Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Casino Royale and other "cut" blu-rays

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Casino Royale and other "cut" blu-rays

Old 10-20-07, 09:36 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Montreal
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casino Royale and other "cut" blu-rays

so I found out that the film has been edited for a PG-13 rating which is super lame, especially that it doesn't say this anywhere on the disc. had to order the australian release. are there any other butchered blu rays? i know i heard die hard 4 will also be cut down.
Old 10-20-07, 09:42 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 40,310
Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
The North American release of Casino Royale is the PG-13 cut - Theatrical, DVD, and High Def.

Die Hard 4 is also being released on Blu the same way it was released in NA theaters.

The "uncut" Casino Royale isn't available stateside yet in any format, but you can bet it will be before the next Bond comes out. I don't know why Fox decided to release DH4 Theatrical Cut only, though.

Those are the only two flicks I actually care about seeing Unrated, and yet the only two that aren't available. Lame.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-20-07 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-20-07, 10:21 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,299
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
The "uncut" Casino Royale differs from the U.S. release by 22 seconds, detailed here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29150

Kung-Fu Hustle is another title edited for North America that is available uncut on Blu-ray overseas.
Old 10-20-07, 11:15 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,983
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Ju|ian
so I found out that the film has been edited for a PG-13 rating which is super lame, especially that it doesn't say this anywhere on the disc. had to order the australian release. are there any other butchered blu rays? i know i heard die hard 4 will also be cut down.
since the american blu-ray disc is identical to the theatrical cut, i wouldn't exactly call that "butchered."

a more reasonable way to present your question might be, "are there any international blu-ray releases that are extended cuts not currently available in the U.S.?"
Old 10-20-07, 11:58 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
The Bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 54,902
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I could make an argument for Live Free or Die Hard being "cut" because it was intended to be an R-rated movie. For the most part, I regard director's / extended cuts as curios, as they often don't really have that much of an impact. There's exceptions, to be sure, but most "unrated" cuts aren't really too different and some actually make the movie worse (American Pie is one example).
Old 10-20-07, 11:50 PM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Montreal
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok, sorry guys, i totally misunderstood. i thought that the blu ray version was a cut version of the NA theatrical release. and it also seems that the cuts were pretty negligeable (40$ down the drain). So yes, it was not butchered at all, I can sleep easy now

Last edited by Ju|ian; 10-20-07 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-21-07, 02:38 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 541
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still, you would think the studios would release the extended cut of the film here in the U.S. if they made it available elsewhere especially if the difference is only negligible as is the case for Casino Royale. I doubt very much there would be many who would double-dip on the Blu-ray just for about 20 seconds.
Old 10-21-07, 02:58 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 6,830
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Casino Royale difference is not an extended cut or director's cut. It is simply different international cuts. Not the same thing.

Ex: UK usually has something different because they have different morality rules than the US. This might be more AC/N/V/L in one scene but less in another since their rules aren't stricter, just different.
Old 10-21-07, 10:03 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: St Louis, MO
Posts: 6,983
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
The Casino Royale difference is not an extended cut or director's cut. It is simply different international cuts. Not the same thing.

Ex: UK usually has something different because they have different morality rules than the US. This might be more AC/N/V/L in one scene but less in another since their rules aren't stricter, just different.
that's true. the UK cuts of bruce lee's movies leave out most, if not all of the nunchuck scenes, because of some weird rule. bruce lee without nunchucks - blasphemy!
Old 10-21-07, 11:39 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 214
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by consoleman
Still, you would think the studios would release the extended cut of the film here in the U.S. if they made it available elsewhere especially if the difference is only negligible as is the case for Casino Royale. I doubt very much there would be many who would double-dip on the Blu-ray just for about 20 seconds.
If many wouldn't double dip, why would you think they'd release it? Or do you think they should release it INSTEAD of the US theatrical version? Or add a disc?

Anyways this thread title is inaccurate and misleading, quotes or no quotes around "cut".
Old 10-22-07, 11:55 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wild Wonderful...
Posts: 1,750
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone else remember the whole Scream Japanese fiasco? what was that 12 seconds?
Old 10-22-07, 01:39 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: North Cacalaca
Posts: 8,489
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by True_Story1011
anyone else remember the whole Scream Japanese fiasco? what was that 12 seconds?
Yeah, I own that disc. Love the extra gore!
Old 10-22-07, 01:54 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
matome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: NY
Posts: 12,304
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I have the laser. Rose McGowan's head crushed at the top of the garage door
Old 10-22-07, 02:59 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wild Wonderful...
Posts: 1,750
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. BF guts shown hitting floor
2. Slow pace towards D.Barrymore hanging in tree
3. R.McGowen head in garage extension

I dont think I'm missing anything on that... ?
Old 10-22-07, 03:21 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
 
matome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: NY
Posts: 12,304
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There were other things, but the ones we listed were the ones I could remember. Thank. god for the IMDB

The US LaserDisc version contains the director's cut with ca. 20 seconds of restored footage that was originally cut to avoid being slapped with the NC-17 by the MPAA. It also has commentary by director Wes Craven and writer Kevin Williamson. In the commentary, Craven notes five places where his cut differs from the theatrical release:

Steve's guts are shown pouring out of him as Casey looks on. In the released version, the very last few moments of this are shown.

