Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dan Silverberg's HD Comments...

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-07, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

So, I figured this would/should be a thread on it's own.

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Basically, that WB is reconsidering their dual support position. They will cast their lot with one format after the Q4 numbers.
Dan Silverberg is putting words into the mouths of consumers. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is buying a house for him overseas.

Dan needs to fix his company's shipping department as well, rather than concentrating on which format is selling better.
Old 11-01-07, 08:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Dan Silverberg is a class act and one of the few executives in this war who has managed to come across with tact and dignity. I can't even imagine what kind of pressure has been brought to bear on WB to go exclusive on one side or another and I think they've been extraordinarily good at staying above the fray until they cast their final vote.

However, I do agree that WB is having serious problems getting product to stores on time. That is more distressing than anything.
Old 11-01-07, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, I wonder what kind of pre$$ure. Dropping one format is just ridiculous from a movie asset standpoint. Is Dan saying Blu-ray is outselling HD DVD 100:1? Because it would have to in order to simply drop one format and assume you couldn't make a profit.

Having BOTH formats and producing both is a successful way to keep HD alive. If not, I'm out. Fuck'em both. I'll go back to SD DVD. And I think a lot of others will, too. I don't like being fucked with like this.

I want a choice. That's why I chose HD DVD.
Old 11-01-07, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Yeah, I wonder what kind of pre$$ure. Dropping one format is just ridiculous from a movie asset standpoint. Is Dan saying Blu-ray is outselling HD DVD 100:1? Because it would have to in order to simply drop one format and assume you couldn't make a profit.

Having BOTH formats and producing both is a successful way to keep HD alive. If not, I'm out. Fuck'em both. I'll go back to SD DVD. And I think a lot of others will, too. I don't like being fucked with like this.

I want a choice. That's why I chose HD DVD.
Excuse me, but that's exactly what Paramount and Dreamworks did with BD.
Old 11-01-07, 09:11 PM
Banned by request

All I can say is that most of us went into this with the expectation that one format would eventually win out over the other. Some people here have posited that the two could and would co-exist, but I think the reality of studio politics is that one will eventually go the way of the dinosaur. However, no matter which side WB takes (and especially if it's HD), the other format isn't going away overnight. Universal and Sony have dug in and things will get hairy before this is all over.
Old 11-01-07, 09:17 PM

If WB goes HD-DVD it will simply even the playing field. However, if WB goes BD, it's game over.
Old 11-01-07, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Could we get the full qoute that this thread is reffering to? I havn't been keeping up to date with everything lately. I did see a qoute in the Hd campaign email that went out in the last 24 hours, though I don't know where it was from.

Said Ron Sanders, President of Warner Home Video: "It will be really pivotal what Toshiba does this fourth quarter in hardware. If they sell through everything they ship, and it's a big number at the price points that are coming out, then I think [HD DVD] will be around for a long time."
Old 11-01-07, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by theflyingdutch
Excuse me, but that's exactly what Paramount and Dreamworks did with BD.
Excuse me, I'm for BOTH formats. We can talk about P and D in your thread if you want.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-01-07 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-01-07, 09:25 PM

Excuse me, I'm for BOTH formats.
That's why you chose HD-DVD?
Old 11-01-07, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I chose HD DVD because I liked more movies being released on HD DVD. Why go Blu-ray when I liked more titles on HD DVD? Also, I wanted the region-free convenience.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-01-07 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-02-07, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Having BOTH formats and producing both is a successful way to keep HD alive. If not, I'm out. Fuck'em both. I'll go back to SD DVD.
Wait, so if Warner were to drop BD, you're going to stop buying HD DVD's from them? I don't get it...and if they were to stop making HD DVD's I don't think you'd have a choice to say "Fuck 'em"...they'd be saying that to YOU.

I think Warner reevaluating could be a huge turning point in the 'war', but we'll have to wait and see...it could be much ado about nothing.
Old 11-02-07, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THIS is the reason why I'm like FUNKit with the HD/BD stuff. Its not the studio's that make me upset. Its the people that take sides in something, and are willing to almost throw down over it.

I think its ridiculous and childish.

With everything going on, the prices going down - I think it makes it better for the consumer in the long run.

Both can co-exist.

Its just a matter of 1st and 2nd place. One title will blow sales way up in one camp, while another title will bring up sales in another.

LIVE WITH IT AND QUIT BICKERING - WE ARE ALL HERE FOR THE SAME PURPOSE...

enjoy the entertainment.
Old 11-02-07, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Wait, so if Warner were to drop BD, you're going to stop buying HD DVD's from them? I don't get it...and if they were to stop making HD DVD's I don't think you'd have a choice to say "Fuck 'em"...they'd be saying that to YOU.

