you weren't going to buy them in the first place. You assume everyone here has 5 titles at WalMart they plan to pick up in the near future. Given the high costs of media and the two formats, renting is an option.
Old 12-04-07, 10:35 AM

No, I assume if someone does not have an HD DVD player, they surely can pick five discs that they want.

Again, these deals are not aimed towards people who have a format, but new adopters.
Old 12-04-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wonder if they are counting 300 and Bourne Identity in with the 7 free movies on the A3.
Old 12-04-07, 10:51 AM

No, I assume if someone does not have an HD DVD player, they surely can pick five discs that they want.

Again, these deals are not aimed towards people who have a format, but new adopters.
They "can", but why should they "have" to? Some may want to get a player and just rent. The value of something to someone is what they're willing to pay to get it.
Old 12-04-07, 12:46 PM

IF someone takes advantage of this deal, they are getting $200 worth of player and at least ~$100 worth of HD DVDs, or more for $200. I don't understand why this is so hard to understand.

I'm not saying they should "have to" pick one up. All I am saying is that IF $100 is a palatable price for an HD DVD player and IF you can find five discs you would purchase anyway then you could say that the player is within your palatable price range.

Sheesh.
Old 12-04-07, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by ToddSm66
Wonder if they are counting 300 and Bourne Identity in with the 7 free movies on the A3.
I assume they are.
Old 12-04-07, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The thread on it is not even off the first page.
Old 12-04-07, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk God

I've heard nothing of this sale. Especially 2 pages of discussion.
Old 12-05-07, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by MBoyd
The thread on it is not even off the first page.
I think a big "problem" here in this sub-forum over the past few weeks is all the new adopters not doing a cursory search to see if there is a thread where their question/comment is already under discussion.

I swear if we see one more "Is format x Region-Free?" or "I just got a format x player!" thread, I'll scream.

Take a peek before hitting that "post" button. If you have thought about it, chances are really good that someone else has as well.
Old 12-05-07, 07:20 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MBoyd
How can they expect people to buy at those prices? The A3 was $200 at Best Buy all Thanksgiving week.
Because people don't have time machines?
Old 12-05-07, 07:27 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
I think, as usual, dvdtalkers need to chill out about the creation of a duplicate thread.
Old 12-05-07, 07:37 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Because people don't have time machines?
technicality.
Old 12-05-07, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I think, as usual, dvdtalkers need to chill out about the creation of a duplicate thread.
This isn't about a 'duplicate' thread - it's asking about a topic that is the actual subject of the thread being posted in.
Old 12-05-07, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Banky
Anyone have any info on the rumored secret sale this Friday at Wal Mart? Apparently they will be offering Free DVDs with purchase of the player. I might get in on this if it is actually true.
I won't beat around the bush like the previous replies...

Did you read the first post in this thread?
Old 12-05-07, 09:00 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shelland
This isn't about a 'duplicate' thread - it's asking about a topic that is the actual subject of the thread being posted in.
no. it's not. the "duplicate" thread was merged into this thread by a moderator. This morning, many of these responses were located in a different, granted duplicate thread that pushed many into near suicide.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.