Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

I hope Blu-Ray loses this one, and here's why!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-07, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You Sony/Blu-Ray fanboys are pathetically rabid, aren't you? If you'd take your head out of Sony's arse for a minute, you'd notice that Sony, 20th Century Fox and Lionsgate are (once again) cynically bilking fans of their films by making the choose between the quality of the film, the cut of the film (shall I buy the unrated version of "Live Free or Die Hard" on DVD or the rated version on Blu-Ray?) and special features (can anyone say "Superbit"?).

Don't believe all the BS their PR departments are spinning, they are doing this flat-out because of the money, nothing more. Why is it that EVERY HD-DVD disc so far released has included ALL of their SD-DVD special features, the sole exception being King Kong? Perhaps it's because the HD-DVD camp does not want to take ANYTHING (or ANYONE) for granted in this Hi-Def format war, and is trying to use everything it can to it's advantage, a smart move I'd say.

I have both a PS3 and an X-box 360 HD-DVD player, and I must say, the Blu-Ray picture does look a wee-bit sharper (but I'm unsure whether this is due to my HD-DVD player or my two professionally calibrated CRT Hi-Def televisions, one being a Sony XBR 960 34' 1080i widscreen, the other, an RCA F3810 38' 1080i widescreen; on my friends plasma screen, I could see no discernible difference). Putting compression issues aside, I am not just a tech aficionado, but also a film aficionado, who appreciates not just a quality presentation, but quality special features, as well. Because of this, until Sony and friends stop taking their customers for granted, I hope they wind up on the losing side of this war.

On a side note, I love both my Sony PS3 player AND my X-Box 360. I find Sony's hardware design superior to the X-box 360 in almost every way (it is a pretty machine, I must say!), yet due to X-box 360's superior menu user interface, terrific online multiplayer capabilities and fantastic library of games, the fact is I use my X-Box 360 about ten times more so than my PS3. In fact, maybe that can help explain why my X-box 360 has crapped out on me THREE times (F.U. Microsoft and your dirty tricks selling knowingly-shoddy hardware!). I wonder if the same will happen to my PS3, once I start actually start using it?

Now, If you slavish Sony fanboys don't like what I have to say, well, too bad! Not all of us live vicariously through multi-billion dollar conglomerates...!
Old 10-26-07, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Wow...did you register just to spew all that? If you can't formulate an argument without resorting to calling the other side pathetically rabid fanboys, you automatically lose.
Old 10-26-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wolf359
Wow...did you register just to spew all that? If you can't formulate an argument without resorting to calling the other side pathetically rabid fanboys, you automatically lose.
truedorian

Ban Date: October 2007?
Old 10-26-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I was going to say something witty here, but instead I'll just say: reported.
Old 10-26-07, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Lol...didn't even see the join date, only the new member part.
Old 10-26-07, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This will probably get locked anyway, but:

1. First of all, the reason why many early BDs lacked special features is because they were held back by Sony's decision to make the encoder MPEG-2 only, and the lack of dual-layer discs. Add PCM sound to that and there wasn't much room for extras. Sony at least has been including more extras since they went more to AVC and got 50GB discs going.

2. The reason Fox is holding back extras is Fox alone, not the format itself. It would almost certainly be the same way if Fox released on HD DVD.

3. While it's great that Warner and Universal, as studios (remember most Warner BDs have the extras as well) are retaining extras, that's not true of even all of the HD DVD exclusive studios. Paramount unfortunately looks to be going in a barebones direction lately, with their releases of Top Gun and the Jack Ryan Collection without extras.