Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Toshiba HD-A2 - Now $198 at Wal-Mart stores (possibly $160 AC at Circuit City)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Toshiba HD-A2 - Now $198 at Wal-Mart stores (possibly $160 AC at Circuit City)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-07, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Yeah the A2 is better than the A3 if your receiver doesn't have HDMI.
this is debatable (like anything else i suppose). some at AVS have reported issues with the downconverted DTS that are not present in the downconverted DD.
Old 10-30-07, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NitroJMS
Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but the A3 also has 300 and The Bourne Identity in the box.
this for any a3 sold anywhere?
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Yeah the A2 is better than the A3 if your receiver doesn't have HDMI.
my HTR donesnt have hdmi is it really better?

i've been waiting to get a next gen i'm siding with hddvd, i feel a3 at sears.com is best deal so far on BF is this best plan?
Old 10-30-07, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bravesmg
Just a heads up, I pricematched the A2 at Best Buy and their product replacement plan on items under $200 is only 20 bucks. I couldn't get them to take any coupons at CC, but the difference in warranties is $30 if you're interested in one.
Did you get the two free HD-DVDs they're offering with any Toshiba purchase, or is that available only online?

UPDATE: I called BB and spoke to someone who said they could honor the "Get 2 HD-DVDs immediately with any Toshiba HD player" I found online if I printed the page and brought it in. So I'm going to take in the CC price and try to price match it and get the two movies -- with the high price of movies, I've come to realize this is a better deal than the 10% I saved from CC using an AAA coupon. I'll undoubtedly run into some problems, but it's worth a shot.

Last edited by bookcase3; 10-30-07 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-30-07, 01:14 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For $170 for an A3, would you recommend it over an A2 at $198? From my limited reading, it appears the A2 might do a little bit better job with non-HDMI audio than the A3?
Old 10-30-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am a bit confused by all of the models, A2, A3, A20, A30, A35.

I have a 1080P TV with HDMI input, and an older (DD/DTS) receiver with 5.1 analog inputs and no HDMI.

I think the 1080p means I should look at the A20 or A30 models. I think the de-interlacer is a bit weak on my set, which is why I feed it 720p and let it scale.

I think it is the A30 that has analog audio out, which will allow me to use true HD sound, or will I still need a new receiver.
Old 10-30-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jonw9
I think it is the A30 that has analog audio out, which will allow me to use true HD sound, or will I still need a new receiver.
the A35 i believe is the only 3rd gen model w/ analog outs
Old 10-30-07, 01:55 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
For $170 for an A3, would you recommend it over an A2 at $198? From my limited reading, it appears the A2 might do a little bit better job with non-HDMI audio than the A3?
The problem with the $170 price is that we don't know what the availability will be. If you can easily walk into a Sears store at, say, 9am, and buy one, then the A3 price is probably better since it comes with 300 and Bourne Identity in the box, along with qualifying for the same 5 free deal.

As far as audio, 640kbps Dolby Digital is nearly equivalent to 1.5kbps DTS. This issue has been debated for years with DVD audio, and the argument has never been made that DTS is noticably better than DD.
Old 10-30-07, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I had to choose, I think I'd rather have the A2. I like the boxy looks of it over the glossy A3. Plus, it does convert DD+ tracks to DTS at 1.5 mbps, compared to the A3, which converts it at Dolby Digital at 640 kbps. I believe the A2 is the last model to do this, same as the A1 and XA1. And from what I've read on AVS, the reason for this is Dolby got pissed at Toshiba because their players were taking a "Dolby" encode and reproducing it as "DTS" audio. So that explanation makes perfect sense to me.
Old 10-30-07, 05:20 PM
Suspended

Thanks guys...my plan, if the consensus was the A3 would be better than the A2, was to buy the A3 at Sears now, and return it and re-buy it on Black Friday (go in later in the morning, once the crowds died down some).

Well, I stopped at Sears, and they didn't have any A3s in stock, but had a few A2s. So in need of some instant gratification (I've got Sopranos, Heroes, Transformers, and 300 sitting on my shelf, but no player to play them in), I got them to price match Circuit City's website. Sears had them for $280, so I got it for $198-10% of the difference, so it was like $200.XX out the door after tax. Maybe I could've done better if I waited a while (and I would've saved a couple bucks at Amazon), but I think it was still a good deal.
Old 10-30-07, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i went ahead today and picked up the A2 from amazon. this will look good in a couple of weeks on my new huge screen.
Old 10-31-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bookcase3
I called BB and spoke to someone who said they could honor the "Get 2 HD-DVDs immediately with any Toshiba HD player" I found online if I printed the page and brought it in. So I'm going to take in the CC price and try to price match it and get the two movies -- with the high price of movies, I've come to realize this is a better deal than the 10% I saved from CC using an AAA coupon. I'll undoubtedly run into some problems, but it's worth a shot.
I tried, but failed. In fact, the customer service woman turned NASTY when I presented the offer and told her what they told me when I called earlier. She stopped just short of calling me a thief and I had barely uttered a word. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm proud to have bought it at Circuit City.

