Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The potential collapse of the hi-def disc...

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The potential collapse of the hi-def disc...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-07, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
What amazes me is kids these days don't seem to give a shit about quality either. They would just as well listen to a downgraded mp3 thru shitty ear phones than a DVD-A with 5.1 sound thru an awesome sound system. They would just as well watch a movie with crappy sound & picture on their cell phone/ipod than watch it on a 65" HDTV.

I just don't get it. The packaging thing, maybe...but the loss of quality???
It's not about just loss of quality; it's about a relative loss of quality in exchange for convenience, much like how cassettes won over LPs and 8-tracks because they were far more convenient, despite the lower quality. Same thing with VHS over LD. Hell, DVD exchanges compressed video and sound for the convenience of a CD-sized disc, and many people were happy with lossy DD over PCM for the advantage of 5.1 sound.
Old 09-13-07, 11:50 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
... cassettes won over LPs and 8-tracks because they were far more convenient, despite the lower quality.
LPs had higher quality, but 8-tracks sucked from day one. Hell, they would routinely put track changes in the middle of a song. I still remember:

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul
There walks a lady we ..........
*Ka-CHunk*........................
.......................all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold

</ annual 8-track rant>
Old 09-13-07, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by videophile
LPs had higher quality, but 8-tracks sucked from day one. Hell, they would routinely put track changes in the middle of a song. I still remember:

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul
There walks a lady we ..........
*Ka-CHunk*........................
.......................all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold

</ annual 8-track rant>

...boy, does that bring back memories...
Old 09-14-07, 01:15 AM

It's not about just loss of quality; it's about a relative loss of quality in exchange for convenience, much like how cassettes won over LPs and 8-tracks because they were far more convenient, despite the lower quality. Same thing with VHS over LD. Hell, DVD exchanges compressed video and sound for the convenience of a CD-sized disc, and many people were happy with lossy DD over PCM for the advantage of 5.1 sound.

true. My old laserdisc owning friend kept saying how much better the PCM tracks were on LD
Old 09-14-07, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Agree with all of that but also have to add we shouldn't forget how convenient it was to get MP3s without paying for anything for such a long time, and let's not kid anyone, many are still not paying today!