HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Any Pixar Movie Impressions Yet?

Old 11-06-07, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Any Pixar Movie Impressions Yet?

Since there are no reviews for Ratatouille or Cars on BD yet, I was wondering about how these two came out. Disney was very cryptic about the special features of the discs, especially Cars. If anyone has picked up these discs and had a chance to check them out, could you please post some impressions here? Thanks!
Old 11-06-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have Ratatouille but I won't get to it until tonight.
Old 11-06-07, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I have Ratatouille but I won't get to it until tonight.
same here...

I am stoked - took the plunge and bought the PS3 at Best Buy, gonna hook it up this afternoon [3 hrs and 11 minutes counting til rapid departure from work] just in time when the UPS guy will drop off my weekly Amazon orders...

Old 11-06-07, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hidefdigest just reviewed Cars as a 5/5. No Ratatouille or Shorts yet

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/630/cars.html
Old 11-06-07, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just bought Ratatouille and watched a few minutes of it. WOW it looks amazing! It'll definitely be the movie I choose to showcase Blu-ray to my friends and family. I'll be picking up Cars later tonight.
Old 11-06-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just finished watching Cars and my jaw is still on the ground, WOW! IMO the new king of HD! Now for some Ratatouille!
Old 11-06-07, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can someone post about the Ratatouille extras? The back of the BR box lists the Ultimate Backstage Pass or some such thing. What is it, exactly?
Old 11-06-07, 11:27 PM
Cool New Member

Both movies have just one word:AWESOME! That just about sums it up for me!
Old 11-07-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ratatouille may not be as flashy as Cars, but it is equally spectacular. Hats off to Disney, IMO they just set THE HDM standard for other studios to try & hit. Pixar Shorts Vol. 1 will be here tomorrow, can't wait to check that out now!
Old 11-07-07, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Personally, I have never been a fan of kids movies like this. I'll rent Ratatioiiue, but from what I saw of Cars (and the 360 game my girlfriend played), it was horrible IMO.

The only ones I would ever buy would be Aladdin, Lion King, Mulan, Finding Nemo and Toy Story. Pass on everything else. However I don't think we will be seeing of these anytime in the next 5 years :-(
Old 11-07-07, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cars is very much Pixar for Middle America. I loved it the first time I saw it, the respect diminished after my co-worker put it on the DVR for the 4,391st time. Five words: Larry the fucking Cable Guy. Yeesh.

However, the supporting voice work is what does this. The best was George Carlin as the obviously stoned VW bus...loved Cheech Marin too. It was also pleasant to see Jeremy Piven play the main car's "agent" and simply giving Michael Keaton work on a movie is good. And Paul Newman...need I say more?

There is one gag, however, that kills me every time I think about it...might be the hardest I've laughed at Pixar.

Spoiler:
During the end credits, when they show the "drive-in" and all the car versions of Pixar's previous efforts, and every time a character John Ratzenberger is on-screen talking, the Clavin-mobile he voices keeps talking about how great the guy is and then ponders about how it may be the same guy. A great in-joke on their part.
Old 11-07-07, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Personally, I have never been a fan of kids movies like this. I'll rent Ratatioiiue, but from what I saw of Cars (and the 360 game my girlfriend played), it was horrible IMO.

The only ones I would ever buy would be Aladdin, Lion King, Mulan, Finding Nemo and Toy Story. Pass on everything else. However I don't think we will be seeing of these anytime in the next 5 years :-(
Even though Ratatouille is a CG film, I would hardly call it a kid's movie. I understand why a lot of people didn't enjoy Cars, but I don't get how the quality of the video game relates to the quality of the movie.
Old 11-07-07, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Ratatouille: Some scenes were so vivid and the motion was so real, when I got up to get another coke (during the sewer ride), I nearly fell over!

Re: Cars: Always Loved this one! In 1080 it blew my mind all over the apartment. Watched it hours ago and I'm still picking up the pieces. KA-CHOW! Indeed!

Man, Oh Man! HD is nothing short of A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

With regards to this technology: What a GREAT time to be alive!

-FOR THEEK'S SAKE!

Last edited by The Edit King; 11-11-07 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-07-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Y'all are killing me here! I have to wait until next Thursday to get my TV's motherboard replaced so I can even use my HDMI port.. and then Amazon might not even have my discs to me until after Thanksgiving! I am SO pumped for these discs, I hope we don't have to wait long to get the rest of Pixar's catalog.

Originally Posted by The Edit King
With regards to this technology: What a GREAT time to be alive!
Can I get an amen?
Old 11-07-07, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by The Edit King
Re: Ratatouille: Some scenes were so vivid and the motion was so real, when I got up to get another coke (during the sewer ride), I nearly fell over!
I thought another scene that was jawdropping was the paper chase along the Siene (sp?) talk about wanting to reach in and grab the flying piece of paper - 'vivid' is an understatement
Old 11-07-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Cars is very much Pixar for Middle America. I loved it the first time I saw it, the respect diminished after my co-worker put it on the DVR for the 4,391st time. Five words: Larry the fucking Cable Guy. Yeesh.

However, the supporting voice work is what does this. The best was George Carlin as the obviously stoned VW bus...loved Cheech Marin too. It was also pleasant to see Jeremy Piven play the main car's "agent" and simply giving Michael Keaton work on a movie is good. And Paul Newman...need I say more?

There is one gag, however, that kills me every time I think about it...might be the hardest I've laughed at Pixar.

Spoiler:
During the end credits, when they show the "drive-in" and all the car versions of Pixar's previous efforts, and every time a character John Ratzenberger is on-screen talking, the Clavin-mobile he voices keeps talking about how great the guy is and then ponders about how it may be the same guy. A great in-joke on their part.
I like Cars, and I'm not into Nascar. The review posted above hit all the right notes. It's better than it gets credit for. The gag that kills me every time is the "freebird" bit.

Ratatouille is hardly a kids film, btw.
Old 11-07-07, 09:38 AM

and I think that was part of the reason why Cars succeeded more so than Ratatouille, Cars was definately more for the kiddie's. I've enjoyed all of Pixar's films up til Cars, which I felt lowered the bar for some adults to really enjoy it (raises hand).

~

side comment: I am soooo siked on the future release of 'Sleeping Beauty' on bluray - the ad for it's Fall 2008 had me salivating.
Old 11-07-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

All I have to say is wow. I've had BR for a year now and this is the first time that i was truely floored. Not to say that I haven't enjoyed my BR player, but this just sets the bar so high I can't express how great it looks. Bring on Nemo and Incredibles and I can die happy.
Old 11-07-07, 10:32 AM

Ratatouille is probably the best looking Blu-ray I own now.
Old 11-07-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am not at all surprised that these look great. I have popped on Cars on StarzHD a couple times and even on there it blew me away.
Old 11-07-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll echo what everyone else has said. I've had HD DVD since December and BD since February. It's been a long time since I've been absolutely stunned by the picture quality of a disc, but both Ratatouille and Cars had me picking my jaw up off the floor.
Old 11-07-07, 11:11 PM

I rented Ratatouille tonight, the sound and picture quality were outstanding, one thing I liked was one of the extras was a how to properly setup your hdtv for better viewing, although the HUE section had me totally confused

Having never seen the movie before, I thought it was good not my usual kind that I enjoy, back to the car chases, explosions and hot babes movies I go
Old 11-08-07, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ratatouille looked excellent, but, damn, it took for-freakin'-ever to load; it was worse than POTC. And people say they don't like the time it takes for HD DVD players to boot up? Obviously they've never tried the BDP-S300. Anyway, I popped Cars in before leaving for work, so it should be loaded by the time I get home this afternoon. I can't wait to see how that looks.
Old 11-08-07, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Vipper II
Anyway, I popped Cars in before leaving for work, so it should be loaded by the time I get home this afternoon.
Old 11-08-07, 09:20 AM

I'm a little past the midway point (Chapter 19) of Ratatouille in Cine-mode and I have to say it's the HiDef DVD of the year - by a mile - with conceptual art, photos, branching off to deleted scenes and featurettes, essentially in the same mode as New Line's Infinifilm DVD's minus the onscreen images.

on a side note, my PS3 didn't have a long load-up time.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.