Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will old TV shows eventually make it to HD?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Will old TV shows eventually make it to HD?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-07, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
Another question, Isn't NSTC 525 lines of resoultion?
No, NTSC has 525 scan line, of which around 480 provide actual picture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTSC#Li...d_refresh_rate

NTSC DVD provides exactly 480 lines of actual picture:
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.4.1
Old 11-12-07, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainRon
Seinfeld won't be on HD any time soon. Believe me.
Ok I'll bite, even if it does it won't be for a really really really long time. However, I will say that i THINK Sopranos will be be in a complete series HD around the same time that the complete series comes out on SD.

Doesn't anyone appreciate the fact that the way a show was filmed originally allows it to keep some of it's character?
I could see Seasons of Seinfeld being released on HD soon, if only because they remastered the show in HD for when they released the standard DVDs.

As far as the Complete Sopranos goes, it wouldn't surprise me if they waited to release the individual seasons first, considering how high the price tag for a Complete Series release on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray would be.
Old 11-12-07, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
As far as the Complete Sopranos goes, it wouldn't surprise me if they waited to release the individual seasons first, considering how high the price tag for a Complete Series release on HD-DVD or Blu-Ray would be.
Can you imagine? The MSRP would be at least $500, probably more.
Old 11-12-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Would be cool to get the complete series in HD and also get one or two discs with the complete series in SD. So for $ridiculous you get the HD and also the ease of having 100 episodes (or whatever) on one disc.
Old 11-13-07, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, i like the idea of having less discs... it would be cool if the complete series is on few discs instead of like 20-40

Well, for one thing, less space and the other is, you don't have to get up and change disc often (well, if you have those 5-disc player thing, i guess it's okay).
Old 11-13-07, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy
I am aware of the original resolution being what it is and unchangable. I was thinking along the lines of what superbit claimed to be. I just figured with alot more space, a better almost "master" transfer could be given to older shows.
here could theoretically be less compression, but we have seen that is is the quality of the compression codec used coupled with the skill of the person managing the compression that results in a good looking transfer.
That was the second part of my answer.

Superbit, in theory, is just a less compressed transfer. But we have seen that that does not always translate into a better image, even in the case of Superbit releases.
Old 11-13-07, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ocelot
Yeah, i like the idea of having less discs... Well, for one thing, less space and the other is, you don't have to get up and change disc often.
Most DVD discs hold 2-3 hours of content. Over the course of watching some 20+ hours of content you're going to be getting up anyway, so I don't really see what the big deal is over switching discs.
Old 11-14-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you're right and wrong Jay G... it's not about being lazy for some... for me, packing all episodes on few discs means easiness of searching for a particular episode or a particular scene. If you got one those photographic memory brain, then i don't think it's a problem for you. However, i don't remember all of the episode titles and having one season on fewer discs, it really helps...
Old 11-14-07, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ocelot
you're right and wrong Jay G... it's not about being lazy for some... for me, packing all episodes on few discs means easiness of searching for a particular episode or a particular scene.
I use the internet for that. It's great, you can use keywords and everything. Are you seriously saying you scan through every episode in a box set to find a particular scene?

Last edited by Jay G.; 11-14-07 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-15-07, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
He sure as hell wasn't talking about the pops and hisses when he said that.
Ummmm yes he was...
Old 11-15-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ummmm yes he was...
First off, All Nic Cage's character in The Rock says is that Beatles LPs "sound better" than the CDs. He doesn't say at all why he thinks they sound better, so there's no way to say definitively whether he was referring to the pops and hisses, or instead to a perceived better audio reproduction in the LPs.

Secondly, find me any [i]non[i/]-fictional character that says that they prefer LPs because of the pops, scratches and hisses.

Finally, as I mentioned in the first post, the pops and hisses are side-effects of the medium, not features. They don't appear in the original masters for the work replicated on vinyl, and in most cases every attempt is made to reduce the introduction and audio reproduction of these audio artifacts. It's just like with film: every attempt is made to keep dirt and scratches off of the film in the first place, and extensive restoration projects are undertaken to remove what scratches and dirt do inevitably end up on the film.

From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramoph...d#LP_versus_CD
vinyl records were still prized by audiophiles because of better reproduction of analog recordings; however, the drawback was greater sensitivity to scratches and dust....