Casey hanging from the tree was time compressed in the film release (it is at normal speed here).

When Tatum meets her death by garage door, her head is shown, very briefly being flattened.

After Kenny the cameraman's throat is cut, he stares at the blood on his hand after touching his neck, and then looks up at the killer.

Billy clearly loses control as he delivers his final cuts to Stuart.

After Billy and Stuart have finished stabbing each other, there is a shot of Stu's hand dripping blood into a puddle, with Sydney's father looking on.
I believe the commentary track on the R-rated DVD was taken directly unedited from the unrated laserdisc, so Wes refers to the cuts that aren't even there on the DVD
Old 10-22-07, 04:17 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 541
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pricdews
If many wouldn't double dip, why would you think they'd release it? Or do you think they should release it INSTEAD of the US theatrical version? Or add a disc?

Anyways this thread title is inaccurate and misleading, quotes or no quotes around "cut".
Fortunately, I bought this movie on SD and have yet to buy it on Blu-ray (since I don't have a player yet but plan to in the near future). Given that the difference is only 20 seconds, I think Sony should have released the international extended version right off the bat instead of making this a double-dip when the 2nd movie comes out (if that's their plan). It would have been just that little extra Sony could have given to early Blu-ray adopters.
Old 10-22-07, 05:13 PM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 214
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by consoleman
Fortunately, I bought this movie on SD and have yet to buy it on Blu-ray (since I don't have a player yet but plan to in the near future). Given that the difference is only 20 seconds, I think Sony should have released the international extended version right off the bat instead of making this a double-dip when the 2nd movie comes out (if that's their plan). It would have been just that little extra Sony could have given to early Blu-ray adopters.
I'm not following you. Does the SD-DVD have the extra 20 seconds?

And I don't think my question was answered. Should they have released the extended version INSTEAD of the US version. Or in addition? If so, is it worth a second disc? I'd imagine there'd be more complaints if they didn't release the US version at all.

I very well may be off here, definitely no expert - but I still think this thread title is inaccurate and think it'd be changed already if it was about a HD-DVD release.
Old 10-23-07, 08:34 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 541
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I only say that's it's fortunate that I only have the SD in that I would gladly wait till the Extended version of the film hits Blu-ray before I buy it. My argument is only that if they had made this cut available in other countries, releasing it in the U.S. would have certainly been appreciated by many here who were early adopters of Blu-ray.

I am format-neutral when it comes to the format wars, but just hate it when studios are constantly double-dipping.

Last edited by consoleman; 10-23-07 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-28-08, 02:14 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was just about to order the uncut Blu-Ray of Casino Royale from ezydvd but according to the site the disc is 1080i rather than 1080p. Is this a misprint on the website or was the disc indeed encoded with a 1080i transfer?

Link: http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/792930
Old 03-28-08, 03:11 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 59,659
Received 195 Likes on 144 Posts
Shouldn't BD be able to handle branching much better than DVD negating all these silly double dips?

Oh and on topic:

Mr & Mrs. Smith: BD is the theatrical cut, not the Unrated version that is on DVD.
Narnia: TLTW&TW :BD is also the theatrical cut, not the extended version that is on DVD.

Old 03-28-08, 04:28 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,299
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
I was just about to order the uncut Blu-Ray of Casino Royale from ezydvd but according to the site the disc is 1080i rather than 1080p. Is this a misprint on the website or was the disc indeed encoded with a 1080i transfer?

Link: http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/792930
Misprint. The Australian Blu-ray is 1080p, just like every other theatrical film on the format.
Old 03-28-08, 04:45 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 7,337
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Misprint. The Australian Blu-ray is 1080p, just like every other theatrical film on the format.
I'm not sure what you meant by this. You seem to be implying that 1080i isn't supported by the format, which it is. It seems unlikely that anybody would release 1080i on purpose, but mistakes do happen.
Old 03-28-08, 10:34 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, Josh Z. I'm correct in assuming that the transfer on the Australian disc is identicle to that of the US disc, right?

I didn't get that from his post at all Peep. I took it to mean that thus far all theatrical releases transfered to BD are in 1080p instead of 1080i (or 720p).
Old 03-29-08, 07:35 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 36,850
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never mind, Josh Z. I just saw your review for the Australian disc. Can't wait to get it.
Old 03-29-08, 12:33 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53,612
Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
I'm not sure what you meant by this. You seem to be implying that 1080i isn't supported by the format, which it is. It seems unlikely that anybody would release 1080i on purpose, but mistakes do happen.
1080i and 1080p, on a disc, are the same thing. The only difference between the two is an "i" and a "p". So, you mean there isn't a reason why somebody would purposely replace a p for an i on purpose. What the data does if processed by the HD player, and going on to other processors such as in your HDTV, is another story of course, and then 1080i and 1080p are proper distinctions.

RocShemp,

I am not aware of ANY High-Def title released in the 720p format. If anyone can mention any, I'd be very curious.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-29-08 at 12:40 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.