Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray or HD DVD - need to decide asap!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-07, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 500 dvds in my collection, and I'm going to make the switch to one of the high def formats. I really don't care about the tech stuff, because I've seen both and they both look/feel the same. I just don't want to get stuck buying 50 new discs for a format that gets abandoned.

I've been checking a site eProductWars daily, and though blu-ray is still in the lead, it definitely doesn't feel like who is going to win is close to being decided. I also look at the top sellers for hd-dvd, and I'm psyched about transformers, but I don't want a relatively small thing to overly influence my decision.

So my question is - help!

Joe
Old 10-16-07, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like you're looking for an answer as to which is the safer buy, aka, which one will probably survive.

There's an HD thread in here already, and even an HD forum.

BUT, it all boils down to what you want to spend. If money may be a deciding factor, then HD-DVD, if not, then it's all up in the air. The next thing to consider if money isn't the factor, is basically what titles you may want on one side over the other, based on what's already released and what may come in the future. Nobody can answer those things for you, but you.
Old 10-16-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Go with the format that has the most movies you enjoy. Neither side is going to back down any time soon.
Old 10-16-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Feel the same?
Old 10-16-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, I consider both to be on equal footing at this point and love them both... check out what's out on HD and Blu-ray and look at the holiday schedule and pick one - then enjoy movies and don't worry 'who wins'...regardless you'll always have some good looking HD movies.
Old 10-16-07, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Your chances of buying 50 discs for a format that will be abandoned is equally good for both.
Old 10-16-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Blu-ray.
Old 10-16-07, 11:20 AM
Banned

In my opinion if you can afford the price purchase the combo unit that plays both HD-DVD and the Blue Rays. That way you can play both of them, also many movies are only on one format, so this way you can buy the movies you want. I do believe the combo units are under $1000 now.
Old 10-16-07, 11:34 AM
Suspended

Read this essay - if you have time of course: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/articl...ray-hd-dvd.htm

Last edited by baracine; 10-16-07 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-16-07, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I would pick HD DVD simply because the hardware is cheaper. You can get a very good player for $200 or spend more if you want a better one. In time, you will want to get a BD player as well.

I would NOT get a combo player. As of right now, there is no "true" combo player that is future-proof, that is, that plays HD DVD and BD to spec.

As far as BD players, my understanding is that the PS3 is still the best option. A $400 version of the machine will be released in November.

For $600, you can play both formats. That's pretty good in my book.
Old 10-16-07, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
For $600, you can play both formats. That's pretty good in my book.
Considering I can play all dvds from all regions on my Philips player (which cost me $50), that price is actually a huge block to my upgrading to HD formats. That's a lot of money. Plus, I don't have room for two separate HD players, my cable box, my tivo and my wii.
Old 10-16-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Blu Ray. You could also go to Best Buy and get credit/6m financing and get both.
Old 10-16-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The second gen LG combo player and Samsung's combo player are both being touted as fully compliant with all capabilities of the HD DVD and Blu-ray formats. Of course, neither one is out RIGHT NOW, but both are due within a few weeks. Of course until they actually street there is a possibility of more delays. Crutchfield's latest catalog has the Samsung Combo player listed for $799.

If you haven't already bought a player in one format or the other, you could wait a little longer, read some reviews on the combo units and see what you think. You know more combo units are coming later as well.

HD-DVD players wilth excellent upscaling and what, 9 free movies? for $200 are a pretty safe bet though.
Old 10-16-07, 04:53 PM

my best advice as someone who personally bought in to the hi-def formats way too soon is to just wait it out for a winner. Not a format that is currently winning in sales but I mean the other format is totally dead and gone and one of the formats starts to become WAY more mainstream than it currently is.

I beg you just to wait. Save your money and just buy sdvd movies for another couple years. i wish I hadn't bought into hi-def yet. The whole thing is a mess and very frustrating.
Old 10-16-07, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^while rational, I have to say that's terrible advice and won't help the situation at all... I can never go back to SD....
Old 10-16-07, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
^while rational, I have to say that's terrible advice and won't help the situation at all... I can never go back to SD....
That means there there will be an enormous amount of movies you will never be able to view then. Lots of movies being released on DVD now, will never see an HD release. Heck, look at how may VHS movies that hasn't made it to DVD!
Old 10-16-07, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
The second gen LG combo player and Samsung's combo player are both being touted as fully compliant with all capabilities of the HD DVD and Blu-ray formats. Of course, neither one is out RIGHT NOW, but both are due within a few weeks.
according to a few different people at AVS, the LG BH200 has been spotted at some Best Buys this week.
Old 10-16-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I decided that when I get into the HD game, I'm going with both formats. I'm going to buy the A2 or A3 HD-DVD player for $200-300 and then get a PS3 for $500 and have both formats, that is unless one of the combo players will be less than $800 (I've seen them around $1000).
Old 10-16-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Start with HD-DVD player. Within a few months you will end up picking up a Blu-Ray player.
Old 10-16-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts
My honest answer is that you're not gonna get an accurate view of the hi-def format war by asking this question here or really anywhere on the internet. Going by the polls conducted in the Hi-Def section of this site you're going to get a heavily biased answer in favor of HD-DVD. There are simply more hardcore supporters of HD-DVD in this particular forum.

Many will attempt to sway you to one side or the other but remember that it's in the interest of people already psychologically or financially invested in one format to push that format over the other. I myself have decided to commit to Blu-ray exclusively because I believe it to be the superior format for high definition content. The market will not support two dualing formats in the long run and the people that buy into the losing format will have buyer's remorse. Read all you can about the advantages and disadvantages of each format and be leary of spin from both sides.
Old 10-16-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Your chances of buying 50 discs for a format that will be abandoned is equally good for both.
This is the correct answer. Anyone who tries to "crystal ball" this answer is guessing at best.

All hyperbole aside, both formats produce virtually identical picture/sound quality. Both have nearly an identical number of titles released... and nearly an identical number of titles exclusive to the format.

HD DVD players are cheaper. Blu-ray is currently selling slightly better (roughly a 60/40 ratio).

Everything else is spin. No one can predict which format will "win". It's a crapshoot at this point and entirely possible that neither wins and they both find a niche of their own. There's unfortunately no easy answer to your question. I'd say to go with HD DVD, but that's simply because (a) it has a much cheaper entry level cost and (b) my own personally biases and preferences for that format.
Old 10-16-07, 06:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
Go with the format that has the most movies you enjoy. Neither side is going to back down any time soon.
Yeah, so fuck the "format war". "The format that has the most movies you enjoy" will always be (drumroll please) ...STANDARD DVD.
Old 10-16-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting interpretation of what I said. I didn't mean it that way, but I agree completely!
Old 10-16-07, 10:13 PM

I would go with Blu-Ray, but I think the best wasy to decide might be to spend the time looking at your movie collection. Break down the movies into studios that are exclusive to one format. You might see a trend as to what studio's movies you purchase the most of. Then again, you might not. But if you DO see a trend, it might make the decision to go to one format easier because you'll know the majority of movies you like are in/will be in that format.
Old 10-16-07, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm in the same boat, OP. I have decided to get a Sony S300 Blu Ray. Why? Well, have the backing of some major studios that I like, as in LGF, Anchor Bay, DISNEY, and I seem to think those are exclusive and having just Uni and Paramount isn't that big of a deal.

Both are offering plenty of free movies and worse comes to pass, there's always a dual player or trading them in and buying into the other.

But I don't think that will be an option. I firmly believe BR will succeed due to numerous factors like studios, options, and titles, I'm going to be happy to buy a Hi Def player.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.