Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Coming to America!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Coming to America!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-07, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coming to America!

Hi guys!

I was just wondering, I have the X-Box 360 HD-DVD add on with a couple of HD-DVD movies allready, but now this week, Coming To America is release both on regular and hd dvd.

The DVD Talk review is not very good on this title on HD, but it is on DVD, should I buy the regular edition or pay the extras bucks to get the HD edition?

it's like 15$ more, for an old comedy movie like this, should I spent this extra amount? Will it be a big difference in the picture quality and the extras?

thanks!!
Old 06-07-07, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Get the SD DVD version. There's really no reason to have a comedy from the '80s in high-def, if you ask me, especially at that price difference.
Old 06-07-07, 10:05 AM
Suspended

You can still get the HD disc for around $12 shipped from Buy.com with $10off GCO.
Old 06-07-07, 12:34 PM
AOD

Originally Posted by VeZZ82
Hi guys!

I was just wondering, I have the X-Box 360 HD-DVD add on with a couple of HD-DVD movies allready, but now this week, Coming To America is release both on regular and hd dvd.

The DVD Talk review is not very good on this title on HD, but it is on DVD, should I buy the regular edition or pay the extras bucks to get the HD edition?

it's like 15$ more, for an old comedy movie like this, should I spent this extra amount? Will it be a big difference in the picture quality and the extras?

thanks!!

$15 more? Where are you buying from. Do you live near a Fry's? It's $19.99 there. Yes, the HD DVD version is worth it. I picked it up on Tuesday and it looks fantastic for it's age.
Old 06-07-07, 08:07 PM
Suspended

I was wondering about this...didn't DDD have this at like 9.98 prior to release in HD (with no picutre)? I coulda swore I saw that!
Old 06-07-07, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Vipper II
Get the SD DVD version. There's really no reason to have a comedy from the '80s in high-def, if you ask me, especially at that price difference.
Huh? I take it that is an opinion that is in the minority....
Old 06-07-07, 10:27 PM

I live in Montreal, Canada, so there's no Fry's... The DVD is 9.99$CD and the HD-DVD is 24.99$CD
Old 06-07-07, 11:02 PM
AOD

I'm sure you could find a better deal if you looked around. I still think it's worth it to step up to the HD DVD version.

From hddvd.org....

Closing Thoughs:
This is a very funny movie. Watching the barber shop scenes and the debate about Joe Lewis and other boxers are scenes I fondly remember. I have not watched "Coming to America" in well over a decade. Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall are two funny and very talented men and it is too bad these two did not work together in a buddy film more than this one outing. I´ve heard rumors they have had a falling out, but they were very funny here. This is one of the very best Eddie Murphy films and took place in a time when Murphy films were expletive laden and very adult in their humor. Personally, I miss those days. The HD-DVD features strong visuals and solid sound that does the absolute best it can with the limited source materials. The all new features that are provided on the simultaneous release of all three formats feature John Landis and many lesser known personalities. Without any ´Star Power,´ they feel a bit weak, but a lot of information is provided. I want more valued added content, but considering this film has never been given much love on home video, they are warmly welcomed. This is the best release of the three Eddie Murphy films being released on June 5th.
Old 06-08-07, 04:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Councelor
I was wondering about this...didn't DDD have this at like 9.98 prior to release in HD (with no picutre)? I coulda swore I saw that!
Yep. $9.52 shipped. That's what I paid for it there.