DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Got my 5 Toshiba Rebate HD-DVDs Today (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/506878-got-my-5-toshiba-rebate-hd-dvds-today.html)

kenbuzz 07-19-07 06:42 PM

Got my 5 Toshiba Rebate HD-DVDs Today

Those of you still waiting for your Toshiba rebated HD-DVDs, I just got mine today. They came in a non-descript white bubble mailer, the return address is from "Archway Marketing Services" of Rockford, MN, and the label was stamped "Media Mail".

Here's the original "which ones should I get" thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=501513

I mailed rebate form in on 5/31/07. It took exactly seven weeks.

I got Apollo 13, Casablanca, Tomb Raider, Blazing Saddles, and We Were Soldiers.

CapRockBrewingCo. 07-19-07 06:48 PM

Cool. I should be getting mine in the next week or so then.

DeanoBKN 07-19-07 07:01 PM

Nice.

kenbuzz 07-19-07 07:05 PM

That's the good news. Now for the bad.... my bubble mailer had a small split down one of the seams. None of the HD-DVDs were missing, 'cause the split was only 2-3" long, but if Archway Marketing is using a LOT of these mailers, someone is going to get an empty bubble mailer delivered to them.

I hope I'm wrong, honest I do, but I'd bet good money that someone gets screwed on this.

Overpar 07-19-07 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Those of you still waiting for your Toshiba rebated HD-DVDs, I just got mine today. They came in a non-descript white bubble mailer, the return address is from "Archway Marketing Services" of Rockford, MN, and the label was stamped "Media Mail".

Here's the original "which ones should I get" thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=501513

I got Apollo 13, Casablanca, Tomb Raider, Blazing Saddles, and We Were Soldiers.

Dang! I sent mine in at the end of April. I called a couple weeks ago and I was told it was processing. I'm glad someone got theirs. I ordered different DVDs than you did. Maybe that has something to do with it. Seems to me, if you can't deliver within the 8-10 weeks promised, then they shouldn't have had the offer in the first place.

ASAPadam 07-19-07 08:07 PM

Got mine yesterday too (took about 10 weeks), in good condition (except for the long cutout gouges on three of them -- oh well, whattaya want for free?)

mazzystar 07-19-07 08:21 PM

I called yesterday, was told that they were in the ready stage, called week before that and was told the same thing. Hope they arrive soon! Lookin foward to seeing Casablanca.

Paul Arnette 07-20-07 08:17 AM

I'm happy to hear you got your HD DVDs. However, I don't understand how people who sent theirs in far earlier than you (3/12 here personally) are still waiting. I certainly hope that the BDA's similar promotion is handled better. Toshiba has certainly not done anything to make their work cut-out for them that's for sure.

Mikael79 07-20-07 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
I'm happy to hear you got your HD DVDs. However, I don't understand how people who sent theirs in far earlier than you (3/12 here personally) are still waiting. I certainly hope that the BDA's similar promotion is handled better. Toshiba has certainly not done anything to make their work cut-out for them that's for sure.

I'd call them and start applying some pressure. You did make copies, right? If they give you the chance - fax in the copies, and have them process off of that, being that you've been waiting so long.

DVDKrayzie 07-20-07 10:07 AM

I just got mine, sent away in FEBRUARY I believe. They also came individually in those stupid brown mailers that when you open all the dust inside goes flying everywhere. It took so long that I had already purchased two of the movies already because I had forgotten which ones I ordered so I threw em up on ebay (rundown and tomb raider).

Also, I only got 3. I can't remember if that's what the promotion was at the time or not

Qui Gon Jim 07-20-07 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Arnette

I'm still waiting for my 3 free from December.

Damed 07-20-07 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by DVDKrayzie
Also, I only got 3. I can't remember if that's what the promotion was at the time or not

I believe it was.

REL77 07-20-07 01:18 PM

I got mine as well.. Probably about 12weeks I think... One of them had a long gash in the back top part, but its ok, still free.... Was a nice suprise

Paul Arnette 07-20-07 02:00 PM

I'd call them and start applying some pressure. You did make copies, right? If they give you the chance - fax in the copies, and have them process off of that, being that you've been waiting so long.
Oh, I've called them twice now. The most recent time was the middle of this week. Apparently, mine have now finished processing and are ready to ship. I still don't expect to see them for another couple weeks.

