HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Another HD DVD convert in the family

Old 11-20-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Another HD DVD convert in the family

Well I am in Austin visiting my mother this week. Her 27" Mitsibishi from 1994 gave out last week. What a POS that TV was. It never seemed to look OR sound right. My 26" from 1990 with S Video is still going strong, however. So I don't exactly hate the brand.

Anyway she decided she needed a new TV. We looked for a couple of days and finally decided on the SONY KDL 46W3000 which was on sale for just under 2k at Frys. What an upgrade huh?

Oh and I was a bad A/V enthusiast as didn't read any reviews online. I was mainly looking at Samsungs first. I figured I could take it back if it sucked, but the reviews I have read seem pretty positive and the price was right.

Funny thing is, she has dreamed of hanging a TV on the wall since at least 1980, I shit you not. I don't know what sci fi books she was reading but I remember her talking about it a few times while growing up. So about 10 years ago when semi-retired and built her house, she set aside a special nook for her dream TV. My uncle and I plan to mount it there for her this week.

So now the HD DVD content:

As an early gift to her for Christmas since I won't be here, I grabbed an HD A3 and 2001 (her fav film) for her at Best Buy. The guy even said they would price match Sears on Black Friday (I may not even want to get out in the crazyness for $30).

While at Best Buy she kept asking why she needed the HD DVD player and saying she had a perfectly good Philips DVD player she won in a contest at work 6 years ago. Oh is she in for a shock . . .
Old 11-20-07, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Well I am in Austin visiting my mother this week. Her 27" Mitsibishi from 1994 gave out last week. What a POS that TV was. It never seemed to look OR sound right. My 26" from 1990 with S Video is still going strong, however. So I don't exactly hate the brand.

Anyway she decided she needed a new TV. We looked for a couple of days and finally decided on the SONY KDL 46W3000 which was on sale for just under 2k at Frys. What an upgrade huh?

Oh and I was a bad A/V enthusiast as didn't read any reviews online. I was mainly looking at Samsungs first. I figured I could take it back if it sucked, but the reviews I have read seem pretty positive and the price was right.

Funny thing is, she has dreamed of hanging a TV on the wall since at least 1980, I shit you not. I don't know what sci fi books she was reading but I remember her talking about it a few times while growing up. So about 10 years ago when semi-retired and built her house, she set aside a special nook for her dream TV. My uncle and I plan to mount it there for her this week.

So now the HD DVD content:

As an early gift to her for Christmas since I won't be here, I grabbed an HD A3 and 2001 (her fav film) for her at Best Buy. The guy even said they would price match Sears on Black Friday (I may not even want to get out in the crazyness for $30).

While at Best Buy she kept asking why she needed the HD DVD player and saying she had a perfectly good Philips DVD player she won in a contest at work 6 years ago. Oh is she in for a shock . . .
Make sure to tell her the movies in the blue cases wont work.