DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Anyone here have Verizon FIOS ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/507982-anyone-here-have-verizon-fios.html)

JZ1276 08-02-07 01:18 AM

Anyone here have Verizon FIOS ?

not sure if this is the right section so please move if necessary.

Any help is appreciated. I was approached by a FIOS salesman at a convienence store who tried to sell me on it. After having my upload speeds capped by Optimum, I decided to switch over to something else so he caught me at the right time. Told him to come by and an hour later he did. He didnt seem to be able to answer some of my questions though, so I told him to call me in a few days so I can think about it....

Basically, the way I'm setup right now with Cablevision, is that I have the line going straight into my HDTV (no cable box) with a built in HD tuner. I'm able to get all the main channels in HD (cbs, nbc, abd, fox, etc.) I Do not want a cable box being that I use a DVD recorder on a timer to record alot of shows. I dont feel like paying extra for a DVR either...

my first questions is, what channels will be available with FIOS without their box? (having it setup the same way it is now, line straight into my TV)? This line will be split from the upstairs line (not that it should make a difference).

Secondly, I was thinking about getting the cheaper internet package. There were 2. One was around 35-40 , and the other around 50 (the $40 one being slower of course). The sales rep told me even the slower, cheaper package is has speeds faster than Optimum online. Is this true?

thanks in advance for any help. I'm in NY btw

vcuram 08-02-07 01:27 AM

I'd also be interested in the answers to your questions. Verizon is coming August 8 to hook me up with Fios. I can't wait to get rid of Comcast!

Also, for anyone that already has Fios, are you happy with it?

Fandango 08-02-07 02:37 AM

You'll have to make sure you can even get FIOS tv in your town. There are franchise agreements on a town by town basis for LI. The tv service is not available everywhere. I have a friend who is in Queens who has the FIOS internet service but cannot get the tv service.

nemein 08-02-07 05:32 AM

One thing to keep in mind for FIOS (if you go w/ the whole package, if you just go w/ the TV I doubt they do this) is a lot of people are repoting that as part of the install process Verizon cuts the copper phone wires going to your house. This means you/the people you sell your house to will be stuck w/ FIOS. http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070709/veriz...pper.html?.v=2

Bezerker 08-02-07 07:53 AM

I've had Fios TV & Internet for at least a year now. The internet & TV service are great. Their slower speed is a 7/2, and higher is a 15/2. For whatever reason on the 15/2 im getting 20/4 speeds (not getting charged any more, so im not gonna complain to them). Road runner was the same price for 1/3 of the speed, so it was an easy decision.

As for their TV service, i've got an HD box (no dvr) and the picture is great, never have any problems with freezing or bad picture (other than the 480p standard def channels). At $34.95 a month its cheaper than Time Warner once again. They charge $9.95 a month extra for the HD box, or $12.95 for an HD-DVR. They also have another box for $19.95 that can share whatever you are watching on the DVR with any other cablebox in the house.

I recommend Fios to everyone i know who is fed up with Time Warner (i had a really fun time going to return the cable boxes/cancel service - especially when they asked why i was switching to Fios).

FantasticVSDoom 08-02-07 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Fandango
You'll have to make sure you can even get FIOS tv in your town. There are franchise agreements on a town by town basis for LI. The tv service is not available everywhere. I have a friend who is in Queens who has the FIOS internet service but cannot get the tv service.

Where at in Queens? Im in Astoria and they are still telling me I can't get either yet. And how does he like the internet service? My TWC Roadrunner is atrocious and I'm so ready to get rid of them I cant stand it.

GreenEggs248 08-02-07 11:22 AM

We have had FIOS for almost a year and will recommend it to anyone that lives in their supported areas.

We get our TV and Internet through FIOS. I have two HD DVR set top boxes.

The install was pretty painless and our installer did a very clean install.

Any issues that we have had were resolved in a timely manner.

JZ1276 08-02-07 12:39 PM

thanks for everyones opinion...
what about my questions though?

BBEANLPHIE 08-02-07 12:54 PM

Dam I want to get setup with FIOS. I live in flushing and its still not available here

steak-too 08-02-07 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by JZ1276
not sure if this is the right section so please move if necessary.

Any help is appreciated. I was approached by a FIOS salesman at a convienence store who tried to sell me on it. After having my upload speeds capped by Optimum, I decided to switch over to something else so he caught me at the right time. Told him to come by and an hour later he did. He didnt seem to be able to answer some of my questions though, so I told him to call me in a few days so I can think about it....

Basically, the way I'm setup right now with Cablevision, is that I have the line going straight into my HDTV (no cable box) with a built in HD tuner. I'm able to get all the main channels in HD (cbs, nbc, abd, fox, etc.) I Do not want a cable box being that I use a DVD recorder on a timer to record alot of shows. I dont feel like paying extra for a DVR either...

my first questions is, what channels will be available with FIOS without their box? (having it setup the same way it is now, line straight into my TV)? This line will be split from the upstairs line (not that it should make a difference).

Secondly, I was thinking about getting the cheaper internet package. There were 2. One was around 35-40 , and the other around 50 (the $40 one being slower of course). The sales rep told me even the slower, cheaper package is has speeds faster than Optimum online. Is this true?

thanks in advance for any help. I'm in NY btw

Fios in Northern VA passes HD and lower end channels through without a cable box. The HD channels are only the locals (none of other HD channels are passed like NFL, NG-HD, HGTV-HD, etc). If your TV has a cable card slot you can go that route and get everything except VOD and PPV and Verizon's on screen TV Guide.

As for the ISP speed, I know nothing about Optimum but the lowest speed you can get with Fios internet is 5mb down x 2mb up.

