HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Do you buy all new releases in High Def?

Old 11-01-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you buy all new releases in High Def?

I really wanted to pick up Reign Over Me. I toyed back and forth with deciding on the DVD or the Blu-ray. This wasn't a movie I figured would look all that much better in HD and it was about $10 more for the Blu-ray as well. Well, I ended up going for the Blu-ray version. Pretty much because I felt overall it was the superior version.

And now onto Superbad. Perhaps the most outrageously priced Blu-ray to come our way. This isn't a grandiose epic, I'll laugh just as hard on DVD or Blu-ray but which one to get?

Have you been faced with the same dilemma?
Old 11-01-07, 11:09 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

No, I only will consider movies that I feel would shine in HD, ie: actioners, horror, sci-fi, epics, etc. RomComs and talkie dramas? nyet.
Old 11-01-07, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I get them in high definition. I wouldn't want my collection to consist only of action and epics. Then again, I don't buy a lot of new releases anyway, maybe one each month on average.
Old 11-01-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
I get them in high definition. I wouldn't want my collection to consist only of action and epics. Then again, I don't buy a lot of new releases anyway, maybe one each month on average.
Sounds like my buying pattern.
Old 11-01-07, 11:32 AM
Banned by request

If it's a movie I like and it's in HD, unless there's something drastically wrong with the HD version, I buy it in HD.
Old 11-01-07, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I only go for the HD versions now... even if the premium is high, I prefer to have the best possible presentation...so for a movie like Superbad or Hot Rod, I'm going hd regardless.
DVD Talk Legend

95% of my discs are blind buys. The only time I won't buy a hi-def version of a movie is if all three of the following criteria is met:

a) a ridiculously good deal on the DVD (sub 15$)
b) a movie that will not benefit from HD sound (comedies, dramas)
c) I am only blind buying the movie for the presence of an actor, though the movie premise is questionable

Having said that, of my 134 Blu-Rays I only skipped out on Norbit and this week's License to Wed.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have told myself I wont buy a new DVD thats higher priced than $9.99, but I have not actually bought a regular DVD (outside of my wifes few Disney movies) since I got my PS3/HD-DVD player and am actually glad.
Old 11-01-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I only go for the HD versions now... even if the premium is high, I prefer to have the best possible presentation...so for a movie like Superbad or Hot Rod, I'm going hd regardless.
Theres my answer. I once was looked down on here for buying The Jerk in HD. But I like the movie, and I want the best it can be.
Old 11-01-07, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I won't buy all hi-def DVDs because I own only an HD-DVD player, so I'll buy SD DVDs for all titles exclusively on Blu-ray. That's fine, too: they're cheaper, and generally look good enough.
Old 11-01-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've bought one DVD since the hi-def formats arrived: Borat.

For titles that don't need to be in HD (King of Kong) I'll buy the DVD if I want it. Otherwise, no. I'll wait until it's in HD.
Old 11-01-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Always. If a new title's not available in HD, I don't get it.
Old 11-01-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Talkies may not require HD, but they do look a world better.

Just saying.
Old 11-01-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll buy HD if it's a significant improvement over the SD. In some cases, though, if the Sd has exclusive packaging or extras then that's where my money goes. Like Knocked Up. I got the 2-disc unrated since the HD lacked most of those extras and that's not really a film I need in HD.
Old 11-01-07, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I will usually buy all in HD... However, Superbad might be one I just skip because of the ridiculous price. Ill wait until I can find a decent deal on it.
Old 11-01-07, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
If it's a movie I like and it's in HD, unless there's something drastically wrong with the HD version, I buy it in HD.
I second that emotion!

Why in the world would I voluntarily suffer SD when I can see it in HD?

That's like dating a girl with only 500 something lines of resolution when there's a perfectly good & decent babe sitting over there in 1080 just waiting for me to pick her up!

-THEEKSAKE!

Last edited by The Edit King; 11-01-07 at 12:49 PM.
Old 11-01-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of course! Why would you squander money on dvds? If the HD version cost a bit more than what you like to pay for, wait...
Old 11-01-07, 04:16 PM

I'm pretty much in Doughboy's boat...

I never buy new films on DVD anymore, I actually started cutting back around February 2006, knowing HD was around the corner.

Television on DVD's a little trickier. If there is an high def option I'll buy that; see Sopranos, Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck, etc. Also, I have pulled back on shows that I know I'll eventually buy if released in HD. I haven't dropped a dime on the most recent releases of CSI, and I don't plan of buying 24: Season 6.

That being said... If a shows on sale, and there is no immediate (one year) HD version on the horizon, I'll pick up the cheap DVD. I most recently purchased Family Guy: Season 5 and My Name is Earl: Season 2 from Fry's which were on sale.

fitprod

Last edited by fitprod; 11-01-07 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-01-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only buy HD and Blu-rays now. I'm holding off on standard DVD's unless it is something I really want that is not available in high def, like some anime. I buy most of my high def releases on special sales or used. I do like steelbooks, so I'm buying a few of those here and there. They recently came out with a HD/Blu-ray sized Steelbook, so I'm hoping to see those surface soon!
Old 11-01-07, 05:11 PM

I'm getting there quickly. Now that the format war is over (Walmart) I should be able to get the all the movies I want soon.
Old 11-01-07, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I want a new title and have the choice, I will always buy the HD version. I don't think I could enjoy watching the SD knowing that the HD is out there.
Old 11-01-07, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, from now all new releases from the HD-DVD camp will be purchased in HD. I do not own a Blu-Ray player yet, so I am still buying SD from those parties.
Old 11-01-07, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Yes, from now all new releases from the HD-DVD camp will be purchased in HD. I do not own a Blu-Ray player yet, so I am still buying SD from those parties.
I believe the question relates to HD, be it HD DVD or Blu-ray. So technically you're answer would be, "no."

Just minor semantics.

fitprod
Old 11-01-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I only buy HD DVD/Blu-ray save for a few smaller horror films or TV Boxsets.
Old 11-01-07, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have an HD-DVD player, so I'll buy newer movies that I really want in that format. If it's only available on Blu-Ray, I'll buy the standard DVD. TV shows, regardless, I buy on standard DVD, because of price.

= J

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.