HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Die Hard 1 and 3 Blu-ray vs DVD comparisons

Old 11-19-07, 06:18 PM

Die Hard 1 and 3 Blu-ray vs DVD comparisons

Here are some comparison shots.

Die Hard:

http://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/foru...pic.php?t=4078

Die Hard 3:

http://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/foru...pic.php?t=4077
Old 11-19-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, great shots, and better than I was expecting for the original film. I thought it was a soft film for some reason.
Old 11-19-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

With a Vengeance looks spectacular compared to the DVD. I have the two-disc version on DVD, and while it was supposed to be much better than the first release, I've always felt it looks pretty bad.
Old 11-19-07, 10:10 PM

I know what I'll be picking up this week!
Old 11-19-07, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Uh, am I the only not impressed? Die Hard 3 looks good but the original isn't worth upgrading in my book.
Old 11-19-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Uh, am I the only not impressed? Die Hard 3 looks good but the original isn't worth upgrading in my book.
I'm not impressed either with the original even number 3 doesn't look like a significant upgrade. These will probably be a rental for me.
Old 11-19-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

DH not impressive? Sure, the film kinda looks its age, but notice how the grain is clearly rendered instead of being smeared over in the DVD shots. See how the letters on the bottom phone buttons are legible instead of them being blurred together.

Is it the grain itself that's a problem?
Old 11-20-07, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
I'm not impressed either with the original even number 3 doesn't look like a significant upgrade. These will probably be a rental for me.
WHAT? #3 doesn't look like a significant upgrade to you from those pics? You mean to tell me you can't look at the street shot with the stop light and not see the absolute night and day difference between the two? The DVD looks ridiculously soft and blurry, with tons of ugly edge enhancement....the Blu-ray looks sharp and clean, you can see the expression on McClane's face, read the numbers on the police truck's license plate and the street signs, even the store fronts are fully legible!
Old 11-20-07, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by WMAangel
WHAT? #3 doesn't look like a significant upgrade to you from those pics? You mean to tell me you can't look at the street shot with the stop light and not see the absolute night and day difference between the two? The DVD looks ridiculously soft and blurry, with tons of ugly edge enhancement....the Blu-ray looks sharp and clean, you can see the expression on McClane's face, read the numbers on the police truck's license plate and the street signs, even the store fronts are fully legible!
Seriously, that street shot is what sold me.
Old 11-20-07, 10:40 AM

Looks good, but the price is too high. The lowest price is at deepdiscount 95*.8=$76 for four movies.
Old 11-20-07, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by truelies
Looks good, but the price is too high. The lowest price is at deepdiscount 95*.8=$76 for four movies.
Amazon has it a few bucks cheaper, assuming you're eligible for the 10% discount. And with Amazon, even if you choose the Super Saver Shipping, you'll still get it in less time than you would with DD.
Old 11-20-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amazing screencaps...any Die Hard 2 ones available?

Definitely buying these now, the transfer looks stunning.
Old 11-20-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The screen shots look very good, and my vision sucks!

This would be a good reason for me buy the PS3 (at Amazon if I get that kick ass prices for $149 or whatever it is.)
Old 11-20-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am really impressed by Die Hard 3
Old 11-20-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Uh, am I the only one not impressed?
Yes.
Old 11-20-07, 12:43 PM

How can you not be impressed by the difference? Looks like a serious upgrade to me...
Old 11-20-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Yes.

::
Old 11-20-07, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Amazon has it a few bucks cheaper, assuming you're eligible for the 10% discount. And with Amazon, even if you choose the Super Saver Shipping, you'll still get it in less time than you would with DD.
I don't have 10% off.
Old 11-20-07, 06:35 PM
Banned

If you're not impressed, you have incredible standards and probably never bought into DVD's low res boom. I never expected the first one to look so good, but I watched it myself tonight and it was sick. Just awesome and almost like seeing it again in the theater.
Old 11-20-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think people not impressed with these Die Hard releases probably expect every film to have the detail and clarity of King Kong when released on HD media.

I can't imagine these Die Hard films looking any better...from the screencaps i've seen they're gorgeous
Old 11-20-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Die Hard 3 is a major upgrade over any dvd version ever released. Dvds of it were always riddled with very bad edge enhancement and other nasty artifacts. If you don't see an upgrade then High Definition is probably a waste of money for you in general.
Old 11-20-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Yes.
Uhh...

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
Old 11-20-07, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Price dropped at DD.com. With the 20% its like $66 for the set. But I'm aggravated that Live Free or Die Hard is only the theatrical cut. So I think I'll probably hold off. I haven't watched the regular DVDs in ages anyway.

Last edited by jdpatri; 11-20-07 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-20-07, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Uhh...

The street shot is the only one that impressed me. The other shots shown don't show a significant difference at all. Plus there looks like a heck of a lot of noise in many of the pics.
Old 11-21-07, 12:42 AM
Banned

Regardless of the screen captures, on the three TVs I ran the movies on (50" plasma, 52" LCD, and 65" RP), the comparisons weren't even close. I sampled the exact same scenes flipping between HDMI Blu-Ray and HDMI up convert DVDs. I would love to see these on a big screen, but I'm not set up for FP, so 65" is my max, but even these moderate screens, the difference is night & day. But like I have said before, I have friends who still insist VHS is fine, so I understand that not everyone appreciates visual upgrades as much as others.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.