It just irks me that they didn't process these in order. But it sounds like there are people who have been waiting long than I have, and if I were still waiting for some from the 3 Free promotion, I would've had a conniption by now. :)

oldchuckles 07-20-07 02:40 PM

I received my rebate HD-DVDs this week after seven weeks of waiting. There were three problems (some already mentioned in this thread):

1. The HD-DVDs were sent in a flimsy bubble-wrap envelope (not a box) via media mail. If a larger box falls on your envelope, you are screwed!

2. Two of the HD-DVDs (The Rundown and Seabiscuit) were severely damaged on the back of the DVD case with a three-to-four inch cut-out gash that looked like it was done with a chainsaw! Both the case (and the plastic wrap) and movie slipcover were spoiled. However, the disc itself was OK. If you tried to sell these HD-DVDs to a pawn shop or to DVD Planet, they would be rejected because of the appearance of the cases!

3. One of my choices for the 5-freebies was Casablanca. Unfortunately, I was shipped Constantine by mistake! I am still contemplating what to do about this shipment. While the HD-DVDs were free, I would not have made my Toshiba purchase without the free HD-DVDs promotion. I just don't understand why it was necessary to "chainsaw" the backs of the two cited DVDs described above. Sheesh!

Jericho 07-20-07 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by oldchuckles
3. One of the choices for my 5-freebies was Casablanca. Unfortunately, I was shipped Constantine by mistake! I am still contemplating what to do about this shipment. While the HD-DVDs were free, I would not have made my purchase without the HD-DVD promotion. I just don't understand why it was necessary to "chainsaw" the backs of the two cited DVDs described above. Sheesh!

So you don't return them to a store. Someone might have gotten a little agressive in trying to scorch out the UPC

Paul Arnette 07-20-07 03:13 PM

Someone might have gotten a little agressive in trying to scorch out the UPC
I guess now we now why it has taken them so long to get our HD DVDs to us. Apparently, mutilating the hell out of them takes time. :rolleyes:

oldchuckles 07-20-07 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jericho
So you don't return them to a store. Someone might have gotten a little agressive in trying to scorch out the UPC

Makes sense what you say, but why only two titles (The Rundown and Seabiscuit) and not the others? Is there something special about the two titles that were "chainsawed"?

kenbuzz 07-20-07 07:41 PM

Sounds like you got "cut outs" to me. What you've described sounds to me like those notches they used to put in album covers when the albums were on clearance to prevent them from being resold again later.

cdmac2007 07-20-07 07:58 PM

The Phone Number

Does anyone have the phone number to call?
I sent mine in mid-April and nothing has arrived.

Thanks!
Cliff

oldchuckles 07-20-07 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Sounds like you got "cut outs" to me. What you've described sounds to me like those notches they used to put in album covers when the albums were on clearance to prevent them from being resold again later.

Yeah, that's probably right. But there is a big difference between a "cut-out" on an album cover which is made from paper and an HD-DVD case which is made from polypropylene which is practically indestructible (and may actually have a life of 10,000 years before it degrades)! I wonder who the Toshiba "genius" is that is "chainsawing" the back-side of these expensive HD-DVDs!

oldchuckles 07-20-07 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by cdmac2007
Does anyone have the phone number to call?
I sent mine in mid-April and nothing has arrived.

Thanks!
Cliff

Try calling 800-405-7520. The person I spoke to was named Kristin (sp?). This outfit works a night shift so you may be able to contact them tonight!

cdmac2007 07-20-07 10:38 PM

Try calling 800-405-7520. The person I spoke to was named Kristin (sp?). This outfit works a night shift so you may be able to contact them tonight!

Thanks!!

Jericho 07-20-07 10:43 PM

Makes sense what you say, but why only two titles (The Rundown and Seabiscuit) and not the others? Is there something special about the two titles that were "chainsawed"?

They're Universal titles. It seems all the Universal titles are like this. For whatever reason Paramount and WB didn't do anything this time.

