Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney's The Black Hole

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In searching for the soundtrack by John Barry, I was led to Wikipedia which states the soundtrack is available on iTunes. So, needless to say, I finally have a clean copy of the entire soundtrack! I still have my pristine LP from 1979, but the sound is much improved on the new downloads.

Anyway, in looking at the Wikipedia page, it indicates that in 2007 thier was to be a Blu-ray release of the film. I have checked as many websites as I could think of, and not a hint of it anywhere else on the net. Does anyone have a clue if this is coming soon on Blu-ray? Possibly in 2008?

This is one of my all-time favorite sci-fi films (I am very much in the minority here - I know) and would love to see this gorgeous looking movie get the Blu-ray treatment.
Old 10-11-07, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I haven't heard anything either. If Anchor Bay/Starz still had the rights it would probably come sooner, but Disney distributes it now, so it could take a while. I'm just saying that because they've been slow to release catalog titles at all, and have yet to release anything made before the 90s.

Then again, apparently the Anchor Bay disc isn't OOP (at least it's still available on Amazon), so maybe they could still do a version.
Old 10-11-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
Good to know that it is on iTunes. This is a soundtrack that I have waited forever to see a CD release of but it has never happened. I bought an LP and was going to just transfer it to CD but this would make it much easier.
Old 10-11-07, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Good to know that it is on iTunes. This is a soundtrack that I have waited forever to see a CD release of but it has never happened. I bought an LP and was going to just transfer it to CD but this would make it much easier.
I was all set to do the exact same thing: transfer the LP to CD myself, then put it on the computer and remix and edit. I friend just gave me a mint condition turntable to use too, then I saw the Wikipedia page. You can rest assured that the iTunes download is the EXACT LP note for note.
Old 10-11-07, 02:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If I recall, isn't the Anchor Bay DVD still a crappy barebones disc? Or did they do a special edition a la The Man Who Fell To Earth?
Old 10-11-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I don't believe there was ever a special edition from Anchor Bay. I've some actually prefer the non-anamorphic AB disc to the anamorphic Disney disc.

I would buy this on Blu-Ray in a heartbeat. Awesome score.

"In.....through.....and beyond!"
Old 10-11-07, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI if you have Xbox Live you can rent this in HD from the XBL Marketplace. Sweet!
Old 10-12-07, 11:22 PM
AOD

Originally Posted by andy1992
In searching for the soundtrack by John Barry, I was led to Wikipedia which states the soundtrack is available on iTunes. So, needless to say, I finally have a clean copy of the entire soundtrack! I still have my pristine LP from 1979, but the sound is much improved on the new downloads.

Anyway, in looking at the Wikipedia page, it indicates that in 2007 thier was to be a Blu-ray release of the film. I have checked as many websites as I could think of, and not a hint of it anywhere else on the net. Does anyone have a clue if this is coming soon on Blu-ray? Possibly in 2008?

This is one of my all-time favorite sci-fi films (I am very much in the minority here - I know) and would love to see this gorgeous looking movie get the Blu-ray treatment.

Keep in mind that Wikipedia has input from users. It may have just been someones joke or mistake. That may be why you cannot find any info.
Old 11-04-07, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

andy1992...I went to iTunes and I can't find the soundtrack to The Black Hole there. Am I overlooking it? What did you search for to find it? I looked under "Black Hole" and "John Barry" and it does not come up.
Old 11-04-07, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...94337&s=143441

here's the URL link to the album on iTunes guys
Old 11-04-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks JayDerek. That did it. Wonder why I couldn't find it searching the normal way? And what is "iTunes guys?"

Also, this kind of release should be a mainstay of iTunes. Find out of print music and sell it online. That way you don't have to make a copy from an old pop & hiss album and there is no manufacturing costs to the studio to put out a cd that only a select market wants. Both the studio gets money and the consumer gets the product. And iTunes gets a cut. Everyone wins!!!

(What am I saying? This is the music industry we are talking about. Make everyone happy...that'll never happen).
Old 11-04-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
And what is "iTunes guys?"
missed punctuation by me...it should've been "...iTunes, guys"
Old 11-09-07, 10:42 PM

Thanks JayDerek. That did it. Wonder why I couldn't find it searching the normal way? And what is "iTunes guys?"

Also, this kind of release should be a mainstay of iTunes. Find out of print music and sell it online. That way you don't have to make a copy from an old pop & hiss album and there is no manufacturing costs to the studio to put out a cd that only a select market wants. Both the studio gets money and the consumer gets the product. And iTunes gets a cut. Everyone wins!!!