I think Warner reevaluating could be a huge turning point in the 'war', but we'll have to wait and see...it could be much ado about nothing.
If WB were to drop Blu-ray, then BD owners SHOULD say "fuck'em". Both format owners need to start being vigilant in conveying the need for TWO formats. Not one.

But I agree, it's still a waiting game.
Old 11-02-07, 01:08 AM
Banned by request

I think most people are trying to convey the need for one format, not two.
Old 11-02-07, 01:08 AM

I see no room for 2 formats and future uses of a larger sized format is one thing that appeals to me with BD. I will be vigilant for BD.
Old 11-02-07, 01:15 AM
Banned by request

As long as it doesn't lead to forum bickering or format bashing, be as vigilant as you like.
Old 11-02-07, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
As long as it doesn't lead to forum bickering or format bashing, be as vigilant as you like.
Good point.

Everyone, please keep this thread free of bickering or bashing. The reality is that both formats will be around for a very long time, and your bitching about it won't change anything.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums
Old 11-02-07, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by True_Story1011
THIS is the reason why I'm like FUNKit with the HD/BD stuff. Its not the studio's that make me upset. Its the people that take sides in something, and are willing to almost throw down over it.

I think its ridiculous and childish.
It's the people that make you upset.

Who's creating the battlefield for this Format War?

If you think about it, it's companies like Universal, Paramount, Sony, and Disney who have created the great divide and who are responsible for creating the "throw downs".

If these guys aren't proper role models, then how do you expect the rest of us to act?

These companies are purposely creating a controversy, purposely creating conflict, when they should be releasing both formats but at the same time, providing special content for those who have an HD DVD player or BD player.

HD DVD owners should be calling and emailing Blu-ray companies for HD DVD support, and Blu-ray owners should be calling and emailing HD DVD companies for Blu-ray support.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 11-02-07 at 01:59 AM.
Old 11-02-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's the people that make you upset.

People, as in the consumers.

Fullheartedly taking stances in an almost barbaric way to support something that is here to entertain and inspire, as opposed to instigate insults.

Who's creating the battlefield for this Format War?

The consumers, if there was only a need for one format dont you think mass adaption to one format wouldve taken place already?

If you think about it, it's companies like Universal, Paramount, Sony, and Disney who have created the great divide and who are responsible for creating the "throw downs".

If these guys aren't proper role models, then how do you expect the rest of us to act?

Since when have we started holding Manufacturers and Companies as role models? If there is money to be made and people willing to purchase said merchandise than they are there. The only thing that influences companies is blk/red = green.

We were given free will, if you dont want something done, than dont speak up. You cant just wait for it to change. Boycott

These companies are purposely creating a controversy, purposely creating conflict, when they should be releasing both formats but at the same time, providing special content for those who have an HD DVD player or BD player.

HD DVD owners should be calling and emailing Blu-ray companies for HD DVD support, and Blu-ray owners should be calling and emailing HD DVD companies for Blu-ray support.
Have you, Have any of us?
Old 11-02-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Guys look at it this way. Prices are so low on hardware on both sides that you can adopt both formats and it would still be cheaper rather than if there was a single hi-def format. While the CE companies lose in a price war, we as the consumer come out on top in this.
Old 11-02-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Well said.
Old 11-02-07, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Guys look at it this way. Prices are so low on hardware on both sides that you can adopt both formats and it would still be cheaper rather than if there was a single hi-def format. While the CE companies lose in a price war, we as the consumer come out on top in this.
QFT. If there were a single format, we wouldn't have the incredible deals we have today. As a very big supporter of both formats, I certainly wouldn't have been so free with my money if the deals weren't often red hot. We can all thank the war for that.
Old 11-02-07, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by wewantflair
QFT. If there were a single format, we wouldn't have the incredible deals we have today. As a very big supporter of both formats, I certainly wouldn't have been so free with my money if the deals weren't often red hot. We can all thank the war for that.
True. But as of now to see all releases, you have to buy into both formats. And the overall market share is still rather small. So software may stay expensive for some time. These are mass produced items. Widespread popularity should lead to price drops (just like what happened with SD-DVDs). It's not like the format war makes everything about HD more expensive. But it may not make everything cheaper either.
Old 11-02-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Absolutely. Great post.
Old 11-02-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pricdews
True. But as of now to see all releases, you have to buy into both formats. And the overall market share is still rather small. So software may stay expensive for some time. These are mass produced items. Widespread popularity should lead to price drops (just like what happened with SD-DVDs). It's not like the format war makes everything about HD more expensive. But it may not make everything cheaper either.
Are you kidding me? I just bought 4 hd dvds for 14.99 from Walmart today and I took part in the BD BOGO a couple of weeks ago. Plus both camps would be crazy not to have more HDM sales before the year is done as well.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.