Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Need help getting HDMI to work with Toshiba A2

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 11-03-07, 09:08 PM

I've had my dvd player connected via component input and it's always worked fine. With my recent Toshiba A2 purchase, I want to use the HDMI connection. I switched the source to "Video 6: HDMI", but my display shows "no signal". I know my cable is good because I took it off of my other tv/dvd setup. I even brought the other dvd player in to see if it was the player and came up with the same problem. Anyway the Toshiba does work using component input. Is there something I'm not getting?
Old 11-04-07, 01:01 AM

Well you've isolated the problem to your TV. Therefore it is something on your TV, more info about the model, brand, ect might be helpful
Old 11-04-07, 01:24 AM

Sorry, I should have included that. Here's what I have.
MAG MA-32EF1AC
Old 11-04-07, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Holysmoker
I've had my dvd player connected via component input and it's always worked fine. With my recent Toshiba A2 purchase, I want to use the HDMI connection. I switched the source to "Video 6: HDMI", but my display shows "no signal". I know my cable is good because I took it off of my other tv/dvd setup. I even brought the other dvd player in to see if it was the player and came up with the same problem. Anyway the Toshiba does work using component input. Is there something I'm not getting?
I'm confused by this: "I know my cable is good because I took it off of my other tv/dvd setup. I even brought the other dvd player in to see if it was the player and came up with the same problem."

This other player has HDMI, and this is an HDMI cable? It works with your other TV's HDMI input?

In that case, what happens when you connect the A2 to the other TV with an HDMI cable?
Old 11-04-07, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you running the HDMI cable directly from your A2 to the TV, or are you hitting a receiver or switch first?

I can tell you, my A20 is very finnicky when it comes to the HDMI handshake. I have to make sure the TV and the receiver are on the correct inputs, or I will have fully cycle power on it to re-handshake. This is also the case if I switch to a different input on my TV then come back to the HDMI input with the A20 on it.

Conversely, my BDP-S1 and Oppo never have a problem with re-acquiring handshake, so I would isolate my issue to the A20.
Old 11-04-07, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by rdclark
I'm confused by this: "I know my cable is good because I took it off of my other tv/dvd setup. I even brought the other dvd player in to see if it was the player and came up with the same problem."

This other player has HDMI, and this is an HDMI cable? It works with your other TV's HDMI input?

In that case, what happens when you connect the A2 to the other TV with an HDMI cable?
Yes, the A2 works on my other tv without any problem.
Old 11-05-07, 06:46 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a baffling problem somewhat similar to this awhile back, turned out the a few of the little metal pins in the female HDMI port of my upconverting DVD player were bent up and broken.... evidently they are pretty fragile... check the port itself... and make sure everything is aok....
Old 11-05-07, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Holysmoker
Yes, the A2 works on my other tv without any problem.
Well, if the A2 works on your other TV via HDMI using a given cable, but two different HDMI players fail to work with this TV via HDMI with the same cable, you've eliminated everything but the TV's own HDMI input as the source of the problem.

Is there a setup option for that input? Do you have it "bypassed"? Does it need to be activated in a menu, or is there a physical switch of some sort?
Old 11-05-07, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by rdclark
Well, if the A2 works on your other TV via HDMI using a given cable, but two different HDMI players fail to work with this TV via HDMI with the same cable, you've eliminated everything but the TV's own HDMI input as the source of the problem.

Is there a setup option for that input? Do you have it "bypassed"? Does it need to be activated in a menu, or is there a physical switch of some sort?
There is just a "source" button to switch between the 6 different inputs. I'll check for settings when I get home today.

I may just end up leaving it on my other tv in my bedroom to avoid all this caca.
Old 11-09-07, 02:21 PM

Just a quick update. Yesterday, my new hdmi cable from monoprice came in so I attempted to hook it up again. At first I got the same "no signal" message. Then, as I went to check my connections, the screen went black. I put a disc in and pressed play and it worked. I guess it takes a while to link up between the player and my tv. Anyway It looks great. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions.