DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Do you buy all new releases in High Def? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/516019-do-you-buy-all-new-releases-high-def.html)

PopcornTreeCt 11-01-07 10:07 AM

Do you buy all new releases in High Def?

I really wanted to pick up Reign Over Me. I toyed back and forth with deciding on the DVD or the Blu-ray. This wasn't a movie I figured would look all that much better in HD and it was about $10 more for the Blu-ray as well. Well, I ended up going for the Blu-ray version. Pretty much because I felt overall it was the superior version.

And now onto Superbad. Perhaps the most outrageously priced Blu-ray to come our way. This isn't a grandiose epic, I'll laugh just as hard on DVD or Blu-ray but which one to get?

Have you been faced with the same dilemma?

TGM 11-01-07 10:09 AM

No, I only will consider movies that I feel would shine in HD, ie: actioners, horror, sci-fi, epics, etc. RomComs and talkie dramas? nyet.

Drexl 11-01-07 10:12 AM

I get them in high definition. I wouldn't want my collection to consist only of action and epics. Then again, I don't buy a lot of new releases anyway, maybe one each month on average.

rexinnih 11-01-07 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
I get them in high definition. I wouldn't want my collection to consist only of action and epics. Then again, I don't buy a lot of new releases anyway, maybe one each month on average.

Sounds like my buying pattern.

Supermallet 11-01-07 10:32 AM

If it's a movie I like and it's in HD, unless there's something drastically wrong with the HD version, I buy it in HD.

mdc3000 11-01-07 10:34 AM

I only go for the HD versions now... even if the premium is high, I prefer to have the best possible presentation...so for a movie like Superbad or Hot Rod, I'm going hd regardless.

matome 11-01-07 10:34 AM

95% of my discs are blind buys. The only time I won't buy a hi-def version of a movie is if all three of the following criteria is met:

a) a ridiculously good deal on the DVD (sub 15$)
b) a movie that will not benefit from HD sound (comedies, dramas)
c) I am only blind buying the movie for the presence of an actor, though the movie premise is questionable

Having said that, of my 134 Blu-Rays I only skipped out on Norbit and this week's License to Wed.

REL77 11-01-07 10:34 AM

I have told myself I wont buy a new DVD thats higher priced than $9.99, but I have not actually bought a regular DVD (outside of my wifes few Disney movies) since I got my PS3/HD-DVD player and am actually glad.

stingermck 11-01-07 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I only go for the HD versions now... even if the premium is high, I prefer to have the best possible presentation...so for a movie like Superbad or Hot Rod, I'm going hd regardless.

Theres my answer. I once was looked down on here for buying The Jerk in HD. But I like the movie, and I want the best it can be.

bookcase3 11-01-07 10:38 AM

I won't buy all hi-def DVDs because I own only an HD-DVD player, so I'll buy SD DVDs for all titles exclusively on Blu-ray. That's fine, too: they're cheaper, and generally look good enough.

The Bus 11-01-07 10:49 AM

I've bought one DVD since the hi-def formats arrived: Borat.

For titles that don't need to be in HD (King of Kong) I'll buy the DVD if I want it. Otherwise, no. I'll wait until it's in HD.

Doughboy 11-01-07 11:00 AM

Always. If a new title's not available in HD, I don't get it.

RichC2 11-01-07 11:00 AM

Talkies may not require HD, but they do look a world better.

Just saying.

islandclaws 11-01-07 11:13 AM

I'll buy HD if it's a significant improvement over the SD. In some cases, though, if the Sd has exclusive packaging or extras then that's where my money goes. Like Knocked Up. I got the 2-disc unrated since the HD lacked most of those extras and that's not really a film I need in HD.

FantasticVSDoom 11-01-07 11:14 AM

Yeah, I will usually buy all in HD... However, Superbad might be one I just skip because of the ridiculous price. Ill wait until I can find a decent deal on it.

The Edit King 11-01-07 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
If it's a movie I like and it's in HD, unless there's something drastically wrong with the HD version, I buy it in HD.

I second that emotion! :up:

Why in the world would I voluntarily suffer SD when I can see it in HD?

That's like dating a girl with only 500 something lines of resolution when there's a perfectly good & decent babe sitting over there in 1080 just waiting for me to pick her up! :lol:

-THEEKSAKE! :eek:

Ocelot 11-01-07 01:23 PM

Of course! Why would you squander money on dvds? If the HD version cost a bit more than what you like to pay for, wait...

fitprod 11-01-07 03:16 PM

I'm pretty much in Doughboy's boat...

I never buy new films on DVD anymore, I actually started cutting back around February 2006, knowing HD was around the corner.

Television on DVD's a little trickier. If there is an high def option I'll buy that; see Sopranos, Rescue Me, Nip/Tuck, etc. Also, I have pulled back on shows that I know I'll eventually buy if released in HD. I haven't dropped a dime on the most recent releases of CSI, and I don't plan of buying 24: Season 6.

That being said... If a shows on sale, and there is no immediate (one year) HD version on the horizon, I'll pick up the cheap DVD. I most recently purchased Family Guy: Season 5 and My Name is Earl: Season 2 from Fry's which were on sale.

fitprod

Overpar 11-01-07 04:04 PM

I only buy HD and Blu-rays now. I'm holding off on standard DVD's unless it is something I really want that is not available in high def, like some anime. I buy most of my high def releases on special sales or used. I do like steelbooks, so I'm buying a few of those here and there. They recently came out with a HD/Blu-ray sized Steelbook, so I'm hoping to see those surface soon!

TimT 11-01-07 04:11 PM

I'm getting there quickly. Now that the format war is over (Walmart) I should be able to get the all the movies I want soon.

Hammer99 11-01-07 04:37 PM

If I want a new title and have the choice, I will always buy the HD version. I don't think I could enjoy watching the SD knowing that the HD is out there.

DeanoBKN 11-01-07 05:49 PM

Yes, from now all new releases from the HD-DVD camp will be purchased in HD. I do not own a Blu-Ray player yet, so I am still buying SD from those parties.

fitprod 11-01-07 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Yes, from now all new releases from the HD-DVD camp will be purchased in HD. I do not own a Blu-Ray player yet, so I am still buying SD from those parties.

I believe the question relates to HD, be it HD DVD or Blu-ray. So technically you're answer would be, "no."

Just minor semantics.

fitprod

Gizmo 11-01-07 10:32 PM

I only buy HD DVD/Blu-ray save for a few smaller horror films or TV Boxsets.

Tarantino 11-01-07 10:55 PM

I have an HD-DVD player, so I'll buy newer movies that I really want in that format. If it's only available on Blu-Ray, I'll buy the standard DVD. TV shows, regardless, I buy on standard DVD, because of price.

= J