Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

General Blu-ray news and discussion PART 3

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

General Blu-ray news and discussion PART 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-07, 12:48 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Aside from the rumor you posted what other insiders have confirmed that TL works on ALL machines?

Pro-B
Correct. I was responding to Burnts comments, not yours. Region coding was never a promised aspect of HD DVD. Its there, but it was never announced by the HD DVD group as a promised aspect. TL51 will not come to light if its not compatible with all players, at least thats what everyone has heard. I'm sorry, we shouldn't even be discussing this in a Blu-ray thread, but when someone who has no real knowledge of a format (or even owns it) posts FUD, someone should respond.
Old 10-22-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Correct. I was responding to Burnts comments, not yours. Region coding was never a promised aspect of HD DVD. Its there, but it was never announced by the HD DVD group as a promised aspect. TL51 will not come to light if its not compatible with all players, at least thats what everyone has heard. I'm sorry, we shouldn't even be discussing this in a Blu-ray thread, but when someone who has no real knowledge of a format (or even owns it) posts FUD, someone should respond.
Until someone like Amir can confirm it, I refuse to believe any info that rdjam has to offer. Amir has been very careful with his wording when it comes to the TL51 which leads me to believe that there are issues and it won't see the light of day.
Old 10-22-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Correct. I was responding to Burnts comments, not yours
It does not matter whether or not you were responding to my comment.This is a public forum and everyone has the right to read/question what is posted.

What does matter is that once again you stated several insiders. To me several implies at least three sources. I would like to know who these people are and read their confirmation(s).

Pro-B
Old 10-22-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
It does not matter whether or not you were responding to my comment.This is a public forum and everyone has the right to read/question what is posted.

What does matter is that once again you stated several insiders. To me several implies at least three sources. I would like to know who these people are and read their confirmation(s).

Pro-B
Why should he be subjected to any greater scrutiny that you are? I've never seen you back up any of your stuff with anything like this. Does that make you less reliable?
Old 10-22-07, 01:08 PM
Suspended

Pro-B
Again, I urge you or anyone to take a trip to AVS and read some threads. I, unlike some people, don't bookmark several pages a day so I can weeks later retort them quote for quote back. I read, and then post later and link to the most recent poster talking about it. As I posted before, its amazing how some people here can post "news" on apparent "insiders" as fact. You don't ever seem to back up you're facts unless they are from "insiders" who most of the time just review discs.

As I stated before, this thread is for Blu-ray, I'd hate to turn this into a HD vs. BR thread. I would urge some of the Pro-Blu guys to worry about their own format with 1.1 looming over their heads making all the current stand alones obsolete rather then some HD DVDTL51 disc that may or may not ever come out even though Disney, a Blu-ray only studio, voted for it. Backup plan?
Old 10-22-07, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Why should he be subjected to any greater scrutiny that you are? I've never seen you back up any of your stuff with anything like this. Does that make you less reliable?
Feel free to provide the statement where I have noted an insider's contribution. I will promptly provide you with the needed confirmation.

And to address your question directly: no one is to be subjected to a greater degree of scrutiny!

Pro-B
Old 10-22-07, 01:20 PM
Suspended

Feel free to provide the statement where I have noted an insider's contribution. I will promptly provide you with the needed confirmation.

And to address your question directly: no one is to be subjected to a greater degree of scrutiny!

Pro-B
I'm still waiting for that promised firmware update disc that allows all stand alones to be updated to Profile 1.1 from that paidgeek post a few months ago
Old 10-22-07, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Again, I urge you or anyone to take a trip to AVS and read some threads.
Not good enough. You should be able to back up your facts with a source. In this specific case I would like to know the origin of your claim since you present it as a fact.

I, unlike some people, don't bookmark several pages a day so I can weeks later retort them quote for quote back. I read, and then post later and link to the most recent poster talking about it.
Then you should reconsider your posting habits. I don't believe it is degrading or insulting to request a source of reference when crucial information is revealed. Once again, I ask that you provide relevant sources linking to the statements of the insiders you speak of.

As I posted before, its amazing how some people here can post "news" on apparent "insiders" as fact. You don't ever seem to back up you're facts unless they are from "insiders" who most of the time just review discs.
I am not some people. Feel free to question some people and argue about whatever you believe is a misleading information. The second fragment of your post is easily addressable!

