Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Opinions on HD-DVD Players...

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, it hasn't happened yet, but it looks like I might have to return my HD-XA2 and exchange it for a different HD-DVD player. Which is a shame, because I really enjoyed the various functions it offered, and thought it was a terrific up-converting player for SD discs. Could it be that I just happened to purchase a brand-new lemon, and should try a new XA2? Or is there another player that works better? Any opinions?
Old 09-20-07, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
What's not working correctly?
Old 09-20-07, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
What's not working correctly?
Basically, it's not working at all. When I first received the player in July, I had no problems with it, until a week before I got my new HDTV, and then it began to freeze up whenever I tried to power it on. It would say "Welcome" on the LCD screen, but would go no further. I kept having to unplug it, plug it back in, then power back on, which worked for about two weeks. When I called Toshiba the first time to send it in, they stated it was a problem with the hard drive in the player, and that they might need to replace the drive. I sent it in, but when it came back, it still had the same problem right out of the box. I've tried everything I can think of: different HDMI cables (thinking a faulty cable might be causing a bad connection), component cables (to see if the issue might be HDMI-related), a firmware update (which seemed to do nothing), and endless checking of my receiver's settings (Onkyo TX-SR605) to make sure that there wasn't anything that might be throwing it off-kilter. I'm new to the HD arena, but I've done just about all the troubleshooting I can think of. I think it's just a bad player, but Toshiba doesn't seem to think so, as they're having me send it back in for yet another repair. Thank God I have an extended warranty through another company. Any ideas?
Old 09-20-07, 06:58 PM

Wait until they send it back for the 2nd time, then make your decision.

We may have to consider this as colateral damage in the High Definition War. You fought well Hauntnut, buying new players at this stage of the high def war is a brave move, your willing to make sacfices for the good of the war, you deserve a model of high definition honor for this. I don't have your strength to make the gamble you did, hell we'll all be lucky if we had half the strength and bravery you do.

This may not answer your question directly, but it will give you confidence incase you have to write off that player as a casuality of the war.

Last edited by SeanValen; 09-20-07 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-20-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
It sounds like just a bad unit.

Unfortunately, in my experience with sending electronics of all types back to the manufacturers for "servicing", they generally receive the item, open the box, place it on a shelf for 2-3 months, then put it another box and ship it back to you otherwise untouched.

If you still have the option of exchanging it for another unit where you bought it, I think you'll have better luck that way.

Last edited by Josh Z; 09-21-07 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-20-07, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
It sounds like just a bad unit.

Unfortunately, in my experience with sending electronics of all types back to the manufacturers for "servicing", they general receive the item, open the box, place it on a shelf for 2-3 months, then put it another box and ship it back to you otherwise untouched.

If you still have the option of exchanging it for another unit where you bought it, I think you'll have better luck that way.
Well, I guess I'll be using that extended warranty, then. The seller I purchased it from on eBay, despite the fact that it was brand-new, doesn't accept returns that have been repaired. Toshiba actually has a pretty quick turnaround time for repairs; it takes 3-4 days for them to receive it via Fedex Ground, after which time they take 3 days to repair the unit and ship it back 2-day Fedex. I'm wondering if maybe the 3-day turnaround might be the reason why it doesn't appear to have been worked on.

I'm just trying not to lose faith, because after seeing what Hi-Def is capable of as a format, I'm sold. I'm trying to keep in mind that the formats are still fairly new, and there are still kinks that need to be worked out. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that by this time next week, I'm watching "Elizabeth" in HD like I wanted to this week.

Last edited by hauntnut; 09-20-07 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-20-07, 10:11 PM

I bought my HD-XA2 at Best Buy and it works great. I think you just got a lemon and are having some bad luck. I know everyone has something in there consumer history where they just had rotten luck with a unit. I refuse to shop at Circuit City b/c of all the bad luck I have had with purchases from them and there many failed attempts to correct them. I hope it comes back working the next time around. Good luck.
Old 09-21-07, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I'd recommend demanding a new unit from Toshiba. Tell them you don't deserve such problems and you'd like to have something that can play HD DVDs without issues.
Old 09-21-07, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I've read a lot of discouraging things about Toshiba's customer service with regards to people trying to get defective players taken care of. That's a shame becaus eI've been a long time Toshiba customer.

My players have been OK so far but have not seen heavy use yet (maybe 40 discs total).

I have to say at this point if I ever have to buy another HD DVD player, it will likely be the Onkyo.
Old 09-21-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I've read a lot of discouraging things about Toshiba's customer service with regards to people trying to get defective players taken care of. That's a shame becaus eI've been a long time Toshiba customer.
this is the main reason i've decided i'm going to pay a little more and buy my hd dvd player at costco. if i ever have a problem, i can just return it and avoid dealing with the manufacturer.