Hope this helps!

JZ1276 08-02-07 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by steak-too
Fios in Northern VA passes HD and lower end channels through without a cable box. The HD channels are only the locals (none of other HD channels are passed like NFL, NG-HD, HGTV-HD, etc). If your TV has a cable card slot you can go that route and get everything except VOD and PPV and Verizon's on screen TV Guide.

As for the ISP speed, I know nothing about Optimum but the lowest speed you can get with Fios internet is 5mb down x 2mb up.

Hope this helps!

It does help, thanks. Right now the channels that I get without a box that i watch the most are TBS, AMC, Bravo, A & E, VH1, MTV, etc. Will I still be able to get these channels without a box from FIOS ? I dont have a cable card slot

FantasticVSDoom 08-02-07 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by BBEANLPHIE
Dam I want to get setup with FIOS. I live in flushing and its still not available here

I was told October/November for Astoria. Where I work at in Kew Gardens, they have a huge sign that says FIOS is here.

RockStrongo 08-02-07 10:11 PM

Im building a townhome in the DFW area and luckily its in the FIOS area. I called and they offer internet, FIOS TV and phone. Im gonna get them all for the package price of $119/mo.

Cant wait til Nov 1! Thats when we are moving in!

Ive heard that the FIOS hdtv is the best quality due to no loss of resolution by compression (like what the Sat companies are doing due to bandwidth limitations).

JZ1276 08-02-07 10:31 PM

well i just checked my up/down speeds and they are way faster with than what FIOS offers for $40. Maybe i'll just stick with the TV service.

Fandango 08-02-07 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Where at in Queens? Im in Astoria and they are still telling me I can't get either yet. And how does he like the internet service? My TWC Roadrunner is atrocious and I'm so ready to get rid of them I cant stand it.

He lives in Bayside. The internet service is great, I was watching live TV from his slingbox with no skipping.

raven56706 08-03-07 07:13 AM

i want FIOS badly but the verizon heads are leaving my town (Jersey City) last on their list

steak-too 08-03-07 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by JZ1276
It does help, thanks. Right now the channels that I get without a box that i watch the most are TBS, AMC, Bravo, A & E, VH1, MTV, etc. Will I still be able to get these channels without a box from FIOS ? I dont have a cable card slot

I don't get those without the cable box on my LG with QAM tuner.

Ocelot 08-03-07 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Bezerker
I've had Fios TV & Internet for at least a year now. The internet & TV service are great. Their slower speed is a 7/2, and higher is a 15/2. For whatever reason on the 15/2 im getting 20/4 speeds (not getting charged any more, so im not gonna complain to them). Road runner was the same price for 1/3 of the speed, so it was an easy decision.

As for their TV service, i've got an HD box (no dvr) and the picture is great, never have any problems with freezing or bad picture (other than the 480p standard def channels). At $34.95 a month its cheaper than Time Warner once again. They charge $9.95 a month extra for the HD box, or $12.95 for an HD-DVR. They also have another box for $19.95 that can share whatever you are watching on the DVR with any other cablebox in the house.

I recommend Fios to everyone i know who is fed up with Time Warner (i had a really fun time going to return the cable boxes/cancel service - especially when they asked why i was switching to Fios).

That sounds pretty good, how much are you paying for all of the above?

Bezerker 08-03-07 06:59 PM

$44.95/mo for the internet (15/2 connection) & $65 a month for the cable with all the movie channels/hd box.

Bright House was the same price for the internet (for 1/3rd the speed) and $95 for the cable (no HD, all movie channels).

The quality overall is a lot higher on the Fios compared to BH's digital cable. It still connects through coaxial, but its backed up by an internet connection for each cable box, so it looks a lot better, loads quicker, etc (each box doesnt need an internet connection, theres a hub that they attach to the provided network terminal)

pdutta2000 08-05-07 09:36 PM

Been on FIOS for about a week now and it is miles above my Comcast/Vonage combo. Not only is it cheaper (all in about $123/month vs $160/month with comcast/vonage) but the quality is much better. The most noticeable difference is that all the non-HD channels look great on my tv. Not sure how they do it...but they look great.

As for the phone line thing...you can specifically request that Verizon does not pull the copper during installation. You have to ask for it.

One HUGE downside...Golf channel is extra. Should be part of the standard package and seems like a dumb move.

Ocelot 08-06-07 10:27 AM

It's $15 more than my current DSL subscription... As for the TV package is $25 more than my Dish (but i got no movie channels and no HD, so for $25 extra, the price is pretty good).

The only draw back with HD is that there's no Close Caption (or am i wrong?). Not exactly an important feature, but very handy when watching TV late at night w/o cranking up the vloume...

Superman07 08-06-07 10:37 AM

The following may help:

http://www22.verizon.com/about/community/nj/ New Jersey. There's a link to a .pdf file detailing where they are focusing their FTTP efforts for August.

vcuram 08-10-07 05:00 PM

Ugh. Anyone thinking about signing up for FIOS should call and refrain from ordering online. I received a call the day they were to install FIOS at my house saying that they've been having trouble with their website and the last three digits of CCs are being dropped. So basically, they didn't come out to install it and now I have to wait until August 29 for them to come back. Not a good start with Verizon.

Bezerker 08-10-07 07:34 PM

Yea, dont bother with the website, usually you find a lot more perks (gift cards, cash back, free months, etc) in ads or B&M retailers.

Ocelot 08-13-07 11:18 AM

i swear i did a search for this thread using multiple methods (including searching under my user name) and it just vanished w/o a trace... and now it surfaces... can somebody tell me wtf is going on?