HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Anyone here have Verizon FIOS ?

Old 04-15-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by seltzer77
I'm in Morris County in NJ and LOVE Fios. So much better than Cablevision was. The multi-room dvd is fantastic...
Where abouts in Morris County? I am in Morris Plains and there service is terrible (I don't have it, but a lot of neighbors do).
Old 04-15-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wish I had Verizon FIOS near me.

Instead, I have AT&T U-Verse which uses fiber to the node (FTTN), not fiber to the house (FTTH), like FIOS. In other words, the digital signal is transferred to the copper wire for the final leg of the trip to my house.

The internet service is pretty good. I get about 2.8 download speed, and .9 upload. However, the HDTV signal is pretty dodgy, with a lot of compression noise and such. Often times, when there is a single, solid color in part of the image....grass, walls, etc, the solid image sort of.....pulsates.

It is certainly nowhere near the quality of an HD DVD or a Blu-ray.
Old 04-15-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm thinking of taking the Fios plunge myself. I keep getting flyers in the mail for the $99 package of phone/TV/internet.

I don't think I've seen any B&M ads, but I'll look this week.

anyone actually pay $100 for the 3 services??? i signed up for that, but the default internet speed was too slow so i had to upgrade. still, i guess comcast had very fast speeds where i live b/c even at my current speed of 15mbps, it's slower than comcast was. i ended up paying $150/month.

tv quality is ok - hd stations are not that many but, espn is good. sometimes, i get pixelization, but i guess that's normal.

frankly, i'm kind of unimpressed b/c the commercials make it sound like it's so great. it's ok, imo.

but, i hate comcast.
--

also, note that if you use a home security service, they may not work w/ internet phone lines. check before you switch.
Old 04-15-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by young
tv quality is ok - hd stations are not that many but, espn is good. sometimes, i get pixelization, but i guess that's normal.
Do you have FIOS tv or their directv package?

Remember that pixelation can be the broadcast and not necessarily Verizon. I see pixelation occasionally even on OTA feeds.

Basically, FIOS tv is the best quality signal (sd and hd) that I have experienced. Ive had Dish Network (terrible compression!!) and Time Warner Cable (pretty good HD quality!) in the past.
Old 04-15-08, 12:47 PM

AT&T does FTTP/FTTH in some areas, unfortunately the bandwidth limit on the highest package is still 6megs. They replace the NID with an ONT, all that for the same bandwidth
Old 04-15-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I must be an outlier. I have cable and my parents have FTTP. My web downloads are faster AND my TV signal is better/clearer.

Their menu system is better although the remote is sometimes slow (as is the cable one).
Old 04-17-08, 01:47 AM

If you had to choose between ATT U-verse and TW Cable for internet, which one would you go with? Right now I'm not TW cable and the net connection is pretty good but it seems it gets somewhat dodgy, especially on live streaming media, where there are hiccups and chokes.
Old 08-29-08, 09:26 PM

Digging this up but just got this in NYC. Not too impressed, seems just like Time Warner but maybe even worse at points. Sure there's more channels and such but no mind blowing picture.
Old 08-30-08, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picture quality was much better on Fios before they changed from the Microsoft software to their own in house guide. Hopefully they will get the kinks out of it...
Old 09-09-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anybody have any insight into Fios' practices? I was poking around online and noticed that their NY channel listing includes SciFi HD and Speed HD, however in the Washington Metro area we get neither!! Talk about disgruntled since those are two channels that are at the top of my HD list. I thought local cable and DTV were the only options to get those, but now I find Fios is regionalized. Argh!
Old 09-09-08, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We just got a bunch of new HD channels a couple weeks ago. so maybe they havent been rolled out in DC yet...
Old 09-10-08, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just got Fios a couple of weeks ago, it is really great.

The compression on the HD channels from Cablevision was killing me.

No compression with FIOS, so far so good!
Old 11-19-08, 07:56 AM

Well the doorbell rang last night and there was a smiling Verizon salesman informing me that they had just finished wiring the neighborhood last week. We talked (he said he couldn't come in the house for some reason) and he quoted me an introductory 12 month price of about $90 per month for internet access and TV service including their HD package. Currently I'm paying about $80 per month for 'net access and what Cox calls their expanded basic TV package which does not include HD. I'm wondering if I should switch from Cox to Verizon.

I really don't have any major complaints with Cox 'net service. I have only one computer with a hard-wired connection. Yes, the download speeds can be a little slow but I'm not doing a ton of down- or uploading so it's a minimal inconvenience. For security reasons I prefer a hard-wired connections; the salesman was pitching the advantages of the Fios wireless services but he wasn't sure if you HAD to use the wireless.

I bought a 40" 1080p HDTV last summer and of course most standard def TV broadcasts now look awful. I couldn't justify the expense of upgrading to the Cox HD service based on the limited amount of time I spend watch TV (as opposed to DVDs) but for just an extra $10 per month it seems like a decent deal.

So I guess my question is: Should I make the switch? How difficult would the installation be for for my pretty basic set-up? Are people who have already made the switch happy with their decision?
Old 11-19-08, 03:51 PM

I have it and switched from TWC about a year ago. I LOVE it.

The customer service is spotty, but recently has been a lot better for me.

As for the quality, NO complaints on FIOS TV. Great picture/sound. Great channel selection (since they recently added a lot of new HD channels).

The internet is great too, but my only complaint is the router they provide (Actiontec). Its kinda crappy and has caused me a couple small issues, but nothing too major. The problem is that you HAVE to use it if you have FIOS TV.

Also, I suggest that you get Tivo versus their set top box, but Im speaking from things Ive read over experience. I have Tivo series 3 and an Tivo HD, so I havent experienced their stb. I love my tivos.
Old 11-19-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Anybody have any insight into Fios' practices? I was poking around online and noticed that their NY channel listing includes SciFi HD and Speed HD, however in the Washington Metro area we get neither!! Talk about disgruntled since those are two channels that are at the top of my HD list. I thought local cable and DTV were the only options to get those, but now I find Fios is regionalized. Argh!
Cox has both in HD...not sure why you switched. I haven't really had any issue with Cox except one, which arguably was my own fault.
Old 11-20-08, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by RockStrongo View Post
The internet is great too, but my only complaint is the router they provide (Actiontec). Its kinda crappy and has caused me a couple small issues, but nothing too major. The problem is that you HAVE to use it if you have FIOS TV.
Actually, you don't. You can use your own router, and hook up the ActionTec to one of your own router's ports and use it purely as a bridge for the coax going to the FiOS set-top box. They obviously won't support you in figuring out how to do this, but I've got mine set up this way and working beautifully.
Old 11-20-08, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by dplatt View Post
Actually, you don't. You can use your own router, and hook up the ActionTec to one of your own router's ports and use it purely as a bridge for the coax going to the FiOS set-top box. They obviously won't support you in figuring out how to do this, but I've got mine set up this way and working beautifully.
Yep, I did exactly that. The problem with that was I continued to have issues with it (a couple of complete outages) and when I called tech support, like you said, they didnt support it.
Old 11-20-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Anybody have any insight into Fios' practices? I was poking around online and noticed that their NY channel listing includes SciFi HD and Speed HD, however in the Washington Metro area we get neither!!
I'm sure they include in their packages what the regional network can support. The NYC network is a little newer, so it probably has a bit better capacity at the moment. On the flipside, the NYC FiOS network is so new that I still can't get it at my apartment, and TWC doesn't carry SciFi HD or Speed HD.