Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Children of Men" possible Korean Blu-ray release

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-07, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Found this link on another forum:

http://www.sphe.co.kr/movie/read_info.asp?idx=868

Apparently Sony has the Korean distribution rights to the film, and according to Sony's Korean website, this should be getting a BD release (along with VHS, surprisingly). It's also mentioned on the site's BD section when you click "All Blu-ray List". Anyone heard any other details about this? I love the film and although I'm planning to get a HD-DVD player very soon, I've heard some complaints about some of Universal's combo discs, so was kind of wary about buying this one on HD-DVD. If this BD looks as good, I'll want to get it (and Korea is region A ).
Old 06-09-07, 09:21 AM
Rom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most likely a mistake

Sony acquired the rights to distribute Universal titles in Korea for HV only. VHS and DVD of COM is a given. Blu-ray is a mistake. I wish it wasn't...

Sony is currently the only studio releasing Blu-ray at the moment. WB is to follow soon in fall. HD-DVD is currently available as import only in Korea.
Old 06-09-07, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by cultshock
I love the film and although I'm planning to get a HD-DVD player very soon, I've heard some complaints about some of Universal's combo discs, so was kind of wary about buying this one on HD-DVD.
Many of the Universal combo problems have been resolved by the latest HD DVD player firmware updates.

If you're still concerned, there is a non-Combo HD DVD release of the film in the UK.
Old 06-09-07, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Many of the Universal combo problems have been resolved by the latest HD DVD player firmware updates.

If you're still concerned, there is a non-Combo HD DVD release of the film in the UK.
That's good to know regarding the combos. Does the UK release have any sound pitch issues, or is that just a problem with some Studio Canal discs, and not any other European HD-DVDs? (I'm very sensitive about pitch)
Old 06-09-07, 12:33 PM

That's good to know regarding the combos. Does the UK release have any sound pitch issues, or is that just a problem with some Studio Canal discs, and not any other European HD-DVDs? (I'm very sensitive about pitch)
No pitch issues on the UK COM, I eventually gave up on the Combo after 3 discs wouldnt work and went with the UK release. I think the pitch issues are really with some of the SC releases.
Old 06-09-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good to hear, I might pick the UK one up then. Thanks!
Old 06-09-07, 01:44 PM

The problem is, UK discs are alot more expensive then US ones (even combos!).
Cheapest I think you can find COM that ship to the USA are SendIt and thats £16.89 with £1.60 airmail to the US, so that about ~$36.
Old 06-09-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The pitch problem only affected the first wave of Studio Canal discs. Children of Men is a Universal title in the UK, and they haven't had any audio issues.

Also, for what it's worth, the latest Studio Canal releases have accurate pitch.
Old 06-09-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KevD
The problem is, UK discs are alot more expensive then US ones (even combos!).
Cheapest I think you can find COM that ship to the USA are SendIt and thats £16.89 with £1.60 airmail to the US, so that about ~$36.
Amazon deducts VAT from international orders, so their price is £15.30.