(What am I saying? This is the music industry we are talking about. Make everyone happy...that'll never happen).
Glad you found it! Sorry - I haven't checked the site in a few days. But still, glad you were able to get a digital copy of the soundtrack.
Old 11-10-07, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad you found it! Sorry - I haven't checked the site in a few days. But still, glad you were able to get a digital copy of the soundtrack.
Yeah, I figured out what was the problem (yet I still am not sure how to fix it). My iTunes keeps going to the Danish iTunes store! Why...I have no idea???? It is driving me crazy and I can't seem to find the fix (but i am sure it is something easy that I am overlooking).

Now if only I can get a digital copy of the soundtrack to Popeye and The Pirate Movie my childhood soundtracks might be complete. Those and I am sure plenty others have never been released on cd. This would be a great niche for iTunes.

Funny that The Black Hole was the very first digital recording yet it never existed on a cd. I read a little history of it and they said that the original digital recording specs do not jive with the digital specs that eventually became the standard. Pretty interesting.
Old 11-19-07, 08:48 AM

http://www.mania.com/53343.html

Here's the article relating to the release on itunes and the problem with the original digital recording.
Old 11-19-07, 10:33 AM

Yeah, I figured out what was the problem (yet I still am not sure how to fix it). My iTunes keeps going to the Danish iTunes store! Why...I have no idea???? It is driving me crazy and I can't seem to find the fix (but i am sure it is something easy that I am overlooking).

Now if only I can get a digital copy of the soundtrack to Popeye and The Pirate Movie my childhood soundtracks might be complete. Those and I am sure plenty others have never been released on cd. This would be a great niche for iTunes.

Funny that The Black Hole was the very first digital recording yet it never existed on a cd. I read a little history of it and they said that the original digital recording specs do not jive with the digital specs that eventually became the standard. Pretty interesting.
Ok, your starting to freak me out - I have been trying to get my hands on both "Popeye" and "The Pirate Movie" as well! LOL. A few years back I was able to download quite a few cuts from "The Pirate Movie", especially the two tracks i wanted the most. I have the original LP of "Popeye" in mint condition as well, but would prefer to have a digital transfer in stead of hooking up a turn table, etc. etc. Keeping my fingers crossed on both of the titles, and i check on a very regular basis. I like your idea about itunes - this really could be a market they should cater to. Also, as a heads up the out of print "Poltergeist" soundtrack (which runs about $50.00 or higher used) is also availabe on itunes for $9.99 for the full soundtrack.

I did read the same thing about "The Black Hole". Such a shame. I thought that when Disney did the 16x9 release they would follow suit with a brand new soundtrack including the entire score. Sadly, nothing came. Also, as a sidebar, I too think the original AB release had a better picture - too bad it is not anamorphic. But if this title gets released on Blu-ray, then who cares.
Old 11-19-07, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Disney has always treated this film (and lots of the live action stuff from the late 70s/early 80s) like a bastard stepchild.

I wouldn't expect a blu-ray release any time soon... although that would be amazing if they did.
Old 11-19-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, your starting to freak me out - I have been trying to get my hands on both "Popeye" and "The Pirate Movie" as well! LOL. A few years back I was able to download quite a few cuts from "The Pirate Movie", especially the two tracks i wanted the most. I have the original LP of "Popeye" in mint condition as well, but would prefer to have a digital transfer in stead of hooking up a turn table, etc. etc. Keeping my fingers crossed on both of the titles, and i check on a very regular basis. I like your idea about itunes - this really could be a market they should cater to. Also, as a heads up the out of print "Poltergeist" soundtrack (which runs about $50.00 or higher used) is also availabe on itunes for $9.99 for the full soundtrack.

I did read the same thing about "The Black Hole". Such a shame. I thought that when Disney did the 16x9 release they would follow suit with a brand new soundtrack including the entire score. Sadly, nothing came. Also, as a sidebar, I too think the original AB release had a better picture - too bad it is not anamorphic. But if this title gets released on Blu-ray, then who cares.
Funny, I bought a mint condition Pirate Movie soundtrack years ago (it's a double LP!) and have had my Popeye soundtrack in mint condition since I was a kid. Several years ago I put together a "best of" of both soundtracks to fit on one cd and made it from my LPs. Believe it or not they sound pretty good. I have 10 tracks from Popeye (original had 12 tracks) & 13 tracks from The Pirate Movie (original had 20).

Let me know and I will burn you a copy of my "labor of nostalgic love." Just send me a PM or email.

Sorry to derail the topic. Thanks for letting me know about Poltergeist. That is another soundtrack that has been on my list forever but I kept forgetting to pick it up.
Old 11-19-07, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by SCarino21
http://www.mania.com/53343.html

Here's the article relating to the release on itunes and the problem with the original digital recording.
Excellent - thank you!