As I stated before, this thread is for Blu-ray, I'd hate to turn this into a HD vs. BR thread.
You found TL worthy of recognition while addressing BR. I understand, and ask that you now follow up on your point(s).

I would urge some of the Pro-Blu guys to worry about their own format with 1.1 looming over their heads making all the current stand alones obsolete rather then some HD DVDTL51 disc that may or may not ever come out even though Disney, a Blu-ray only studio, voted for it. Backup plan?
You claim "neutrality" correct? Then you partially belong to the group you address above. Why do you distance yourself? There is information you have provided that now you must address with a proper statement. Please provide the links to the insiders' statements you announced earlier.

Thanks,
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 10-22-07 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-22-07, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well thats a nice confirmation! Can't refute a blank post
Old 10-22-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,891 Likes on 1,242 Posts
Pro-B: You start with a QUOTE and end with a /QUOTE (preceded by a slash). If you don't close your QUOTEs, you're going to get a blank post.
Old 10-22-07, 01:37 PM
Suspended

I'm shocked this has not been posted yet (maybe it is somewhere?)
Ok here is the deal, this will be for the upcoming $399 PS3 (hitting shelves 11/02/07), and the deal only applies if you buy at the Sony Style Stores or Sony Style Website. The new $399 PS3 will come with the Free Spiderman3 BD movie, in addition to the 5 Free by mail BD movies, plus you can rack up enough Sony Style Card points to get another BD movie or two.

To take advantage of this offer, you will need to apply for the Sony Style store card which will qualify you for the $100 instant Discount and 12 months No Interest on all purchases $299 and up.

Direct Promo Link:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...tegoryId=16167

Additional Details:
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...msId=sony_card

Sony Card Benefits:

* 12 months no interest on purchases of $299 or more at SonyStyle2
* Full Platinum Visa® benefits
* 5 Sony Rewards Points per $1 spent at SonyStyle.com, and Sony Style® stores3 (that equals 2000 rewards points = plenty for an additional Free BD movie or two)
* Exclusive members-only deals on Sony products

Get a $100 card credit after your first qualifying purchase of $299 or more

Don't settle for an ordinary credit card. Enjoy more points, more savings, more prizes and more fun with Sony Card. Get instant approval and a $100 card credit after your first qualifying Sony Card purchase of $299 or more!

Find more online using the links provided above or visiting your local Sony Style Store (New Accounts Only)
For $300 and no interest for 12 months it makes it a no brainer for the best Blu-ray player on the market. I'll be grabbing one of these when they come out at my local Sony Style store.
Old 10-22-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Same shit different day in this thread. this really is the "Format War disguised as a BD discussion" thread, or the "this side of the line HD bashing thread." There is rarely any real "news" here, just a bunch of (mostly) speculative tidbits posted in a way to irk others. Want real news about BD hardware and releases etc? Look in the seperate threads. This thread is nothing but a pimping vehicle for those that just have this "need" to convert everyone.

The HD DVD version is not much better.

Personally, I think this thread should be locked.
Old 10-22-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 259 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Until someone like Amir can confirm it, I refuse to believe any info that rdjam has to offer. Amir has been very careful with his wording when it comes to the TL51 which leads me to believe that there are issues and it won't see the light of day.
Amir has transitioned to another business area within Microsoft, FYI.
Old 10-22-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm shocked this has not been posted yet (maybe it is somewhere?)
Yeah it was posted.
Old 10-22-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Old 10-22-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts
Has anyone seen the 60GB PS3 for less than $500?

I have a lot of PS2 games and a 5 year old PS2 deck. Sure I could buy the 40GB and spend an extra $130 if my PS2 ever dies, but I'd love to have all my PS2 and PS3 stuff play through one input on my display.

I'd almost certainly pull the trigger on a $399 60GB for the BC.
Old 10-22-07, 03:01 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bunkaroo

I have a lot of PS2 games and a 5 year old PS2 deck. Sure I could buy the 40GB and spend an extra $130 if my PS2 ever dies, but I'd love to have all my PS2 and PS3 stuff play through one input on my display.