On a happier note, I purchased my very first HD-DVD (not at BB): Batman Begins. I hear good things...
Old 10-31-07, 10:18 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Oh my...

Now screw Wal-Mart. Best Buy has the A2 for $179.99!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1158323325814
Old 10-31-07, 10:35 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Oh my...

Now screw Wal-Mart. Best Buy has the A2 for $179.99!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1158323325814
Nice, but the problem is it's sold out online, and only available in stores. No store within 200 miles of me has it in stock. Probably just lowered it to that in store to get rid of the few they do have left. It might be worth trying to price match it though.
Old 10-31-07, 10:37 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Nice, but the problem is it's sold out online, and only available in stores. No store within 200 miles of me has it in stock. Probably just lowered it to that in store to get rid of the few they do have left. It might be worth trying to price match it though.
If they have less then 3 units, it will show up as "Sold Out" online. Most Best Buys carry less then 3 of the A2s.

Edit:
Showing "Sold Out" at my local BB that I was at yesterday...there were 2 on the shelf and one open box for $249.99
Old 10-31-07, 10:48 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
If they have less then 3 units, it will show up as "Sold Out" online. Most Best Buys carry less then 3 of the A2s.

Edit:
Showing "Sold Out" at my local BB that I was at yesterday...there were 2 on the shelf and one open box for $249.99
Oh really? Good to know. Maybe I'll swing by later. Plus, you should still get the 2 free HD-DVDs of our choice.
Old 10-31-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh really? Good to know. Maybe I'll swing by later. Plus, you should still get the 2 free HD-DVDs of our choice.
Really? Is that still working with Box Sets?
Old 10-31-07, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by PerryD
The problem with the $170 price is that we don't know what the availability will be. If you can easily walk into a Sears store at, say, 9am, and buy one, then the A3 price is probably better since it comes with 300 and Bourne Identity in the box, along with qualifying for the same 5 free deal.

if i for sure knew i could get one at sears on BF is that the better deal? my HTR does not have hdmi or is best buy better on the a2 with 2 free movies? at 179.99
Old 10-31-07, 11:21 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by flashburn
Really? Is that still working with Box Sets?
No, just any 2 $34.99 and under...although they may take $34.99 off box sets, since that's what they did w/the 360 HD DVD player once they fixed it. BB.com says that the A2 is only available in select stores, but also says it's included in the deal - "Buy ANY Toshiba HD DVD player." http://www.bestbuy.com/site//olspage...&type=category

So I'd sure hope they'd honor it, even at this lower price.
Old 10-31-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orion1998_1
if i for sure knew i could get one at sears on BF is that the better deal? my HTR does not have hdmi or is best buy better on the a2 with 2 free movies? at 179.99
Posters over at avsforum have reported that Sears will price match the A3 on BF. You can buy it now for $299.99 and take your receipt to the store from 5 am to 12 noon on BF and they will refund the difference.
Old 10-31-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks to the OP who posted the new BB price. I tried to get them to price match the CC price last night and honor the two HD-DVDs free, but they refused. It actually worked out better: I went to my local BB today, got the lower price, AND the 2 free movies (it came up automatically -- they didn't have to price adjust the free movies, nor the new lower price). For $19.99, I went ahead and got the 2-year warranty -- $20 seems low risk for a relatively new product. Plus, using my BB Rewards Mastercard, I should get another $10 or so in rewards certificates.
Old 10-31-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BornAgainStar
lol found one at wallys on a pallette in Electronics. Took it to pay for it and they said it wasn't able to be sold when they scanned it. After some time, they finally said it wasn't to be sold until a particular date, which they couldn't share with me.
This happened to me last night at my local Walmart. They said they couldn't override it, and that the sale date is November 3rd. I told them they better take down the damn display, then.
Old 10-31-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rumor

Apparently Wal-mart is doing some pre Black friday stuff on this Friday. Some secret in store specials, they've posted one of the 5 items on their website with the rest being listed Thursday.

Now that's all fact. But the Rumor is that the A2 will be listed on here. And that it will be sold for $99. The rumor also goes on to say that some HD-DVD's will be $14.99.

Take this as a grain a salt, but we'll now for sure shortly.
Old 10-31-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kocheese99
Rumor

Apparently Wal-mart is doing some pre Black friday stuff on this Friday. Some secret in store specials, they've posted one of the 5 items on their website with the rest being listed Thursday.

Now that's all fact. But the Rumor is that the A2 will be listed on here. And that it will be sold for $99. The rumor also goes on to say that some HD-DVD's will be $14.99.

Take this as a grain a salt, but we'll now for sure shortly.
If this is in fact true, I will rebuy the A2 (sold one previously.) For $99, it is a steal, again, if true.

BUT, as I said previously, none of the Walmart near me have any HD's, let alone HD players. Again, they might just be waiting for Nov 3.
Old 10-31-07, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Wal-Mart just started selling HD-DVD's and Blu-Rays last week on an end cap. No players though. But they do have some HD-DVD's for $18.96.
Old 10-31-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If that rumor is true, will Amazon price match that? I just bought one there for $197

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.