Pillowhead 07-21-07 04:06 AM

Got my 5 titles today.

Sent the form in on 5/23/07 and recieved 7/20/07.

I ordered: Casablanca, Sky Captain, U2, Perfect Storm, and Apollo 13. Apollo 13 was gouged to shit though.

Paul Arnette 07-22-07 02:48 PM

They're Universal titles. It seems all the Universal titles are like this. For whatever reason Paramount and WB didn't do anything this time.
Great. :rolleyes: I really wish I would have known this before I selected three Universal titles out of five. Although I have a feeling I know why Universal is doing this and the others aren't. Universal being the only HD DVD exclusive studio involved in the promotion has made their titles more desirable, which puts that at greater risk for illicit returns I imagine. Still this whole promo almost isn't worth the trouble to me anymore.

Living Dead 07-22-07 10:49 PM

I'm going to be pissed if I get a bunch of DVD's that were intentionally fucked up, free or not.

oldchuckles 07-23-07 12:37 AM

I don't understand why Universal didn't simply unwrap (open) their HD-DVDs. It would take less time then "chain-sawing" the back of the DVDs twice over the UPC code. In that way, no one could return an "opened" DVD for a phony refund, and we customers would have a mint HD-DVD case and movie slip-cover which wasn't butchered on the backside.

Like I said before in an earlier post, these Universal HD-DVD cases and slip-covers are extremely unsightly and damaged to the degree that no pawn shop or even DVD Planet would purchase them as used DVDs!

Qui Gon Jim 07-23-07 07:50 AM

I finally got two of my three discs on Friday, and I too have the "chainsawwed" Apollo 13, which is ironically one of the titles that made me want to get an HD DVD player. It's crap. Has anyone complained yet?

obladioblada 07-25-07 06:58 PM

Got my free 5 yesterday. Took 6 weeks. Guess Im lucky. Although all 3 of my Universals have cuts across the UPC. Im gonna trade out the boxes with ones from BlockBuster rentals.

Th0r S1mpson 07-25-07 07:07 PM

Got mine yesterday as well. It was around 14 weeks I think.

All discs were fine but one case is badly mangled (the plastic is torn down badly about halfway).

Edit: Reading posts above looks like this is common?! Wow.

Cameron 07-26-07 11:47 AM

mine should be here any day now...

stingermck 08-16-07 05:02 PM

I got a card today basically saying:

"We must inform you that there has been a delay....our supplier has informed us that additional stock will be received shortly....if you wish to cancel please return this card"

Yeah let me cancel my free. Fantastic.

Bacon 08-16-07 05:16 PM

question:
I'm about to send off for mine will they accept the Fed Ex packing slip? Like an idiot I threw away the receipt, I think I did any way

amped 08-16-07 05:26 PM

They might, can't guarantee it.

I'm assuming you ordered it online, can't you print out the invoice from where you bought it from?

Just Lurking 08-16-07 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
I got a card today basically saying:

"We must inform you that there has been a delay....our supplier has informed us that additional stock will be received shortly....if you wish to cancel please return this card"

Yeah let me cancel my free. Fantastic.

I got the same postcard today. It listed a 09/15/07 ship date. While it is my birthday and would be a nice surprise. I found it strange that they predicted Saturday shipping day.

Jericho 08-16-07 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Just Lurking
I got the same postcard today. It listed a 09/15/07 ship date. While it is my birthday and would be a nice surprise. I found it strange that they predicted Saturday shipping day.

Same card, same ship date. I sent my rebate in over 2 months ago, so at least they're letting me know something. Although I doubt it takes that long to get HD DVDs back in stock

dcprules 08-16-07 09:40 PM

I got the same postcard today as well. Sent mine in around the beginning of June. At least a status update is nice.

Mr. Cinema 08-17-07 06:27 AM

I got my 5 free movies on 8/14 (2 months turnaround). On 8/16, I get the postcard saying the order is delayed, etc. Uh.....

Jericho 08-17-07 11:14 AM

I guess I can hold out hope these come soon. Everytime I see someone get them, I think I'd be next. I sent my in early June and it seems a lot of people who sent it in just before me where getting them. Sucks if one has to wait a whole nother month.