Nope, $499 is the MSRP and it seems with the recent 80GB price drop, that the 60GB will stay $499 until it sells out. Sony is no longer making them and what you see on the shelves is whats left. I think that 'Sony Style' deal works on the 60GB one (if they still stock them) and thats going to be you're best shot. If not, GameStop is selling the 20GB PS3 (100% BC) for $380 brand new. No WiFi...but it will play PS2 games without issues.
Old 10-22-07, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Harry Lime
$299 PS3 w/ 7 Free BD Movies

Ok here is the deal, this will be for the upcoming $399 PS3 (hitting shelves 11/02/07), and the deal only applies if you buy at the Sony Style Stores or Sony Style Website. The new $399 PS3 will come with the Free Spiderman3 BD movie, in addition to the 5 Free by mail BD movies, plus you can rack up enough Sony Style Card points to get another BD movie or two.
This is indeed the path I am taking to get a PS3, but it is a bit misleading. 2000 Sony Style points will not get you any free Blu-Rays, since they start at 2900 points +
Old 10-22-07, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo

This may or may not sweeten the deal for you, but Best Buy is offering a free Game (Lair or Heavenly Sword) or extra Controller with the 60 GB PS3. That's a $60 Bonus...

UPDATE: Walmart is offering a choice of 8 different games for the free game PLUS a free Blue-Ray remote with the 60 GB

Last edited by Copper Blue; 10-22-07 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-22-07, 03:05 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Copper Blue
This is indeed the path I am taking to get a PS3, but it is a bit misleading. 2000 Sony Style points will not get you any free Blu-Rays, since they start at 2900 points +
Where can you see a list of where you use your 'points'?
Old 10-22-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts
Nope, $499 is the MSRP and it seems with the recent 80GB price drop, that the 60GB will stay $499 until it sells out. Sony is no longer making them and what you see on the shelves is whats left. I think that 'Sony Style' deal works on the 60GB one (if they still stock them) and thats going to be you're best shot. If not, GameStop is selling the 20GB PS3 (100% BC) for $380 brand new. No WiFi...but it will play PS2 games without issues.
Thanks - that's what I thought.

I need the WiFi since my HT is in the basement and my router is on the 2nd floor. And let me say that makes updating my HD-A20 over the wire REALLY interesting. I had to buy a 100' cable LOL. At least now the ISO's are available right away.

I don't even see the 60GB listed at SonyStyle.com. Not sure if I have any local stores near me.
Old 10-22-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Has anyone that has watched Meet the Robinsons comment on it? I've heard the PQ on it is quite excellent and am leaning towards buying it but just wanted to get some thoughts first.
I would rent it first if you haven't seen the movie. PQ may be great but I buy movies based on how much I like them, not how great they look or sound.

I took my 3 year old to see this movie in the theater and even he was bored (which is saying something for him). As an adult, it was truly awful. Bad story and just plain out dull. Yeah, it looks great but if you want to twiddle your thumbs and think about all the other great movies you could be watching while looking at a great picture, be my guest.

Rent it.
Old 10-22-07, 03:33 PM

Where can you see a list of where you use your 'points'?
http://www.sonyrewards.com/en/redeem/index/4/
Old 10-22-07, 03:59 PM
Suspended

Again, I urge you or anyone to take a trip to AVS and read some threads. I, unlike some people, don't bookmark several pages a day so I can weeks later retort them quote for quote back. I read, and then post later and link to the most recent poster talking about it. As I posted before, its amazing how some people here can post "news" on apparent "insiders" as fact. You don't ever seem to back up you're facts unless they are from "insiders" who most of the time just review discs.

As I stated before, this thread is for Blu-ray, I'd hate to turn this into a HD vs. BR thread. I would urge some of the Pro-Blu guys to worry about their own format with 1.1 looming over their heads making all the current stand alones obsolete rather then some HD DVDTL51 disc that may or may not ever come out even though Disney, a Blu-ray only studio, voted for it. Backup plan?
So you wanna give us the names or keep ignoring the question? Oh and nice change of subject with the sonystyle re-post.
Old 10-22-07, 04:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Harry Lime
So you wanna give us the names or keep ignoring the question? Oh and nice change of subject with the sonystyle re-post.
Again, just like I stated above, feel free to wander over to AVS and research for yourself. If others don't have to back up their wild statements, I won't either.

Not sure why you even care, you don't own an HD DVD player (or at least your posts don't reflect any interest in one).

Last edited by Gizmo; 10-22-07 at 05:02 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.