Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Toshiba A3 deal w/11 dvd's $171

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Toshiba A3 deal w/11 dvd's $171

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-07, 06:28 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrhan
Oh, get off your high horse. If you had the same deal you would be bragging about it, too.
No, I'm the type of person that, when given too much change back, tells the clerk and hands back the money.
Old 11-28-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Is this deal still alive (with the 10 discs, that is)?
Old 11-28-07, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cccheel
No, I'm the type of person that, when given too much change back, tells the clerk and hands back the money.

so do I.

if i could speak with Jeff Bezos directly, I would give it back to. I want the chance to tell him, "Hey Jeff, your attempt to save money by outsourcing your call center to India is failing."

If he wants to provide sub-par CS to his customers, this is one of the consequences.

read the thread a fatwallet regarding this deal. people were ordering the player and movies, and then due to a glitch they were able to cancel the movies and get a credit back so they got the player for almost $100.

that is a direct attempt to scam amazon.

better CS reps would avoid this.

funny how you have as many posts in this thread as you do in your 3+ years here.
Old 11-28-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know I might have come off as "dick-ish" with my comment, I didn't mean for that to happen. I hate when people get "deals" and know it is a mistake and they complain, you know what i mean.

Am I jealous? You bet! However, I was happy with my A2 purchase for 80.xx on a price match from sears.
Old 11-28-07, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyway...... I just got conformation that my DVD player shipped, so you all should be getting them before X-mas.
Old 11-28-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^

I ordered this on Thanksgiving night, received the 3 movies on Saturday and just received the player today.
Old 11-28-07, 04:35 PM

Do i need HDMI cables for this player? I have a 720p lcd tv. I havent opened the box yet.....

Excuse my ignorance
Old 11-28-07, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by RonMexico
Do i need HDMI cables for this player? I have a 720p lcd tv. I havent opened the box yet.....

Excuse my ignorance
Absolutely. If you have a receiver that doesn't have HDMI, you'll also need an optical cable to run audio.
Old 11-28-07, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by JustinCleveland
Absolutely. If you have a receiver that doesn't have HDMI, you'll also need an optical cable to run audio.
My tv has a HDMI input that doesnt count?
Old 11-29-07, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by RonMexico
My tv has a HDMI input that doesnt count?

do you want audio to come out of your tv or your receiver?

do you have hdmi receiver?
Old 12-02-07, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts
I hooked up my A3 tonight from the Amazon deal...

Very please. After reading how slow start up was, how slow disc loading was, how sluggish the remote was...I'm very please. Yea initial start up is a little slow, but not terrible. And disc loading? I didn't think it was all that long. Remote? Again, not a big deal. Did I notice it seemed to take a second for each command, yea...but it was only a second.

Looks like I'm going to have to pick up a wireless bridge or access point. I can't get wired net connection to this room. I haven't checked what FW it came with. I'm re-programing my Harmony Remote now.

Picture Quality???

I mainly bought this to replace my V. Inc D1 upconverting DVD player. The D1 is a nice player (I did the mod on it) but lately been a little flaky and my wife was getting pissed. So I grabbed this Toshiba. I didn't leave the D1 hooked up for a direct comparison, but the 1st SD disc I put in the A3 is one I use for testing all the time. And right off the bat, I thought the A3 was better. Better black levels and seemed more "rich" looked. Next up was Bourne that came with it. Yea, not the best movie to test, but figured it was better then the "grainy" 300. Overall I was impressed. Again black levels and shadow detail were most impressive.

I didn't watch the entire movie. But I jumped around a lot. Went back and forth to the menu and such. Never had a problem. When I turned everything else off in the room, I could just barely hear the fan or whatever. But once I turned on my Projector it's fan was louder and of course any volume from a movie took care of both.

So far very pleased.