Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about the HD-DVD players and free discs at Best Buy.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Does anyone know what free discs you get with the purchase of the players offered at Best Buy? You get 2 free discs and 5 more by email with the purchase of the HD-A2 model (299.00) and 4 free discs instantly with 5 more by mail with the purchase of the HD-A30 model (399.00). Can anyone help me out? I'm seriously considering going format neutral today. Also, does the HD player need to be connected by ethernet at all times or only time to time to download new updates? Sorry for the ignorance but just trying to find out.

I'm considering buying the HD-A30 model.
Old 09-30-07, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that the two you get in the box are 300 and The Bourne Identity. Seems that the only restrictions for the other two freebies in store is that it cannot be a box set or a TV show.

Also, for those considering going format neutral or picking up a HD-A30 today, there is a 10% off coupon that ends today.

I found one at at this link: http://www.mommysavesbig.com/printab...s/best-buy.pdf
Old 09-30-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SkipKassidy
I know that the two you get in the box are 300 and The Bourne Identity. Seems that the only restrictions for the other two freebies in store is that it cannot be a box set or a TV show.

Also, for those considering going format neutral or picking up a HD-A30 today, there is a 10% off coupon that ends today.

I found one at at this link: http://www.mommysavesbig.com/printab...s/best-buy.pdf
I hope they allow that coupon but could easily deny it by saying that it can't be combined with other offers. I just might give it a shot. Thanks
Old 09-30-07, 01:41 PM

10% coupon did not work for me in combination with the HD DVD deal this week. But I had $250 in reward credits so it didn't bother me too much.

Still, I don't know but I hope I'm not suffering from buyer's remorse. I know it's a crap shoot when it comes to the HD DVD vs. Blu-ray situation, but I'm planning to adopt both formats.

Another thing, one guy in the store (a customer) was trying to tell me on Blu-ray's audio capabilities and how it is superior to HD-DVD.

Somebody, calm my nerves.
Old 09-30-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

10% coupon did not work for me in combination with the HD DVD deal this week. But I had $250 in reward credits so it didn't bother me too much.

Still, I don't know but I hope I'm not suffering from buyer's remorse. I know it's a crap shoot when it comes to the HD DVD vs. Blu-ray situation, but I'm planning to adopt both formats.

Another thing, one guy in the store (a customer) was trying to tell me on Blu-ray's audio capabilities and how it is superior to HD-DVD.

Well, I bought my PS3 first so I'm not feeling the same way that you do. However, I am still considering picking up this format as well. It's just money isn't it?
Old 09-30-07, 02:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I'll let an audio expert here answer the question more detailed, but no, they are the same. Some argue HD DVD is better...some Blu-ray. It all sounds exactly the same. Unless you have a receiver that can decode either to the max, it won't matter at all.
Old 09-30-07, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

You're fine.

99% of the employees at Best Buy, Circuit City, and wherever else aren't aware of the underlying technology of both formats (I'm still learning myself) and are merely repeating what company memos are telling them or what their best friend's friend overheard at last night's drunken tailgate party.

Again, you're just fine. At this point, anyone who says HD DVD or Blu-ray is better than the other, is simply an idiot.
Old 09-30-07, 03:38 PM

Where does it say the A30 is packed with 300 and The Bourne Identity? And where does it say you get 4 free instant at BB with the A30? I only see if reference 2 free.
Old 09-30-07, 05:51 PM

Taken from the Toshiba press release regarding the third generation of HD DVD players:

In addition, in order to allow consumers to enjoy the HD DVD experience right out of the box, Toshiba is offering consumers free movies with the purchase of their third generation players. With Toshiba’s new bundle promotion, consumers will take home the highly acclaimed HD DVDs “300” from Warner Home Video and “The Bourne Identity” from Universal Studios Home Entertainment.
"Now is an exciting time to buy an HD DVD player, with a blockbuster title like ‘The Bourne Identity’ in the box at retail," said Craig Kornblau, President, Universal Studios Home Entertainment.
Old 09-30-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am now format neutral. I went ahead and bought an HD-A30 model today at Best Buy, but it wasn't without a headache. First off not one of the three Best Buys in my area had any actual machines in stock. Only one store had two of them this morning when they opened but were gone quickly. How are you going to advertise something and not have it in stock? They also told me that there weren't any in transit but that I could order one, which I finally did. After some time deliberating I went ahead and did a "Customers Fulfillment" order where they will ship the player directly to my house. They told me that the two free movies would be included in the box. They also let me select two movies from the shelf. I grabbed Knocked Up and tried for the Matrix Trilogy (but to no avail). So I ended up grabbing Hot Fuzz as my second free title. The cool thing is that I was able to use the 10% off coupon for an extra 40 dollars off the price. So I will end up with 9 movies and the HD-A30 player for about 390 dollars tax included. So I will basically double my HD catalogue in one day. The only hassle I see is having to switch my ethernet connection back and forth between the HD player and my PS3. I guess you only need to have it hooked up to the HD player when you need to update or when you want to see online accessible features.

What are some of yuor opinions on the HD-A30 player? Thanks!!!
Old 09-30-07, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
The HD-A30 should be a great addition to your home theater. Good deal on the price and movies, too.
Old 09-30-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I'll let an audio expert here answer the question more detailed, but no, they are the same. Some argue HD DVD is better...some Blu-ray. It all sounds exactly the same. Unless you have a receiver that can decode either to the max, it won't matter at all.
There are several choices for audio. None of them were made by Sony, Toshiba, the DVD Forum, or any other of the people behind the disc technology.

Dolby. DTS. Old Dolby. Old DTS. Stereo. Mono. Generic PCM surround.

Have the blue shirt explain how any of the above can be altered by being encoded into a BD or HDDVD.

(ok, the surround PCM derives from CD PCM, which was worked on greatly by Sony over 20 years ago, not enough to mean anything)