Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD A1 HELP!! Player is "frozen"

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got a used one on ebay. I think the seller is trustworthy based on communicating with him and the time it took him to ship the item (less than 24 hours after I paid).

Plugged it in and hooked the cables up. Turned on the player and I see "Welcome" on the HD DVD player screen. Pressed the eject button and the tray did not pop out. Tried pressing any button and nothing worked. I don't see anything on the tv screen not even a Toshiba sign or welcome screen. Tried turning it off and it also didn't work. I had to finally press the standby/off button for 10 seconds in order for the player to turn off.

Tried the process again and same result. Any idea what's going on? Thanks.
Old 10-04-07, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Did you try just turning it on and letting it "boot" for about 30 seconds? I just received my first HD player and it doesn't turn on the same way as a standard dvd player does. If you try and push buttons while it is loading then that may cause the system to not function properly. I just received an HD-A30 model today and found out that it does take some time for them to come on. Try and turn it on and give it a minute or so.
Old 10-04-07, 11:49 PM
Banned

Put it in the microwave and press DEFROST.
Old 10-05-07, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Did you try just turning it on and letting it "boot" for about 30 seconds? I just received my first HD player and it doesn't turn on the same way as a standard dvd player does. If you try and push buttons while it is loading then that may cause the system to not function properly. I just received an HD-A30 model today and found out that it does take some time for them to come on. Try and turn it on and give it a minute or so.
Yeah I left it on for a couple of minutes and still not working. I think this is the same issue as the A20 firm upgrade. Some people at AVS are having the same issues:

Firmware Lock Up

I'll just ask for a refund since it seems like it needs to be repaired to fix the problem.
Old 10-05-07, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm in the same boat with my HD A20, and this is the second time it's happened in a week. I got the HD-A20 last month and it froze last week after the firmware update (it shut down after the update completed and when it turned back on it stayed on the welcome screen). Contacted Amazon and they shipped me a replacement and now that one has frozen too (actually on the Universal HD DVD logo on the Heroes season one disc two. Worse, my Heroes HD disc two is stuck inside and I have no idea how to get it out.

Anyone have any idea how to get the disc out? This is really getting me irritated. I bought the HD-A20 (had the Hd-A1 previously) to get 1080P and lately it has been driving me nuts.
Old 10-05-07, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if the HD-A1 has the same setup as the A20 but for me, I pulled down the cover of the disc tray. Inside was a little button on the bottom right. I used the tip of the pen to open the tray. Once it is opened, it didn't close automatically. I had to push the tray manually to close.

I tried this process to see if it reads a disk. It seems like once it's in that mode, the player just dies.
Old 10-05-07, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know if the HD-A1 has the same setup as the A20 but for me, I pulled down the cover of the disc tray. Inside was a little button on the bottom right. I used the tip of the pen to open the tray. Once it is opened, it didn't close automatically. I had to push the tray manually to close.

I tried this process to see if it reads a disk. It doesn't. It seems like once it's in that mode, the player just dies.